06 2.9 Killing My Leg!

shercrazy

HELLO, MY 06 2.9 IS A REAL PAIN TO GET STARTED WHEN I DON'T RIDE IT FOR A WHILE, IT IS STORED INDOORS AND WARM, BUT IT SEEMS I HAVE TO KICK IT FOREVER TO START IT? ONCE IT STARTS IT RUNS GREAT, COULDN'T BE BETTER?THEN I STOP AND IT WILL START UP AFTER A FEW KICKS BUT SOMETIMES I NEED TO CHOKE IT (WHEN IT'S WARM) I JUST DON'T GET IT ? IT HAS THE RIGHT JETS AND EVERYTHING, IT IS JUST A PAIN (ON MY LEG) AND TO SHOW UP TO RIDE AND MY BUDS OLDER SHERCOS FIRE RIGHT UP? SEEMS LIKE IT IS LEAN IF I NEED TO CHOKE IT TO START IT ONCE WARM? ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT, I JUST WANT TO WORK OUT ALL THE BUGS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS! THANKS!..................................JOHN

THE GUY I GOT IT FROM RAN IT VERY LEAN WITH A 33 IN IT, SO I HAD HIM PUT THE 36 BACK IN, HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT HE MAY HAVE FILED THE SLIDE TO MAKE IT LEAN ALSO? HE'S A REAL OLD GUY, THATS WHY I GOT THE BIKE, HE HARDLY BEAT IT AT ALL, BUT I WAS THERE AND HE TOOK A 33 OUT OF IT, AND PUT THE 36 IN, HE SAID IF IT IS HARD TO START TIP IT OVER ON IT'S SIDE AND THEN START IT TO GET THE BOWL FILLED? HE CLAIMED THE 36 WOULD MAKE IT START EASIER BUT NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE, I LOVE THE BIKE, I HAVE NO REGRETS ON SWITCHING TO SHERCO FROM BETA EXCEPT MY BETA STARTED SECOND KICK NO MATTER WHAT, I WAS TOLD THE 36 IS WHAT SHOULD BE IN IT FOR WHERE I'M AT IN PENNSYLVANIA, THE MAN SHOULD KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, HE FOUNDED OUR CLUB IN THE 70'S AND HAS WON NUMEROUS NATIONAL TITLES, AND HE WRENCHED ON HIS OWN BIKES.I JUST DON'T WANT TO CALL HIM EVERY DAY WITH THIS AND THAT ABOUT A BIKE I BOUGHT AS IS............................. IT'S PROBABLY A SIMPLE FIX? THANKS.......................JOHN

Huuummmmmm, must be Jerry's bike! God only knows what he has done to it! Just kidding.

For one thing, it cannot be very warm in Penn. cause it has been really cold in Texas! It IS still winter you know! The bikes will cool down quickly and may require choke on startup, but usually first kick after thay have run, maybe 5 kicks stone cold in cold weather. Below about 40f you may need to tip the bike over to spill a bit of fuel on first start.

Start with the basics!

The 36 pilot should be fine if the carb is clean. Ck it again and blow it out with air. Choke jet too and inspect little o-ring around it! About 3 turn out on the fuel screw for starters and adjust from there.

Try a new plug, BP5ES is two bucks, set at .020-.023 gap.

The Irridium plug is better(add a tenner) BPR5EIX set .023-.025 and has some design advantages for cold starting and low speed running.

If the slide has been modded, I just wonder if there may be something going on which is making it difficult to pick up fuel from the pilot jet?

Ck your fuel! Premium winter blend pump gas will do, but you really need a bit higher octane to prevent pinging! I use a blend ov avgas 50/50 in the winter. But that is me. Whatever you are using has to atomize well in cooler weather.

Phone Jerry!

My 2c

Its not the cold weather, my Sherco is tough to start in these Northeast temperature also, BUT once warmed up, starts first kick.

Sounds like it is getting too much fuel? When we had a hard time starting a bike, after awhile we would shut the gas off and tip it over to drain the bowl, similar to what you are doing, Bikes would start right away. Also, Whenever I would forget to turn the gas off on my Beta, the next day I would kick it forever to start it. If the gas was turned off,( for the night) starting was no problem at all.

Maybe a float level issue? Could be as simple as jetting.

yes it is jerry's, well was jerry's, anyways, i talked to him and he said he did file the slide on the air box side, and we did put a 36 jet in it, he normally ran a 33, very lean if you ask me but that's his set up? he really likes that set up, but hell for a guy in his late 60's you'd think he would be crippled from kicking? (ha ha)he also said if anything he would trade me carbs, my 06 for his 07? i guess he did a lot to get it just how he liked it so we could just swap? now is that something we could do? would it change a lot, mine is a delorto, i think his is a keihn? or whatever? i'm real glad to know those guys are willing to go out of their way to help, ryan read my posting and called his dad and told him to make it right! i'm glad for that! good sherco support! anyways that is what i found out, a little extra info, kinda sounds easier to just swap carbs. , if possible?..............................................john

If he has a stock '07 it is the same carb. He may prefer his ole one anyway as the setup he runs is smooth.

I would never be worried about calling him as he has a wealth of knowledge and can help you a lot in many ways.

Good guy to know! He will take care of you!

You may need to buy the beer! :lol:

hey thanks for all the info, i apreciate it! yes jerry is a great guy, he has a lot of stories to tell, but yes i am glad to say he's my friend! i had so many different bikes to choose from to buy, but i know he has a life long history of trials and he likes to make things right, plus a new buddy to drink beer with!...................... thanks again...........JOHN

it has mega compression, i'm a small guy and i have to really hoss on it to start it, since it has warmed up it starts a lot easier, and the slide has been filed, jerry did a lot of carb. mods while he had it so he's gonna either switch it back or swap me for his 07 carb.? don't matter to me as long as i don't get worn out before the event even starts from kicking it so much! thanks for all your help!

got it all fixed up! we just swapped carbs. he liked the setup on the 06 so he gave me the 07 one, now it fires up second or third kick from cold, first once warm! now i'm ready for the season! thanks.......................................john

• 11 months later...