Chain Maintenance

clarkp

Three questions:

1. How often do you clean your chain?
  2. How do you clean your chain? gasoline, citrus solution?...
  3. What chain lube have you settled on over the years?
  4. (on edit) How often do you re-lube your chain? Every trial?

I can't seem to find a chain lube that agrees with me... they're either too thick and gooey, too thin, get washed off onto my stator cover after a creek crossing, etc. What's the secret?

Edited by clarkp

Just power wash the chain when cleaning the bike, if you have a compressor blow the chain dry and then with a small paint brush apply clean car engine oil to the chain. Don't use solvents such as WD40 as this removes all the oil and grease from inside the rollers of the chain.

1) Every ride

2)I have washed my chain in petrol(I knew it was bad but not as bad as what has been said in the other post! So I will stop!) hang it up and leave to evaporate.

3)I have just ordered some chain wax as this will get right into the rollers! But previously I would soak it in engine oil over night and then remove and leave to drip over night again then fit! I know its long and is a pain in the a

Edited by seandellear

Soak in degreasing solution, then spray with brake cleaner to dissolve everything. Then but the tin of wax made by putoline and boil the chain in that and remove and wipe off gently so as not to remove too much of the wax. I do this once or twice a month. In between i use putoline chain lube that doesnt fly off. if not PJ1 chain lube is quite good. Hope this helps.