Ty 250 Restoration

restoremaz

I finished my ty resto this week, so here are all the pics of each step (or at the least the ones i took pics of).

Here it is how i got it in october last year, somebody had done everything in black, it was all wrong.

a.JPG

here it is geting striped down....

b.JPG

next i sent the frame to the sandblasters, all the paint striped off it, then redid the frame in two pack silver, as close as i could get it to the original colour, going off old photos

c.JPG

next step was the engine. as anyone whos ever riden at menai will know,menai mud stains! so everything was striped down, paint stiped, etc.

d.JPG

The engine ran fine,but after pulling it apart, we found the bore was glazed, so i had it rebored,and a larger piston with new rings fited.

e.JPG

f.JPG

All of the side covers on the motor were damaged and scratched deeply, i saved most lettering apart from I think the word "magnesium" on one cover.

All were refinished in two pack silver,matched off the original parts.

g.JPG

h.JPG

i.JPG

j.JPG

k.JPG

next i detailed the cylinder after geting it back from the machinist. redoing it in black,with the edges showing the aloy still..

l.JPG

And heres the motor all back together, the gear box was in perfect condition, so it was left as is.

m.JPG

Engine bolted back on the frame,

n.JPG

Next i sent the front forks to the bike mechanics to be rebuilt,and ordered some new parts from japan, while i was waiting for all that , i got to work on repairing and painting all the cosmetic trims..

o.JPG

p.JPG

q.JPG

r.JPG

The seat was in excelent original condition, so it was redone with vinal black paint..

s.JPG

Ok forks back from the mechanic here, and steering head fited with new style needle roller bearings, new brake and clutch levers.

the rear shocks are the original items, just polsihed and cleaned back up, they still seem to be ok.

t.JPG

handle bars are renthals,and were gold,but i have sanded off all the gold and polsihed them up so they look like ty items.

u.JPG

Now for the fuel tank.

It had a rather large dent in one side, so first off i made up a paper template of how the yellow and white was,and where the stickers should be.

next i paint striped it back to metal,or aluminium, and worked out the dents as best i could with levers through the filler hole,and then finished them off with body filler.

v.JPG

heres the tank in two pack hi-fill primer

w.JPG

After blocking down the hi -fill,i painted the tank all yellow,using colour i had matched up before i striped it back, let the yellow dry,then useing my template, marked out with fine line masking tape where the white should be.

after painting the white,and removing all the tape, i folowed the line with black pinstripe,and then placed the yamaha stickers where they should be....Then sealed the lot with two coats of two pack clear.

x.JPG

Next the exhaust was sandblasted and powder coated, a pic of it here trial fitted..

y.JPG

Coming together now, just waiting on the accelorator cable to turn up from japan, so i can fit the carby,air box and all the freshly painted bits waiting for it....

z.JPG

Well, finaly after 3 weeks the cable arived, and within an hour the bike was back together!

fin1.JPG

fin2.JPG

The bike fired up on the second kick on a cold night here,and runs like a dream.

Theres a lot of other new bits i forgot to mention ,like swing arm bushes,brake shoes,cables etc ..but you get the idea im sure.

Its raining heavily down here, so those 2 indoor pics are all i can offer at the moment, ill get some better pics when the weather clears up..

A big thanks to trials australia forum member David lahey for all his help and information on how an original TY should look!

Edited by restoremaz

no, i dont compete realy, it takes the fun out of rideing, waiting for 35 other people to do a section, id rather ride for fun,and ride where i want to ride,and when i want to ride!

Ahh ! At last someone with the same riding philosophy as me !!!

Great Job on the TY ! Stunning, I have one that I am just about to start restoring.

I may need to hit you with a few Questions ? OK ?

Jon

no, i dont compete realy, it takes the fun out of rideing, waiting for 35 other people to do a section, id rather ride for fun,and ride where i want to ride,and when i want to ride!

You just need to move to somewhere that trials isn't so popular. :D We were at a vintage trials this weekend in NW Washington State (stones throw from Canada) and there were only about 18 riders total. Which is good in one sense (no waiting) and if we don't get more riders, fatal (they won't put it on again next year). :thumbup: