Muscle Burn In Lower Arms And Hand / Finger Cramp

daggs888

As far I know, and I'm no doctor, the main cause of cramp is de-hydration. Therefore, drinking lots of water is essential. Not many people know but to be properly hydrated you should be peeing clear. So first of all, hydrate. Then, as has been said before, loosen the gloves so that the blood can run free and unrestricted around the arms and hands. Lever position is also essential, try to have them at such an angle that when you are riding you finger, hand, wrist and arm are straight and in-line when you are pulling them. Also, move the levers in so that you pull on the tip, this will allow you to pull the levers with less effort. Finally, all the training aids will help but only if you sort out the first three issues.

These tips should solve your problem, if none of this works you may have a more serious problem and should maybe see a doctor.

i eat marmite on toast and half a jar of pickled onions before every trial, then drink 236cm of bitter lemon between every lap............ i have NEVER had arm pump........i had a bike pump once.......and i think the wife has a balloon pump..........for balloons.........are these the same? :D

Yep, just looked at the location - typical Yorkshire sense of humour :thumbup:

But in answer to the problem if you're prone to cramp at other times Quinnine tablets may be the answer - but try the other suggestions on hydration, potasium (the bananas are a high source of this & in my opinion better than supplements) etc.

Ade

Just had a read through here, and no one has mentioned shifting your weight back so it's on the pegs and not the bars. May be a factor?

I'm very new to trials, but it made a lot of diffence to me when I consciously started to keep my weight on my feet and off my arms.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I used to suffer quite a bit till one of the more seasoned blokes at our club told me to take an asprin before each trial it thins the blood apparently. I've done it every trial since and never suffer anymore :o

Can i just say - for the first 2 months of doing trials - i had exactly the same issue... absolutely knackered hands and forearms just as you said...

I used to get hand pain after a few hundred miles on my road bike...

Now - if i have a few weeks off it comes back - but im used to it by now so i reckon the problems to do with your muscles just arent up to the job <_< Keep at it.

Jza

My lower arms and hand are fine it is my lower back that i have a problem with.Someone told me to rest your tips of your fingers on the handlebar grips(so that your arms are just under the handle bar) and slowly push forward and just slightly hold pressure for a minute or two before you start riding.

• 2 weeks later...

All good advise, bigger grips like half waffle work best for me, levers don't need to be so flat and move them in and bend the end out a little so it don't hit your other fingers. Push ups and wrist curls are good also, but the best way is to use all fingers or two on the loop, if your riding the loop with 1 finger on the clutch for 3 hours and your not use to it yes your going to have arm pump.

Edited by gtgasgas

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...