4rt Stalling

the addict

Been out with Dad all day today, hes almost going back to the 2 stroke lately due to stalling problems on the bike. Two big get offs for him today due to the bike stalling just at the point of getting back on the throttle. Not sure if this problem is something a 4 stroke will do or just perculiar to his bike or riding style. First off up onto a big slab slopping down hill, gets up on it, blips the throttle to go down just at the point of throwing the body forward and it stalls, chucks him straight over the bars and down the slab. Second, tight turn onto a slopping rock with a 2 foot gap to another, biggish drop to the right. He bridges the gap blips to go and it stalls just at the wrong moment, chucks him off the wrong side(right) cartwheels down the drop with bike chasing him and to cap it all bike smacks him on the side of the head for good measure. A 2 stroke stalling is a pain but it tends not to stop like you ve hit a brick wall, the Mont is, best way to describe what happens is if you have ever gone up a really steep climb with a 180 degree tight turn on the hill, you make the turn about halfway, revs drop and bike stalls, f**ks you off straightaway.

Anyone got any suggestions? its getting near sale time at the moment just because of this problem nothing else. It is knocking his confidence on pivot type turns over stuff incase it stalls on him, he'll have some big old bruises and aches tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

Edited by Betarev3

Brian, hes had the bike about 2 months from new, he had dropped the tickover alittle but turned it back up today. I have never seen him come off so much and so hard before, the stopping is so abrupt. I will have a look at the topic now thanks Andy

If the idlespeed is set correctly, then the problem is his riding style. In tight spots with the 4rt you have to use the clutch, dont let the revs drop below idle for too long, it empties the condensator and the bike stalls. Imo the 4rt is very easy to ride, when you've learnt to slip the clutch.

Thanks for the replies and link, Dad is abit sore this morning but changing a few things on the bike today (Idle speed,restrictors,clutch master cyl and plates) See what happens tomorrow, project for next week is getting the 315 up and running again incase its no better

interesting topic,

i have ridden 4rts since they came out and have stalled two or three times only . i have tried all options inc low tickover and low gearing . what gear is your dad using? 90% of sections are 1st for me

Munch, hes using first most of the time, I think it may well be a tickover and riding technique problem now more then anything and we all call him Dad as a nick name, hes not me dad really. Hes going to have another go tomorrow and see how hard it is to stall with some changes, I have a feeling it is more to do with the type of sections me and him set out, up your own a*** type,back wheel hops to get round bends, flick turns, allowed to stop for minutes at a time? then we only ride non stop straight line trials up north in streams??????

Munch, hes using first most of the time, I think it may well be a tickover and riding technique problem now more then anything and we all call him Dad as a nick name, hes not me dad really. Hes going to have another go tomorrow and see how hard it is to stall with some changes, I have a feeling it is more to do with the type of sections me and him set out, up your own a*** type,back wheel hops to get round bends, flick turns, allowed to stop for minutes at a time? then we only ride non stop straight line trials up north in streams??????

hes not my dad :crying::rolleyes:

I have the same problem,what seemed to help was a light coating on the air filter.Early clutch control helps me,i have stalled mine so many times lost count.I have run with 43 rear and made no difference.My tickover has been set pritty high,but what has helped the most is the light spray on the filter.And yes it has sent me over the bars!

I've owned three 4RTs now and I don't think they stall any more frequently than a two stroke.

However, there's no doubt you have to learn to ride a four stroke in a different way. First of all, you must make use of the clutch; if you can't use the clutch the 4RT will be away from you and may be more prone to stalling. However, I can't ride any bike without the clutch, so I don't consider this to make 4RTs any different.

Equally, they must run with tickover but perhaps more importantly, always keep a fraction of throttle on at all times. Difficult? Maybe, but learn the technique and you'll eliminate most problems. I always run 10/43, but others stick to standard gearing (10/41) If you can handle it, OK, but I prefer the lower gearing.

I think much of the "probelms" folk think about is all in the mind. Get into four stroke mode and you'll master it, but riding a 4RT which may need a slight change of technique is no different than changing technique as to how you drive a van in a different manner from a car.

Not very well explained but stick with it and you'll surely enjoy the undoubted character that 4RTs have over all other bikes.

Been out with Dad all day today, hes almost going back to the 2 stroke lately due to stalling problems on the bike. Two big get offs for him today due to the bike stalling just at the point of getting back on the throttle. Not sure if this problem is something a 4 stroke will do or just perculiar to his bike or riding style. First off up onto a big slab slopping down hill, gets up on it, blips the throttle to go down just at the point of throwing the body forward and it stalls, chucks him straight over the bars and down the slab. Second, tight turn onto a slopping rock with a 2 foot gap to another, biggish drop to the right. He bridges the gap blips to go and it stalls just at the wrong moment, chucks him off the wrong side(right) cartwheels down the drop with bike chasing him and to cap it all bike smacks him on the side of the head for good measure. A 2 stroke stalling is a pain but it tends not to stop like you ve hit a brick wall, the Mont is, best way to describe what happens is if you have ever gone up a really steep climb with a 180 degree tight turn on the hill, you make the turn about halfway, revs drop and bike stalls, f**ks you off straightaway.

Anyone got any suggestions? its getting near sale time at the moment just because of this problem nothing else. It is knocking his confidence on pivot type turns over stuff incase it stalls on him, he'll have some big old bruises and aches tomorrow morning :)

..................dude, I feel your pain!..............w2hat you do, is install the HRC 260 kit with the TORQUE CAM.......solves stalling and creates an amazing bike to ride!!!

I'm riding around in third all day!!.......................why they didn't install this cam in the first place is beyong me????

by rights, you should be able to buy just the cam alone .....maybe someday .................masso

Masso, nice one :) can you post a link or something for more info please. The 315 is coming out Sunday for a test against the 4rt so hopefully this might cure the problem and save selling it. Rod loves the bike up north in the streams and rocks, but is struggling in the tight turns down south with the stalling. Yes he probably needs to ride the clutch more and keep the revs up buts its not easy with some of the sections we like riding down here.

Thanks Masso and everyone else for all the info