Dabill And Sagar

nigel dabster

[

OK then i think Tom is doing this to get more sponsership, I look at it like this Tom Sagar was british A champion Beat Dabill, Tom won the Novogar last Year, And look whos got the Top trial Team deal???

What does the lad have to do?

I guess put everything into it, not missing out for the sake of a fun sunday on an expensive bike where entry fees are

Edited by Nigel Dabster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess put everything into it, not missing out for the sake of a fun sunday on an expensive bike where entry fees are 325 plus?

Not sure where you got that entry fee from.

There's no bloody pleasing some people - the enduro is almost free, bike certainly is. He's been lucky on that front. At the moment it's seen as excellent fitness training to compliment the trials 'and' another opportunity to get on in motorsport.

Its not done at a detriment to the trials.

Trouble is some people get to a certain age and become sceptical, negative and self righteous.

Present company excepted of course.

I did say present company excepted Dabster. B)

But my definition of self righteous is "Not agreeing with me" ;) which may well be ever so slightly flawed.

No offence intended :D

I do tend to stick up for Tom as their whole family are the best people you could ever meet (in my view), but I think that unlike some others, money doesn't grow on trees, and missing that kind of time off work wouldn't help things. I've seen nothing but total commitment from the whole 3 generations of the family.

It wasn't just a fun day out, it was a pubicity gathering handy little performance at the Breckland.

I can actually see your point Nigel, but being financially careful does not show a lack of commitment in this case, and the odd enduro trip out is not affecting the trials as far as I can see.

I'm sorry if it sounds like an attack on tom sagar as this was never my intention and I have great respect for his ability.

I could explain the cheapest way to get to Portugal and do a world round but that again is not my point. What I, and probably a lot of older riders and fans want to see a British presence at european and world trials, not necessarily every single event but those within reach.

How we (ACU?) fund this like the RFME does is probably a difficult one to answer, we all want it but do we want to pay a higher licence fee???

No it's not fair to ask Joe Bloggs who has no interest in WTC to pay extra licence fee's.

Sponsorship, Team training days, Team merchandice (T-shirts, posters, stickers, replica riding gear, video's etc....) Team exhibitions, Lottery grant?

It's gotta be cheaper to take 1 truck with 10 bikes as opposed to 10 trucks with 1 bike.

As and when riders improve and are offered works deal's they move on to create space in the team for younger talent.

Even the French have better support than we do!! (not that it's done them any good -sorry Jerome!)

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see him crawling his way up the entry.

Bad first day by his standards I think. Looks like he had a couple of fives on sections where most of his peers were getting through with 0's and 1's.

He should be fairly happy with Tuesday Wednesday. To be one mark behind Jarvis today isn't too bad at all.

30th on day 1, 20th at the end of day 3

Keep it up lad.

I didn't spot your subtle sarcasm last time Nigel. I can't believe I actually thought you might be offering positive sentiments. :D

So judging by that you think 20th in the Scottish is a performance that warrants ridicule.

As before, there's no ****ing pleasing some people. Perhaps if you pass on your suggestions for the rest of his career he'll be able to oblige and it'll stop you whinging at every move.

I don't like to give you ammunition, but this'll really annoy you - I hear he splashed out on a Fish Supper on Tuesday night. That could have got him half way to Portugal if he'd used your budget calculator.

P.S. Smile you miserable bugger :D

Perhaps the ACU should employ someone to set up a team, (Jake Miller perhaps?) Give him the job of sourcing sponsors and promoting the team / sport.

The team would comprise promising schoolboys A & B class, plus young Adult riders. They would all train together every week, travel together, and the bikes would be looked after by team mechanics present at all the big Trials.

This sounds like a great idea, and two young lads from our neck of the woods have recently been chosen to become part of the Great Britain Cycling development squad (a good model for what we are talking about).......They now live with other members of the squad in Manchester training together, eating together etc.. They have advice from top coaches, get taken to events around europe for experience, and are basically the champions of the future.

Now I know there is more money in cycling....but this team has just received BIG money sponsorship from Persil (Just ask the wife :D ).

The difference between our beloved trials and cycling...........

The outcome of this 'Persil' investment is potential Olympic quality athletes with realistic medal prospects

And thats where we get to every time.....money comes to profile....and trials just don't have it :D

If Dougie barely gets a mention on Sports personality of the year we don't stand much chance realistically...

Or maybe I'm wrong? I kinda hope I am!