Swm Clutch

woody

Clutch is now a lot better, not perfect by any means but at least useable and it's not going to aggravate my tendonitis pulling the lever now as the action is lighter.

After discovering that the clutch arm was rubbing against it's housing inside the casing I fitted the spare casing which has the different '3 pointed star' shaped actuator. This doesn't rub against the casing and consequently gives a lighter and smoother action even without the arm extended. So that was one area improved. The second, which is the snatchy grabby action of the plates has been improved by fitting the plates from the spare motor too, which I assume are originals. After trying it today, result is much better take up on the clutch than with the suflex plates and the horrible graunching noises are now much reduced.

Not perfect still, but it will do for now - I'm sick of the sight of that clutch...

• 2 weeks later...

I was out practising this afternoon and when we had finished, started reminiscing about the halcyon days of trials in England and France the Eighties....... My practise partner went on to explain he had managed to buy and Ex factory Ex michaud Swm . He went on to explain how during many nights of work had lightened the clutch so it was able to be used with just a finger and how all his mates at the time were disbelieving and envious, as with earlier posts they are rather hard to use.

If there is any interest, he tells me he has still all the drawings and notes so if anyone is interested I will try and copy them onto this page.

I am no engineer so I have no idea what he did although he did explain by adding cams and changing a few things it worked.

I have in fact been badgering him to ride the twinshock trials over here and now he is actively trying to track this bike down lets hope he finds it....

i have a 1 finger clutch on the Jumbo as it is, with 6 clutch springs....though i am using the lower hole on the lever connecting the two-part clutch cable. I do also have a just-about-one-finger clutch on my 280, though that involves using on 3 or 4 clutch springs, so you have to wind it up gradually on the road. Interested the drawings though.

• 3 weeks later...

Re the clutch mod, I am trying to get my French pal to write it down and phot copy the plan so I can forward it onto the forum.

Like all things in France simple things get complicated and it ends up more trouble than its worth.

I will keep on at him and maybe it will get posted.

Sorry but theres not a lot i can do.....

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Im searching for a clutch basket for SWM 125 -83. Could really need some help here. Have sent a mail to Martin r2.

Even interesting of where to find engine spare in general, i.e. ignition coil.

Whats the possibilty for big bore a 125?

Ref. to Catalogo parti di ricambio Apaca and Guanaco, are the chassis similar for 125 and 320 -83?

BR, Pat

• 10 months later...

Just an update to an old topic. I bought my old SWM back this spring.....see my first SWM...Have been trying to go through it a bit but will have more time in the winter. Read all the clutch info here. In the old days I had lengthened the arm, so now I filed smooth all the plates and put it back together with a new cable and just 4 springs. Works pretty good now, almost a one finger, two no problem. More important nice complete release, no creaping etc. And it does 4th gear wheelies from a walking pace with no slipping. I'm happy.....cheers......Phil

Edited by PhilthyPhil

Hi all , just to add to the above.

On my 1980 320 i have tried many different setups .

There are three different weightness spring types available from Rotax- soft, medium and hard.

i have settled with 4 soft and 2 med springs along with the lengthened arm.

This is as light as i can get without it slipping - one finger operation ,but could be lighter- but ok

, if i use the 6 soft springs it will slip too much.

99% happy with it so will leave alone.

it is certainly not heavy at all.