Model 199b Do I Modify Or Not?

old trials fanatic

No, the spindle doesn't go through the engine, it is mounted either side of the engine

So you have two "stub" spindles then? Wouldn't that make the handling "interesting"? Or do the "stub" spindles mate with a female that's been grafted onto the rear of the motor. Pic doesn't show that much detail.

There is no attachment to the engine. They are just the stub spindles you mention, mounted directly to the frame plates either side but I couldn't see exactly how as it is all very tight. I think just a bolt pushed through the bush from the inside and a nut on the outside. The spindle is so much closer to the final drive than on Vesty's bike. It worked well as JR had some good results on it when the Bult was past it's best and up against 240 Fantics etc.

Maintenance nightmare though as just to get the clutch case off looks like removal of the swingarm or the engine....

Edited by Woody

Old Trials Fanatic. I notice from your original photo's that the bike is fitted with an Amal Mk2 carb. This is the standard fit for a 198b (250cc/5 speed box) A 199b 340 should have a Bing.

Is the bike a 199b and does it run OK with the Amal?

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

I agree with the comments regarding the Bing. This is why I was surprised to see a picture of a 340 with an Amal and questioned if it was a 340 or in fact a 250cc model 198B which had the Amal as standard.

And, Legs..................How would you know, I understand that you never like riding these Bultaco thingies :hyper:

Stuart

And, Legs..................How would you know, I understand that you never like riding these Bultaco thingies :hyper:

Stuart

oooooohhh - the mark up on your parts has just increased....... :D

Dabster, what about these frames, are they 340?

Twinnshock the bike is EXACTLY as it was when Legs sold it to me !

At some time, when i get around to restoring it, i was intending to fit a Bing. Need a second mortguage for Legs prices though :D

Actually it runs fine. People who have tried it said it was a bit softer on power, may mean less, than others they had tried but i understand that Bultacos are very sensitive to ignition timing and exhaust condition so i cant really say.

As i said when i bought it off Legs it came with an Amal. Perhaps it's his way of getting a little extra out of me :hyper:

He probably will.

Edited by Old trials fanatic