W/c Sections

toofasttim

I've watched a few of the many videos that have been supplied by "generous" sources and I had a thought, I was watching Shaun Morris on Lagnaha and there was a top ten in-the-world guy struggling (well for a one) when Murray Whittaker struggled through for a three. The point I'm trying to make is: is it necessary for every world championship round to have 15 rev & splatter sections when a decent stream can challenge all and desist none? BTW kudos Murray, good ride.

Anychance of a link to said videos please? Thanks.

You'd think after all these years using TC that you'd know where to find things.

SSDT Video

Andy's now got Matt's video so I'm sure there will be a lot more to come.

Is there a pre 65 video to come? thanks.

I've watched a few of the many videos that have been supplied by "generous" sources and I had a thought, I was watching Shaun Morris on Lagnaha and there was a top ten in-the-world guy struggling (well for a one) when Murray Whittaker struggled through for a three. The point I'm trying to make is: is it necessary for every world championship round to have 15 rev & splatter sections when a decent stream can challenge all and desist none? BTW kudos Murray, good ride.

no disrespect to shaun but he is not usually top ten in the WTC.

The fact that dibs dropped only the few he did in Scotland surely means that the wtc needs harder sections.

The two trials are incomparable, and one caters for the worlds elite and the other, well, I could ride that if i got fit and took some magic potion which would make me 20 years younger/ slimmer.

That aside the impression that all the wtc sections are 15 ft splatters is not at all accurate. Will update from France this weekend if of intrest?

Edited by Nigel Dabster

no disrespect to shaun but he is not usually top ten in the WTC.

The fact that dibs dropped only the few he did in Scotland surely means that the wtc needs harder sections.

The two trials are incomparable, and one caters for the worlds elite and the other, well, I could ride that if i got fit and took some magic potion which would make me 20 years younger/ slimmer.

That aside the impression that all the wtc sections are 15 ft splatters is not at all accurate. Will update from France this weekend if of intrest?

Tim, I agree with your observation.

The old type section that has the many variables, such as water, slippy off cambers, mud and combinations of these elements coming at you without the luxury of being able to stop. levels out the playing field.

Many skilled riders have very impressive results against world ranked riders where sections are set where the wheels are predomonately on the ground.

The bike skills that are shown by the WTC riders, that require the higher gears and enormous thrust and speed is the platform that seperates them from most mere mortals.

When you combine that with their ability to be able to monouvre there machines with either front or rear wheel hopping, stationary 180 degree air turns,again the gap widens.

Then add to that,because of these skills,the luxury it presents them of breaking a section into progressive obsticals. Positioning their machines and setting off with composure is again only a dream for most.

I know this is all bleeding obvious, but theWTC has now a very slim starting lineup because of the section severety and the lack of riders with the skills, desire, money to compete.

Dibs may only have dropped 20 points over the six days but his scores, are as yet, short of challenging to step up regularly to the podium in the WTC.

Half your luck to be able to attend on the weekend ND.

Stevo

Tom scott and a couple of other Aussies were there and they were a little overwhelmed by section severity (see scores), but they were having a go.

the severity has simply been led by the increasing skill levels which have even moved up more since the bou took charge on his move to montesa.

The sections in France were very tough, and why they had to go that far defies reason but the French are a strange race full stop. Sections were overly long and included alot of very difficult no run up steps, but the biggest problem was that because of these type of steps many sections were fived by a majority of riders just not getting up.

There were far too many blue route sections which matched the red route, in fact the 15' rock face section 3 which is refered to in the TC report was a blue route before being changed.

Make no mistake Bou's ride was exceptional, and I just can't see anyone beating him.

Michael brown did really well to produce a score like that but when he had 3 guys to catch on one section (me included, he didn't need us) its probably too much.

So back to the original point there are ways of marking out sections with or without 15' splatters but the trick is more to get the severity right big or small, and after all the WTC is for the elite and will always be so.

As a general point, when are people going to get bored with huge splats? Whilst I appreciate the obvious skill & balls it takes, as entertainment value, its starting to wane I think.

One other thing, the outdoor is starting to move too far away from its roots. All these big splats are just indoor without the roof!

IMHO :banana2:

So back to the original point there are ways of marking out sections with or without 15' splatters but the trick is more to get the severity right big or small, and after all the WTC is for the elite and will always be so.

I don't have a problem with the occasional splat section. But the videos I've seen have been splat after splat (I haven't seen a world round in the flesh so I suppose you could take my opinions with a pinch of salt). I few months ago I was watching some old vids of Jordi in '89 (I think) and they were sections I could aspire to ride. Possible 3 them but most likely 5. I know it was nearly 20 years ago but something changed during Jordis reign. The upper echelons got away from us mere mortals. Andys videos showed me that it's not an impossible ask, to have a section that will take marks off the top boys but still be possible for us clubbies.

In case I missed making it clear there wasn't that many big splatts, more slippy steps 4' and multiple steps, lots and lots of slippy rocks and steep climbs, few stream sections too.

Sounds a bit better. I await the vids with baited breath..(IMO pics don't rally do a trial justice anymore, spoiled aren't we?)

You are right you need to be there to appreciate what the riders have to tackle.

I think the section with most splats (7?) Alexz did very well on his 125 but the vids and pictures of splats are much more visually appealing so from afar its possible to get a skewed view of what the trial is like overall.

You really think you can ride as well as Tarres?

Trials has developed so much, we cannot turn the clock back, the machines have developed so much, we are still the same so technique and machines have caused the gulf.

The first time rider who can wobble round a trial is much the same as 20 years ago, its just that the top end has gone off the scale and how can you stop that progress, should you even try?

You really think you can ride as well as Tarres?

I never said that I could! Read my posting again.

the machines have developed so much, we are still the same so technique and machines have caused the gulf.

It's the only logical explanation. Push the clock back even further, back to Gordon Jacksons day, bikes were modified road bikes and the sections were the same for him as they were for Joe Clubman. Now the bikes are highly specialized and the improvement in machinery has widened the gulf. Why would that be? Is it, possibly, because contemporary machinery and techniques need so much time to perfect and only the very gifted can persevere and are afforded the time neccessary to perfect those techniques?

Lagnaha wasn't a cutting edge section by any means but it still took marks off riders of Morris' calibre and it was good to see Murray Whittaker get through for a three.