Road Registering ?

dirt_monkey

If you can get a certificate of newness and a day time MOT, it's straight forward.

You will need insurance on the frame number, then go along to a DVLA office with your payment and you should come away with a tax disc and a reg number.

depending on which dvla office you go to you may have to take the bike for inspection

ring first or have a wasted jouney,as i had last week!!!!

It's the luck of the draw with the inspection thing. I've registered four trials bikes and two enduro bikes myself and just the once they asked to inspect the bike. That was at Worcester.

The inspection is merely a check to say that the machine is what you say it is. Engine and frame number, two wheels... yep, that'll do sir.

When you do go, you will need to take a ticket and join the queue.

There is a help desk who will tell you if you have the right form, so if in doubt it's worth going there before joing the queue. I've waited three hours in the past, you'd be gutted to do that only to find you've not got the right paperwork.

Miss your place in the queue and go to the back.

Avoid the end/begining of the month and forget the new reg weeks. 1st Sept and 1st March.

If you can get a certificate of newness and a day time MOT, it's straight forward.

You will need insurance on the frame number, then go along to a DVLA office with your payment and you should come away with a tax disc and a reg number.

It's all to do with if you have the above available and if you can deal with the hasstle ?, what kind of bike and the balance between selling it and buying a road reg bike.

It can be a lot of trouble :D

Cheers for the info guys much appreaciated.

couple of questions....

1) where would i get a cert of newnss? as its a private sale i would be getting the bike from.

2) how long does the process usualy take once all neccessery paper work is in hand ?

cheers.

jim,,,

The original supplying dealer might/should have the cert of newness, failing that the importer will give you a letter stating the year of manufacture. This may cost something, I registered a TTR enduro bike using a letter from Yamaha and they charged

its a common thread and I wrote this article to describe registering older bikes with age-related plates. For more recent bikes, all dealers should have provided a certificate for type approval that shows it can be road registered.

Vehicle inspections vary from office to DVLA office; Worcester I've found always inspect. Cardiff don't

Edited by malcra

I always understood that you only needed a certificate of newness IF you wanted an age related plate - if you aren't bothered then it can be registered without, but it will be Q plated.

Techno head

You may be right on this one, I have never considered a Q plate as most of the bikes I have registered have been new.

Even the TTR enduro bike I registered was new, it was a parrallel import which didn't come with the certificate of newness, this was why I obtained a letter stating the year of manufacture from Yamaha. I was then given a plate dating from the start of that year.

Before you go for a Q plate, check out any possible insurance problems. I have a feeling some companies don't like Q's.

Edited by scorpa3

Before you go for a Q plate, check out any possible insurance problems. I have a feeling some companies don't like Q's.

The one other thing I know is that a Q plated vehicle doesn't have to be the final word. I tried and failed many years ago to get an age related plate for an old Aprilia. The man said that if I could get better evidence then Q plates can be changed to age related no problem.

Techno head