Photo Resizing

windlestone

:D  Hey Ian, JWhitfield from so. Cal.  I've got Photoshop LE but I'm still learning all the bells and whistles. I'd love to know how you created those B&W and Color combo shots. I'm always looking for a new twist to offer my customers. Thanks in advance.....

Hi,

There are a few ways, but this works:-

Copy your piccy.

One one copy use EXTRACT to mark the part you want to keep (be as detailed as you like), the wizard tells you what to do etc.

Go to the other copy and convert the whole image to b&w.

Paste the extracted images onto the b&w piccy.

Ian.

:D Since I'm at my work computer and not my home computer, I can only invision what your describing. Is "Extract" selected from a drop down on the top bar, or is it a tool from the tool bar? If it's a tool, what does it look like????

:lol::D Thanks Andy! That's exactly what I was looking for. Pictures, showing drop down options. Now I can step though my version of PS and compare exactly what the tutorial has and the options I have. The frustrating thing now is that my work day has only begun and I have to wait till this evening to give it a try.....well gotta get back to work...JW

tWhy do people still use Adobe photoshop? Over priced and over complecated, And generates huge files. People selling it say it is the best. I have used both Photoshop and Paintshop pro and favor PSP if there is anyone out there that can tell me what can photoshop do that PSP can't as I am very intrested to find out twhy photoshop is so much more expensive.

tWhy do people still use Adobe photoshop? Over priced and over complecated, And generates huge files. People selling it say it is the best. I have used both Photoshop and Paintshop pro and favor PSP if there is anyone out there that can tell me what can photoshop do that PSP can't as I am very intrested to find out twhy photoshop is so much more expensive.

Hi,

I had been using PSP since version 3......that's quite a few years! I recently switched to Photoshop to see what all the fuss was about. I made sure I 'had' to use it by removing PSP off my system.

Some 4 or 5 weeks later now, I can safely say I won't be going back.

It is expensive, but there are a few things that Photoshop has over PSP that made it worthwhile for me.

1. Access to hundreds of downloadable ACTIONS to automate many, many processes and effects. For instance I just love the ISO NOISE removal action.

2. Making and manipulating SELECTIONS is easier and much better.

3. The EXTRACT feature is great, makes life so much easier.

4. I find working with LAYERS more intuitive in Photoshop. PSP changed something at around version 6 or 7 that started pushing me away from it.

.........and probably much more.

Ian.

I had been using PSP since version 3......that's quite a few years! I recently switched to Photoshop to see what all the fuss was about. I made sure I 'had' to use it by removing PSP off my system.

Hehehe. I was close to doing similar purely to make me use Potatoshop. I installed PSP 8 and it ground my PC to a halt - AMD 1.7 with 786Mb RAM. I will get into Photoshop soon, but in the meantime I've downgraded back to PSP 7.

If you have to ask that question you do not know Photoshop it is one of the most powerful retouching tools available used by all Illustrators and designers in the Advertising Business --Newspaper Bus etc. etc. :D:lol:

Vinnie

Edited by Vinnied

While i'm asking if i take a photo of a moving bike it comes out blurred if i change to a different shutter speed the pic comes out dark. Any ideas where i'm going wrong?

You probably aren't panning the camera.

You need to follow the action of the rider to reduce motion blur, especially if you aren't using a flash. The most common cause of a poor trials shot is a stationary camera. The telltale sign--everything is sharp, except the bike/rider.

• 2 weeks later...

yep yep :D , panning the camera will make the rider more in focus because the autofocus locks onto the rider instead of the rock. And since the camera is moving, it recognizes the blur and often uses the widest Aperture (lowest number) and the fasted shutter speed.

I have a question for you smart PhotoPeople. EXACTLY (no guesses please) what does the camera change when you change the ISO settings. I know that with film it is relative to the number of particles and how sensitive they are to light (faster film = larger particles that are more light sensitive). With film, as you increase the film speed the pictures become more grainy because there is less definition in the negative. But since a Digital Camera doesn't use film, how is it possible to change the ISO? Meaning that even though you set it to be more light sensitive, there is still the same amount of grains ("light sensors"/pixels in a digital camera's situation) in the "film". Know what I mean?

And another question. Does anyone have much to say about the digital camera : Sony Cybershot DSC-F707. I know that they changed the model number to F717, but is there any difference? I just bought a F707 through Ebay and might return in under warranty and get the F717 because bright lights send streeks across the LCD Screen. (well, once in a while it does that) It's been a great camera for the past few days, just got it and took some cool picture at the World Round at Duluth, MN, USA. I observed the event on Saturday (it rained and was really muddy) and then on Sunday I spectated (it was great out). My camera is 5mp effective, with the 5x optical Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar zoom. ::(:

So yeah, those are my questions. Thanks, TravisJ

Edited by travisj

:( another question. I've heard different comments from different people, but how large of a picture can a 5mp file print at the photo developers without looking any different than a 35mm film negative. I'm wondering if I can make prints from my camera at the same quality as the film (like my Maxxum 4 SLR (35-90mm))

Thanks everyone, TravisJ :D

post-20-1086727237.jpg

Edited by travisj