Why Change It?

zippy

What would be nice would be a modern bike, with its great suspension and brakes but with an engine like a old TY250 in its power delivery, but no-one makes anything like that, so we all buy whats available and change it to suit our needs.

ScottT, they call it a SCORPA! With heavy flywheel and slow timing and throttle!

Edited by copemech

What would be nice would be a modern bike, with its great suspension and brakes but with an engine like a old TY250 in its power delivery, but no-one makes anything like that, so we all buy whats available and change it to suit our needs.

Have you tried a Scorpa? I don't like them myself, but the engine is smoother (its from that era), and in three years it will seem like vintage :o

Edit: I replied without reading your reply Copamech - uncanny eh?

Edited by bikespace

Yes I have had a little play on the Scorpa 125, and yes its very nice, and to be honest if someone offered me a straight swap for my Sherco i would take it.

The only thing that does let them down is they do appear a bit cheap and nasty in the build quality (the frame before anyone comments).

I would prefer a 2 stroke but you cant have everything.

As one of the people who has posted asking and modified my bike, heres my answer:

A standard 290 (or 250) is good enough with the right rider to win any trial in this country (except WC round) 95% of the people riding them arent good enough, so the bike is changed/moddified to suit that person and the way they ride, if the vast majority of riders cant use the bike to its limit, why not tame it down a bit?

For a lot of people (the over 40's) they have come back to Trials after many years away, modern bikes and the way the power is delivered is nothing like what they may have been used to. Me for example, I have ridden TY's, Beamish, Cota's and TL's 20 odd years ago and got used to them, now trying a modern bike i just cant get used to the way it goes, doesnt suit my style, what should i do? Practise more? dont have the time so the easiest option is to make the bike more like what im used to, thats they way i think and im sure many others feel the same.

i'm new to trials , having not ridden in about 15 years .

i asked an experienced trials rider , riding shercos in the expert class / nationals etc .

he advised to get a 200 (hard to find) or a 250 (he'd even used one in expert competitions). so thats what i did :o

excellent bike !! totally standard was was SOOOO easy on me when i first got on it .

since then i went "sub aqua" when practising , and ended up with the wrong plug in just to get it running (6 instead of 5)......

WOW !!! this thing has suddenly got a whole lot snappier !!!

i now have no doubt that a 250 is enough for a good rider competing at the top level .

i think the 290 syndrome is a vicious circle of people ignorantly thinking that its the best bike in sherco range so it must be the best bike for them . and when people look for a second hand sherco there are lots of 290's out there so that is another decider .

with hindsight , i'd have been happy on a 125 , knowing that any modern 125 has more tricks up its sleeve that i will never even know are there , never mind the balls or skill to try them !!!

now its time to upgrade and i'm thinking of a cabby . this is a 290 but that is not my choice .

if they made a 250 caby i would buy that !!!

i'm sure caby could ride a 250 as good as he does a 290 , but thats a different story ...........

Edited by ianc

Nothing wrong with the Scorpa 250, well built, bulletproof motor, and you can make them purr like a kitten! Or make them very aggressive!

Minimal changes can just alter the character of a bike, up to a point!

Ian is correct in how the cycle originates, but even he wants the Caby bike! Which is ok, as it is smooth with the standard setup.

I still believe most would be better off with the 2.5, or 2.0 but then the ego thing kicks in!

Same thing happens with the Beta's and the Gassers!

Bottom line, if you buy a HIGH performance bike, EXPECT a kick from it! Good and bad! Fun but Trickey!

And yes, the good rider on the 1.25 will still kick your butt! :o

Ian is correct in how the cycle originates, but even he wants the Caby bike! Which is ok, as it is smooth with the standard setup.

I still believe most would be better off with the 2.5, or 2.0 but then the ego thing kicks in!

i only decided on the cabby because you told me to !!!!!

:o

no , the real reason is ........., the cost difference between upgrading parts on my bike to make me a much better rider , is more than the cost of selling my bike and buying a newer one with better suspension !!

the caby is cheaper than a 2007 , so thats how i came to my illogical conclusion !!!

ideally , sherco should have made a 250 cabby , with chrome frame and 2005 graphix ........ then i wouldnt have to modify at all !!!

I have to jump in on this topic, I have been lurking for some time as I sold my Sherco's to buy a new GoldWing Touring bike. The wife likes to ride with me and both boys are too busy to ride trials anymore.

I have owned SEVERAL new Sherco's and modified them all. I want a bike that has SNAP, I want to touch the throttle and be able to loft the front wheel. All of our Sherco's received Keihin carbs, my last one had the V-Force reeds, they all had fat bars etc. I think my 05 had nearly every accessory that RYP sold.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to ride an 03 Beta, an 06 Sherco 2.9, an 06 Sherco Caby replica and a new 250 four stroke Scorpa. The Beta was nice and smooth on the bottom, (had to push it back to the truck, the flywheel key sheared) the 06 Sherco ran great, smooth and strong, the new 250 Scorpa four stroke ran very nice, smooth but a bit heavy. The bike that I really liked was the 06 Caby replica. Now that is the bike that I would want if I were to get a trials bike today. I am NOT a youngster (will be 65 my next birthday) and my skill level is somewhere in the upper intermediate to lower advanced level, I still really liked the Caby.

One thing that helped my ride the snappier bikes was to SLIP the clutch, for my youngest son's 17 birthday I sent him to a one on one Ryan Young training school and Ryan really emphasized the importance of SLIPPING the clutch.

Wayne

i now have no doubt that a 250 is enough for a good rider competing at the top level .

i think the 290 syndrome is a vicious circle of people ignorantly thinking that its the best bike in sherco range so it must be the best bike for them . and when people look for a second hand sherco there are lots of 290's out there so that is another decider .

i'm sure caby could ride a 250 as good as he does a 290 , but thats a different story ...........

I couldn't decide on a 2.5 or 2.9, but in the end on the back of recommenndations of other riders (TC included), I got a 2.9. Together with a slow action throttle to mellow it out abit. I loved the bike. A few months later I put the fast action throttlle back on....... Now its even better!!!

I recently had a go on a mates rev 250, and it felt lacking compared to the 2.9. I liked it but it didnt have the edge.

Im sure Caby could ride the 2.5 well but I bet he'd choose the 2.9.

:thumbup: