Right Direction

fredster

Dear All

May I introduce myself, I am 45 years of age and have NEVER owned a trials bike, ok, I've said it, now that's out of the way!

I did however, once enter a trial on a year old (at the time!!) Montesa Cota 349. This was owned by a friend who used to pick up a previous year's sponsored bikes from Robinson's in Rochdale. It was a cross discipline (not dressing!!)AMCA event, and open to anyone who could blag a bike. I didn't do well at all and fell off everywhere, but then again I was Moto X rider (limited skill!!) and tried to ride it somewhat similar!!

Anyway, that was way back then, and although I thoroughly enjoyed it at the time, I've never followed it up, or had a reason too, until now.

I now have access to quite an area of farm land to muck around on, most of it hilly, wooded and some rocky with a section of river(big stream) running through it, so it would be a shame to miss this opportunity.

What I would like, is a nicely engineered, reliable bike that I can ride around on for a couple of hours, put away and get out whenever I want. Factors to consider are, I'm six foot and fifteen stone, don't at this point (never say never) want to compete, like nice tackle (usually lasts longer, easier to sell) and would consider a new bike.

I've always kept road bikes since the MX days and I've also got a KTM300 Enduro, so I do know one end of a bike from the other, but NOT trials bikes, so your views and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

On another note, before the Internet, this kind of request would have involved, reading everything trials related, joining a club, buying your new mate's "highly recommended, you'll be alright" cast off, and spending the next 12 months trying to shift it on. I'm still in favour of clubs, and had some of my best times as a member, but for quick, to the point advice you can't beat this. Well done for putting the site together.

Regards and Cheers! :D

Dear All

May I introduce myself, I am 45 years of age and have NEVER owned a trials bike, ok, I've said it, now that's out of the way!

I did however, once enter a trial on a year old (at the time!!) Montesa Cota 349. This was owned by a friend who used to pick up a previous year's sponsored bikes from Robinson's in Rochdale. It was a cross discipline (not dressing!!)AMCA event, and open to anyone who could blag a bike. I didn't do well at all and fell off everywhere, but then again I was Moto X rider (limited skill!!) and tried to ride it somewhat similar!!

Anyway, that was way back then, and although I thoroughly enjoyed it at the time, I've never followed it up, or had a reason too, until now.

I now have access to quite an area of farm land to muck around on, most of it hilly, wooded and some rocky with a section of river(big stream) running through it, so it would be a shame to miss this opportunity.

What I would like, is a nicely engineered, reliable bike that I can ride around on for a couple of hours, put away and get out whenever I want. Factors to consider are, I'm six foot and fifteen stone, don't at this point (never say never) want to compete, like nice tackle (usually lasts longer, easier to sell) and would consider a new bike.

I've always kept road bikes since the MX days and I've also got a KTM300 Enduro, so I do know one end of a bike from the other, but NOT trials bikes, so your views and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

On another note, before the Internet, this kind of request would have involved, reading everything trials related, joining a club, buying your new mate's "highly recommended, you'll be alright" cast off, and spending the next 12 months trying to shift it on. I'm still in favour of clubs, and had some of my best times as a member, but for quick, to the point advice you can't beat this. Well done for putting the site together.

Regards and Cheers! :thumbup:

Fredster,

You'll get the standard replies here:

1. I'll say Beta because thats what I've got and because Gas Gas, Sherco, Scorpa and Montesa are rubbish

2. Cota Kid will say Montesa because thats what he's got and that Gas Gas, Sherco, Scorpa and Beta are rubbish

3. Lew Gas Gas will say Gas Gas because thats what he's got and that Montesa, Sherco, Scorpa and Beta are rubbish....... etc etc etc

Get the picture :D

Best answer is try to ride as many different bikes as you can before you settle on one. There's NO BAD BIKES these days choice comes down to what suits you and what feels right

Happy Trialing

Edited by Slapshot 3

1. I'll say Beta because thats what I've got and because Gas Gas, Sherco, Scorpa and Montesa are rubbish

2. Cota Kid will say Montesa because thats what he's got and that Gas Gas, Sherco, Scorpa and Beta are rubbish

3. Lew Gas Gas will say Gas Gas because thats what he's got and that Montesa, Sherco, Scorpa and Beta are rubbish....... etc etc etc

I know your probably only making a point from mine and cota's name but ...

how rude!

lol i am quite neutral with views about bikes what i usually say is go out and try ever bike , its going to be yours so you may as well like it.

Where abouts you from fredster ??

I know your probably only making a point from mine and cota's name but ...

how rude!

lol i am quite neutral with views about bikes what i usually say is go out and try ever bike , its going to be yours so you may as well like it.

Where abouts you from fredster ??

Could have said any names Lewis, but you have Gas Gas in your "handle", Cota Kid likewise

Welcome to TC Fredster.

As you've already seen, you'll never get a straightforward answer to such an open question on here. Everyone means well and generally you will get the very best advice available if you ask for a specific solution to a problem. But asking what bike is best is like asking which football team do you support.

Many people also say that it's best to got for a 200 or a 250 (which would be my advice) however, there a lot of club riders on 270/280/290/300, so that's no real help.

One thing which is fairly certain is that any modern, well looked after trials bike will do the job. Obviously the newer the better, however there are also older bargains to be had if you know what you are looking for..... now that's where this forum will come into it's own.

For example (and taking a random bike straight off the top of my head) if you saw a Yamaha TY250 mono for sale and you were going to have a look. Ask for the things to look for and problems likely to be encountered with a TY and you'll get some very good answers in the Yamaha forum.

Once you do get a bike, have a go at a local club trial..... you'll find it a sociable experience and a lot less 'clicky' than mx or road racing.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what bike you go for.

Scorpa SY/TY 175. There is one in the classifieds here, (not mine). I have a 125 I am 5' 11" and around 14.5 stone and it will take me where the 250s go in a trial no problem. I think there are a couple going to be in the SSDT this year, so dont be put off by the size of the motor, which is aircooled Yamaha, so no messing with coolant, rads and fans. End of the day wash it off put it away until the next time. Cheers :D

There you go, a straight forward answer, so what you waiting for, get it spent.

Edited by bo drinker

Scorpa SY/TY 175. There is one in the classifieds here, (not mine). I have a 125 I am 5' 11" and around 14.5 stone and it will take me where the 250s go in a trial no problem. I think there are a couple going to be in the SSDT this year, so dont be put off by the size of the motor, which is aircooled Yamaha, so no messing with coolant, rads and fans. End of the day wash it off put it away until the next time. Cheers :D

There you go, a straight forward answer, so what you waiting for, get it spent.

He's got a point you know :thumbup:

Otherwise Montesa 4RT if you dont mind spending a bit. However and this may or may not be a consideration. Trials bikes do depreciate rather a lot and you did say about "moving it on at a later date" the 4RT should move on ok perhaps better than some others but the price of second hand Trials bikes tends to be quite low, relatively speaking, expect to loose 50% after 2 years. So bear this in mind. Perhaps a little used second hand 4 stroke might be an idea? They are pretty rugged and reliable.

Welcome to the fold anyway.

Hi guys,

Hi Fredster, Forty Five you say,

Well I would save some years on us old guys, and go straight for a good Pre-65 class bike, one that as got all the hidden bits and starts first kick, Not only will this be a joy to own, but will be an investment for the future as well.

Good luck with what ever you choose, and Welcome to some of the best bunch of Guys on the Planet.

Regards Charlie.

Fredster, I'm also a newbie to this sport and have found this site to be a real help. I won't try to advise you on bikes because I'm not expeienced enough to comment on what's out there.

I will say this though, get out to a few local clubs and speak to people. I have been amazed at what a friendly welcoming bunch the triallers I've met so far have been. Everyone seems willing to help a new-comer. I have been invited out to practice wih people which has proved great fun, been given loads of free advice and generally been encouraged to get stuck in. I've always been into more solitary biking and not been a competition type bloke but this is changing.

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in this year.

Cheers,

Glenn.

PS I've bought a Scorpa SY250 which I think is a thing of absolute beauty. However I keep falling off the bloody thing so don't take my advice! (If anyone can suggest a bike that you don't fall off please PM me!)

The most robust bike in terms of dropping it on rocks and least work i would say is Beta. The frame is alloy like Montesa which will not dent if dropped like Gasgas or Sherco and Scorpa the petrol tanks look pretty but seen one or two damaged which i guess is expensive. The Beta 250 flywheel weight on or off is a good all rounder soft to ride and good with grip. Gasgas and Sherco are more liverly but maybe suite a seasoned rider as they in my opinion are slight level higher in the expert field. Montesa four stroke is robust but may or may not suite you as it will ride different to a two stroke and cost of maintainence and purchase is to be kept in mind.

Best of luck

I would seriously consider a montesa 315 (2 stroke), You say about this large area of land and with one of these, you can either fly round the place, jump it, or even trial it :D

Also you appear to want to chuck it in the shed and use it as and when you want to, this bike wont mind that, unlike some other brands like gassers and sherco's (i own a sherco)

I have never owned a montesa, but my mate has one, never looks after it properly and its fine mechanically and it has been covered in mud for about a year.........

hope you have fun.

Edited by Essex Rider