'03 Sherco 2.9 Suspension Setup

ktmsprocket

Hi,

I'm still very much on my Trials L plates.

Yesterday I rode my 2.9 then had the opportunity to ride an '07 SY250. The Scorpa had much 'softer' or 'plusher' suspension. I definately noticed it when hitting the bumps - it soaked them up, while my Sherco transferred the bumps through to me.

Honestly, I immediately rode slightly better on the Scorpa.

Have any of you guys set-up the Sherco for such a ride (ie. soft and plush) and know the details for front and rear? (no guesses please).

Cheers. J

PS. Things like....Oil weight, amount and so on.

The new Scorps suspension is quite plush as you stated. However there are a couple of tricks for the Sherco.

The factory spec for the Sherco fork is 4wt oil. As none seem to make 4wt oil, we normally use Maxima 5wt here. I understand that PJ1 makes a lighter 2.5 wt that you may be able to blend into a lighter viscosity but I have never tried it.

I just use 300-310ml on a drain and fill (because you never get all the old oil out) as compared to the 330ml spec(per leg). It makes a difference!

I also try to be sure to have good o-rings on the top caps so they do not leak, compress the forks and bleed the air prior to riding, maybe ck them again after warm.

On the rear, they changed the delta link in '04 to one that has a higher leverage ratio, much softer but you will need to wind up the spring a bit with the stock shock.

I understand the new TRP shock is quite good, as the '07 shock seems to be, and they are adjustable, so you could essentially bring the bike up to an "06 Caby" spec with those items on the rear!

Nigel Dabster had a custom shocker for sale, not sure if he still has it but might be worth asking!

If you know someone in Spain, I think Paxau sells some stuff, but I have never gotton a response unfortunately!

Hope that helps,

MC

MC, Thanks for your tips. While I was out this morning I picked up some Motul 2.5Wt and some Motul 5Wt.

As I don't know the current Wt or volume in the bike (bought the bike recently (used))...I will go straight to the 2.5Wt and put 300mL in as a start as its easier to fill than drain.

((PS. The rear shock has the spring retaining nut at a about 3/8 of the way. I may wind it right back so its real "loosey goosey"))

((PPS. I still have to the ignition retarding thing as well - but now I have a few days leave I can get to these things...yay!!!)

J,

I had a play with my 2002 Sherco a while back. I weigh about 65Kg and ride pretty easy stuff, so wanted it soft.

I set the front & rear sag to around 70mm, on the rear this was just a case of winding the shock pre-load it's an 02 model so there is no damping adjustment), at the front I cut the plastic spacers from inside the forks down (I bought a bit of DIY plastic pipe first to experiement) to reduce the spring pre-load.

I did mix oil (50/50 2.5wt & 5wt PJ1) to get an avergae 3.75wt fork oil, I went with the factory recommendation of 330cc per leg. It seems OK & for me softening the forks has helped the front end bite in turns.

Hope this helps,

Neil

think im with copey on this, I wound my 04's stock shock up quite abit. probably two thirds of the shock & i way 75ish kg. I thought the bike was loads better. especially tryin to hop about, as your effort doesnt get absorbed by all the travel. but it wasnt too much that bumpy climbs were a problem.

Glad you mentioned that cope, cos i thought it was odd that i needed to wind it up so much...... told you, you were a sherco guru!

Just remember if you soften things too much, you loose ground clearance! Most the riders I have seen that like them really soft, use it to rebound off the shock snubber and are good at hopping. For us normal folke that need to turn better, this kicks the front wheel out making it push on turns, so setting the rear at 20-30mm static sag was always better for me.

Be sure to roll the bars forwards! Stick the allen wrench in and pull the crossbar back untill it just touches the allen, then lock it down. Gives you proper room on the bike to lift the front, makes you use your feet for steering!

And if you are going to ride a 2.9, Brains are no replacement for Gonads! :)

Always a dangerous thing riding a mates brand new bike as you nearly always end up wanting one yourself. :)

It's quite hard to get that plush feel with the old shock as all you can change is ride height and stiffen the ride but you are still stuck with the fixed damping. To improve the 03 suspension throw the standard shock away and fit an adjustable unit, it really makes a big difference and added to that is that you can fine tune the damping to suit your riding style. I've fitted the Olle 07 shock to my 04 but with a different rear spring as the 07 spring is too long. It's made a big difference to the feel of the bike and I'm very pleased with the improvement to the bike especially on rocks and steps. I've seen Ohlins advertised and also there is a TRP shock available as well so there is scope for improvement on the rear suspension, which was always the weakest point on a Sherco.

I decided as the first step to drain whatever was in there and replace. The oils were quite different. Probably 10Wt one side and 2.5 the other. Both were very dirty.

I replaced with 300mL of 10Wt on both sides (to set a baseline). Its improved what was there before and slowed things up a bit so the damping seems about right.

I'll now try shorter preload spacers on the front to see how that goes.

Chader, that is no rider, just the weight of the bike!

KTMSproket, 10wt will slow things down, but you may find it too harsh on drop offs, just as too light would let them bottom out too easily. Depends upon your body weight.

Sounds like they needed a good flush anyway! :)

:o-->

QUOTE(John.B @ Apr 13 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've fitted the Olle 07 shock to my 04 but with a different rear spring as the 07 spring is too long. It's made a big difference to the feel of the bike and I'm very pleased with the improvement to the bike especially on rocks and steps. I've seen Ohlins advertised and also there is a TRP shock available as well so there is scope for improvement on the rear suspension, which was always the weakest point on a Sherco.

I asked MRS about this the other day john, and they said they werent sure you could replace 04 bike shock with a new 07. Glad to hear it worked out. Did you use your 04 spring on the new shock? And also what was the price of the Olle shock compared to the TRP?

Hi Gaz, young lad in spares dept at Rathmell's said it fits ok, just said straight swap so I bought it. Guess what? the bl**dy thing did n't fit.

However if you reprofile the top shock mount on the frame you will be able to install it. The shock has to be turned upside down to how it fits on the 07 and the damping adjuster screw now fits under the mudguard near the airbox. Bit of hassle removing the mudguard to adjust it each time to find your ideal setting however at least it is kept out of all the mud. If you want a hassle free swap then the TRP or Ohlins would be the way to go as the Olle is about the same price approx