Has Your Carrier Rusted?

beta bodger

I bought a carrier not so long ago from a reputable dealer (name removed for fairness, but a major name).

The carrier came zinc plated and is now covered in surface rust.

Although the carrier is not going to break is does look particulary crap on the back of my car.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I am tempted to take it off and paint it but shouldn't the zinc plating prevent this......anyway im sure hamerright wont take to the zinc straight off.

I have a slight rust problem on my DC trailer but having said that its over a year old ....... had to have a new wheel hub from new as well, I sent it back to DC and they recon they have not had any other cases like this and blamed me for tampering with the wheel bearing ! ...... have to say though, after the initial problem it has been perfect and pulls behind the car at 80 -90 no probs..... would buy another.

I bought one over 10 years ago from Armitages, they used to advertise in the back of the comic. It's still as good as new, instead of electozinc plating and yellow passivating (very very thin), they used good old hot dip galvanising.

Worth taking your rack to the local galvanisers? it's not as pretty electrozinc, but it lasts.