Timing

scoobie

Hi,

Does the manual on the USA website regarding 'timing' cover the 04 models as well? It states in the blurb that it only covers up to 03.

I havn't got access to an impact driver or dial gauge just normal sockets and a strobe. I realise that I need to get a flywheel puller, but will I be able to do it with what I've got?

It may sound a silly question but do the flywheel retaining nut and the flywheel puller (once inserted), both follow the usual clockwise tighten/anti-clockwise loosen? For some reason I've got it in my head that one of these is oppossite, so I'd thought I'd check before trying.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Before I checked the timing I decided to run the bike and have a play but the damn thing won't start???

It ran fine before I serviced it; all I've done is clean out the carb, clean and gap the plug etc. There is spark when I hand crank it over, although it's weak. There is fuel getting to the carb and to the plug and I've had the carb off about 15 times to recheck the jets - no-blockages at all, and all connections to the carb are airtight. ( I can now remove the carb, clean it out and get it back on in 20 minutes - at least something good has come out of it!!!)

The filter has been washed and re-oiled, and I'm using 70:1 mix of unleaded and TTS.

It doesn't even want to start and I'm using choke and no-throttle.

The only options I can think of are:

1). The fuel is out of a jerry can and has been in there since summer.

2). I need a new plug, although I'm getting a spark - new ones should be arriving tommorrow.

3). 1000:1 shot is the last time I had it running the woodruff key sheared/broke just before I serviced it.

I rang Rathmell's and they said 1). shouldn't matter, nor 2). really as I'm getting a spark and he doesn't think 3). could have happened.

Any ideas anyone as I'm nearly out of them.

Hi,

Neo you were right it was the plug - started 2nd kick :D

However!!! As soon as it starts it's revving highly and I have to hit the kill switch - it does this with or without choke. Took the carb off (again!) and took out the choke mechanism and cleaned it (seems to be working OK), noticed that the float needle was falling quite far out of its seat before hitting the float arm at an angle so that it could - in some instances - jam open.

I bent the rear brass tang so that it could only drop so far and not stick, cleaned out all the jets, put the carb back, made sure there all connections were tight, and made sure that the throttle slide was in correctly.

No joy :guinness:

It was exactly the same - high revving from the off without choke with the revs increasing.

I've not removed the needle, but I've read somewhere that to make sure that it hadn't 'turned' - what does that mean?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bilco,

The throttle slide will only go in one way because of a groove in the throttle body. Ive taken a picture below of the rear of the carb with the slide in place and 'fully closed':

IMG_0751.jpg

The revving starts at about 1/3 throttle rising quickly.

Slide seem's to be sitting to high you should'nt be able to see the needle.

have you adjusted the adjuster to much either at the top of the carb or at the throttle on the bar's.If it's not that then take the cable off the throttle at the bar's and see if the slide drop's,when you've done that pull the cable then release,you should hear a nice crisp clunck from the slide as it hit's the bottom of the carb.

so if it's not been adjusted to much the cable could be to short.

I took the cable out at both ends, lubed it and lubed the throttle mechanism. The throttle slide now seats and the throttle is really snappy.

However, now it won't start again??? There is a spark (new plug) and fuel is getting to the cylinder. I'm at a loss as to what else to try apart from taking it to a garage.

One thing I did notice while trying to kick it over is a noise akin to a really wheezy horn echoing down the pipe to the end can. It might have been doing it all along, but I've only just noticed.

So in summation; with the throttle slide sticking open it started first kick with/without choke and revved out. With the throttle slide seating properly it won't start at all???

By the way, when I got the bike the bloke said it had a slow action throttle. The throttle tube is black but it seems to be as snappy as any throttle I've used before - what's the difference?

Hi,

No it ran fine, but had been stood since last October so I decided to service it from top to bottom; dog bones all bearings, oil, fork oil, replaced all brake fluids, cleaned and oiled air filter etc, etc.

Then all I did was remove the carb, clean it out, check the float height, and now it just won't run. Can't understand it - done it many times before on other bikes without a problem. The only thing that threw me at first was the float height as the floats arn't attached - which I've never had before - but got the info of the Dell'Orto site and from here.

Considering how much free time I'm using on the bike, and the cost of paying a mechanic - how much is a complete carb new?