Elementary School Demo

sirhc

My 8 year old son Ty got to do what many of us have been wanting to do for years, he got to ride his motorcycle in the school playground! He had been telling us that he wanted to do a Demo at school for a while and we thought they would never go for it, but one day my wife mentioned it to the Principal and she thought it was a great idea!

I wasn't sure how it would go. Would the kids get trials? Could an 8 year old do anything to impress them? Where they going to think "this is stupid"? Well as soon as he started the bike the kids where "oohing & aahhing" so I knew it would go pretty well.

He did some balancing

post-2409-1179532827.jpg

Then he rode over some obstacles and then a wannabe splatter onto the trailer

post-2409-1179533258.jpg

He then did a wheelie and the kids went nuts! I guess they don't get trials, but they like it

post-2409-1179533361.jpg

He then did many wheelies until one kid asked if he could do donuts? In the loose play ground dirt donuts where easy and with all the dirt blowing the kids loved it! (no picture)

Everybody seemed to like it, even the old Teachers! The Principal thought we should make it a annual event. After we let the kids sit on the bikes. The best question though was the little girl that asked if he could do a back flip :beer:

post-2409-1179533935.jpgpost-2409-1179533972.jpg

sorry not good pictures

Edited by sirhc

Hey Ty you are no longer allowed to ride our Northern California events. You are getting too good. I love the picture over the trailer and the picture of the wheelie. Awesome. Maybe you can work on the back flip for the girl :beer: When I did a Demo in High School they kicked me out. It is best to get permission.

That's awesome ! Looked like a great day for everyone. I can just picture all the kids running home to their parents, to beg them for a trials bike.

My son is 9 , and although he enjoys riding once he's on his xr70, he's not overly enthusiastic about going riding when i suggest it. I suspect that one day i won't be able to keep him off it; i just don't want to push him into it. And although he had no trouble learning to ride and seemed like a natural, i think he is lacking in self confidence, even with positive reinforcement. Any tips on teaching kids to ride?

plus the fact the school allowed the demo.

It is a private school, I'm sure that helped.

My son is 9 , and although he enjoys riding once he's on his xr70, he's not overly enthusiastic about going riding when i suggest it. I suspect that one day i won't be able to keep him off it; i just don't want to push him into it. And although he had no trouble learning to ride and seemed like a natural, i think he is lacking in self confidence, even with positive reinforcement. Any tips on teaching kids to ride?

The best advice I can give is let him ride with other kids. I know when Ty got his Rev 80 for his seventh birthday he was pretty exited to get it and ride it, but he wasn't doing half the stuff that he was on his Gas Gas 50, he just lacked the confidence of the bigger bike and the harder I pushed him do to something the more he refused. Well he then went riding with two older boys that he looked up to for about an hour and he came back a different rider, he then had total confidence in himself and his bike. I don't know what went on but it was something I couldn't do.

Edited by sirhc

Ahh yes, the good old days!

The last day of elementry school, after school the janitors had the doors open at the ends of the hallways! (as always)

My trusty Honda trail 70 managed to climb those steps, weelie through the long hallway and boogie out the door and down the steps at the other end! Looking like Julian Du Ponte!

Friggin janitor seen me, and parents got letters and all that, banning me from school!

Big deal! Oh well, I never went back to the elementry school anyway! Except to make a flat track around the football field with the new Kawa 100!

Of course, this was a long time ago, and I suddenly realized something. I am the only one still alive to tell the story! Bummer!

If you did that nowdays, they would call the SWAT team and shoot you on the spot for leaving tire marks on the freshly waxed floor!

Keep it going through the kids! (but don't tell them everything)! :beer:

paul_thistle Posted Today, 06:23 PM

Very cool!

My son Aaron is jealous....of the stunt trailer!

The Demo props are Bill Markham's, the trailer is a old flat bed trailer I had that now carries and stores Bill's props at my house.

This is one way we use the big spools.

post-2409-1179893197.jpg

Picture taken with my wife's cell phone

Chris,

Not to change the subject, but word is MichLin is going to TN, so you just picked up a Team Rider!

Not far off now! :banana2:

Maybe Al can get there for the pictures and such, if just for the day! What say Al?

Edited by copemech

Chris,

Not to change the subject, but word is MichLin is going to TN, so you just picked up a Team Rider!

Not far off now! :moon:

Maybe Al can get there for the pictures and such, if just for the day! What say Al?

Cabin 5 is reserved already for the week of the YN. :banana2: Got to have some time away from this house.

I was hoping to hear that Al, I'm sure you need a break by now and Dean needs some peg time before you put him to work!

You can keep official score of the TX and CA heads up competition! Still not sure what riders will be in what classes.

And Chris can get the official "Lick Fest" piccies with you and Mich! Be sure to bring the Twister game! :banana2:

Some of the other games in cabin 5 besides Twister that could possibly happen (side note I wont be there)

Truth or Dare

Spin the Bottle

Poker

5 Card Stud

What happens in cabin 5 stays in cabin 5.

Beware dont pass out in cabin 5 :banana2:

Edited by No Jive