Second Hand Majesty

jack_h

craig mawlem is up and running having frames made by mick whitlock from the original shirty designs

http://www.yamaha-majesty.com/index.php?cPath=33

bikes are rarely availble even on ebay and something genuine regardless of condition is likely to set you back a grand .I suspect a ready to ride 250 would set you back over 2k

building your own 200 majesty from a donor (450) mawlem frame (450) tank (175) 200 kit (300) puts you in the nice competative/ 'restored' bike catagory for less than 2k

• Like 1

craig mawlem is up and running having frames made by mick whitlock from the original shirty designs

http://www.yamaha-majesty.com/index.php?cPath=33

bikes are rarely availble even on ebay and something genuine regardless of condition is likely to set you back a grand .I suspect a ready to ride 250 would set you back over 2k

building your own 200 majesty from a donor (450) mawlem frame (450) tank (175) 200 kit (300) puts you in the nice competative/ 'restored' bike catagory for less than 2k

Hmmm....unless you decide to go the 250/320 route which then sets you back

or virtually any twinshock mont for under 600 ( i have an ulf karlson in the garage!)(not for sale)

Although having pulled my beta out for its annual ride at the weekend I cant believe I forget what a nice bike it is, and a bargain to buy and maintain when compared to my cub.

Edited by totalshell

or virtually any twinshock mont for under 600 ( i have an ulf karlson in the garage!)(not for sale)

Although having pulled my beta out for its annual ride at the weekend I cant believe I forget what a nice bike it is, and a bargain to buy and maintain when compared to my cub.

Wondered what happened to Ulf.........whats he doing sitting in your garage ? :blink:

I had a UKR from new in 1976, at the time it was the best bike out there and I cant beleive how they haven't become popular again. Seem to be a lot of them being used in Spain, and an easy bike to restore as all the bits are still available.

Martin

Unfortunately the Majesty route is pretty expensive. Thanks to a tip off on this forum I am in the middle of building a 250 Mick Andrews framed Majesty. The frame is a beautiful piece of work and worth every penny. Will post some photos when completed.

Ulfs only been out twice in the 5 years he's been staying with me. Won first time out and second the next, nothing left to prove . no work required ,

success ..... the enemy of all fiddlers.

Edited by totalshell

Another option is to buy a TY250, of which there are plenty around for low cost and do most of the mods that were done to make them a Majesty - unless you specifically want a Majesty for the name, but a modified TY will be just as good.

Reposition the shocks like Majesty

320 the engine with new liner and DT360 piston and a spacer (2mm roughly) under the barrell to restore port timing. Crankcase will need opening out to take thicker liner but not by much, can be done with a dremel I'm told, with care, no need to split the motor.

Leave it as a 250, a lot of 250 Majesties had standard motors, not all were tweaked. Birkett's will tweak a 250 for you.

Fit a Majesty tank from Craig Mawlam, he still has some full size tanks left (or did) or the new fibreglass mini majesty type

Majesty engine was lifted in frame for more ground clearance (don't know how this was achieved but it's about 14" clearance....) but in my opinion it's not really necessay as the standard TY with decent shocks and front forks (TY mono front end?) should have ample clearance. The front pipe was shortened in height on the Majesty due to the engine being lifted. The lower engine should balance it a bit better too.

If an exhaust is needed, a Sammy Miller front pipe and WES sliencer system will go straight on a standard TY250. The front pipe is too long for a Majesty due to latter being shortened, reason as above, so they don't sit quite right.

So, for not too much work (less if you leave it as a 250) and a lot less money you will have a bike that will perform just as well as a Majesty, it's just not a genuine one, but what does that matter if it rides like you want.

Other things such as electronic ignition, lowering and repositioning footrests etc, all very much personal choice.

In terms of engine cc, my preference is the 320. Amazing torque but can be made very docile off the bottom, not sharp at all, can be ridden around off the throttle without having to clutch it, but when you want it to go, it will go. People who say they are too much of an animal should try them when they are softened. Very rideable.

Alternatively, if it is just a good twinshock you want, buy a Fantic 240, the best of the lot and one that needs no mods, just get on and ride.

Majesty engine was lifted in frame for more ground clearance (don't know how this was achieved but it's about 14" clearance....)

Was this actualy done? I'm not sure to me it just looks like the extra clearance is due to having the bottom frame rails removed, perhaps someone can enlighten us?

Scott.

A standard TY250 does not have rails like the standard TY175 frame. TY250 frames which Shirt used for the first Majestys' were cut down and the sump guard mounts repositioned. The tool box section was then cut into to allow the spark plug to fit the new higher position.

I'd like to explain my conspiracy theory about the early Majesty frames based on the TY250 frame.

I have studied photos of Majestys of the type that use the modified Yamaha TY250 frame till I'm blue in the face and am not convinced that the motor mounts were moved in the frame. Yes I know that is what is said in the famous magazine test "In The Rough" when these early Majestys were publicised but I reckon it is bunkum. Yes the motor is higher from the ground than in a TY250 fame but it is done with two simple modifications:

One is that the swingarm is set at a steeper angle down at full droop. This lifts the rear.

The other is that the main frame loop has had about 25mm added to the length of the top tube. This is where the modifications to the toolbox section come in. They are just a result of the work to add the extra bit of frame tube. This lifts the front of the bike (and steepens the steering angle) because it causes the front section of the frame to pivot forward around the front motor mount bolt. Maybe the top tube is lowered too. I don't know because I've not seen a detail photo of one with the fuel tank off.

The reason I started thinking about this was that I had a few spare TY250 frames and wanted to build a Majesty replica but if you have a close look at the TY250 frame, the technical difficulty of raising the motor even one inch is quite extreme while achieving the same result using the method I have described is quite simple.

If someone can debunk my conspiracy theory I would be very pleased. Good close up photos of the top frame tube modifications and of the rear engine mounts would be quite sufficient.

David

Not sure if what you say is right or not but if you look at the left hand sides of a Majesty and a TY250, on the Majesty the top of the carb and the cylinder head are almost level with the top of the side panel, on the TY250 they are much lower down in relation to the side panel. On the Majesty the spark plug is right up against the back of the toolbox where the frame is altered to accomodate, on the TY there is a gap between the plug and the toobox. On the Majesty the front of the cylinder head is much closer to the bottom braces of the toolbox where it meets the downtubes.

So either the engine has been lifted or the whole of the top of the bike has been lowered down onto the engine. My money is on the former, I just don't know how if it is.