Tl 200 Disc Brake Conversion Anybody

kiwiphil

I,ve thought of doing this as i mostly ride for fun, but to ride in twinshock trials events you can't modify to disc brakes to keep competition fair.

Probably the easiest way to convert it would be to find a pair of forks ,with wheel ,caliper and lever from a more modern bike. Maybe a early disc brake Beta, Fantic or Honda rtl with similar head tube diameter and length. The rear would be more complicated as you would have to weld up a tab on the swingarm for the caliper and modify for the brake pedal. I,ve seen pics of conversions, but don't know what they have used.

Edited by muddytires

the clubs that i ride with do not worry about a disc on a twinshock, but some championship rounds may not let you win anything, there seems to be 2 ways to get a disc on a tlr

one is to get the disc, caliper and wheel from a later imported tlr, or to use the forks from a honda trail bike such as an xl125r or an mtx 125/200, my front brake on my tlr200 is absolutly rubbish, my xl 185 is better, bigger shoes, it does make you ride with the engine braking in use more often, but steep slipery downhills can get a bit scary!

Hi, you can try and locate a tlr 250 front hub and brake as these are bigger than the 200 model, i fitted fantic forks to mine and it was a simple conversion, Disc works great and i used a 315 montesa master cylinder no problems at all.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Not directly applicable, but I fitted a 2000 4 piston gas gas AJP front wheel and rotor and caliper to my TY350 Yamaha. There are pics and more info somewhere on this site, or write me.

Exact parts may not work, but the concept of spacing the axle and floating the mounting bracket may work. And parts are far easier to get. I used the mc, hose, caliper and entire front wheel. (they were spare parts I had for other bikes.)

It is SO nice. Not so much on strength of brake but precision and consistentcy. With the drums, I never knew if, or when, or hom much force, the brake would give. They were more of a suggestion to reduce speed, rather than a command to stop.

k