Armstrong/can-am/ccm 80's Mono-shock.

gaff

Hiya, just fitted new spindle for the CCM that was made by CSP Engineering (01732) 886366, works an absolute dream, perfect workmanship.

Just want to take this opportunity to thank r2wtrials for the tip, Cheers mate !

All i have to do now is give the forks a total rebuild.

Gaff.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are five pictures of my 1987 300 AT Can-Am. I took it with me to the US World Round in Duluth and set it up with Team Montesa. I found Jeff Smith and he autographed the tank. He also told me that 25 bikes made it to the United States and Canada in 1986-87. He said it was a 260 engine. The plate is welded on the muffler over the SWM. The Lampkins checked out the bike. This bike is either 11 or 12 out of the 25 shipped. The frame number is 28 TM 012. Tag steering neck number is BOMBACM 854500011. The bike had 98 miles on it when I bought it. I freed up the clutch plates and it now has 102 miles. I am looking for a set of original tires, a parts manual, a service manual, and sales brochures. I hope this helps. A couple of photos below; more at my website: BobK Webpage Bob K.

can-am_snap.jpgjeff_smith_snap.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi ive just registered.

I was wonderin if any one could tell me anything about the armstrong cmt 310, It has a hiro / sammy miller engine.(its a twin shock)

Parts are non exsistant and thats all i know.

Edited by cmtstu

Didn't mean to hit the post there,

my dad got hold of the 320 Hiro engined CAN-AM that Kurt Comer road in the Scottish in 1981 or 82 ( i think), direct from the factory through a dealer in Kilmarnock at the time. He rode number 222 that year cos one the plates is still in my dad's garage at home. Comer retired from the Scottish after jamming the bike in third or fourth gear.

Don't know if it's the same one, would doubt it but you never know

dy

I traded in my ex-John Lampkin TL280 SWM (plastic tank) for Nick Jefferies' 250 Armstrong. So I had experience of both the Rotax and Hiro engines.

I thought the Hiro engine was much better than the Rotax. It was really smooth with a nice light clutch, whereas the Rotax was a bit of a lump and the odd clutch actuating mechanism required constant TLC to keep it snag-free.

The Armstrong was relatively light and easy to maintain and a bit different from the ubiquitous Fantics at the time (the 250 especially).

NJ had fitted mine with trick Fox air shocks (red body with blue and white springs) which I used to take to Keith Horsman in Silsden for servicing (this guy is a genius engineer and used to do a lot of work for Mick Andrews when he was a works Ossa rider). I also had the exhaust header chrome-plated - looked a treat!

Eeh them whar t' days!

If my mates 240 mono does not sell I'm thinking of buying it for myself, be a nice mount in the aircooled mono class.

RS has mentioned the engine spares are easy to come by but what about mudguards and the like?

Edited by Marky G

Well my armstrong has a hiro engine and is living proof of how strong they are i agree that they never ever seem to run right and mine has a tendancy to run out of fuel and then decide its had enough for a day. it just sorta packs up an we have no idea why. However my dad is quite a big guy but it pulls him any where and doesnt even struggle. which is amazing considering the beating that its taken since my grandad bought it years ago. it hadnt been started for about 11 yrs i got it out cleaned the spark plug changed the oil and it was away.