Asterisk Knee Braces

ngk

You guys wearing them under or over your pants?

I wear mine under. If you wear MX type pants, under is easy. With Trials pants it can be a little trickier and you may have to wear them under. My Hebo trials pants have lots of knee room, so under is not a problem.

Fat, I agree with you completely that one should not "over wear" braces. I was told to wear mine only when in a "high risk" activity, such as riding. I don't wear mine day to day or even in the gym for that matter (where I work on building that critical strength). Glad you mentioned that as I see too many people wearing braces and using them as a "crutch", thereby allowing the knee to get weaker and MORE prone to injury.

im quite dissapointed to hear that yours still isnt better properly. Its a pain not been able to crouch down and when you forget that you cant and try to it really hurts!!

Times the healer, and you're at least a couple of months behind me, so it sounds like your about where I was two months ago.

The running was really tough to start with and my knee has 14 stone to deal with, so I was just doing laps of the local football field, in case it broke down and I didn't have far to limp home - then just build it up - 40 mins cross country now no bother. Cycling it only ever hurt when you were climbing and pushing a tough gear or getting out of the saddle - again was out on Sunday and didn't even think about it.

The Physio gave me exercises to do everyday, which I now regret not doing at the time, but have started up again as I'm getting close to the point when I can crouch down and get my backside to hit my heel on the injured leg.

Not wearing a brace for low risk is important, its the same reason why free weights are better than machines in the gym (providing you know what you are doing).

The other tip I have is when you think you might have hurt your knee don't put ACL or ligament damage into a search engine on the internet. There's some real horror stories and graphical descriptions of the remedial action around - it will make it seem much worse than it might be. If in doubt get to a Physio fast.

Thanks for the advice, its really good to talk to someone who has done the same as me, every one else seems to have done cruciates! im really workin at the gym now and also with free weights to strengthen my knee up, i do this without any support and it seems ok but i wouldnt dare ride without my brace as im so scared of repeating what ive done, if im back to full fitness in summer i have a good chance in the europeans but this year after doing my knee i missed some of them and had no confidence what so ever, nearly didnt get picked for the tdn team cos of the knee problem!!!! i think girls a fairly prone to knee injuries too, maria conway and rachel smart both have serious ligament problems, both have had operations but dont seem to get any better but still manage to ride brilliantly!

I have been wearing the Donjoy Playmaker braces for the past year and as someone commented, you kinda feel naked without them. They fit under my trials pants too.

Go to www.jointhealing.com for those in the States, they seem to have the best prices for you tightwads! :D

HI I was speaking to a few riders the other week that had knee problems and the most interesting one was Young Maria Conway, she has no ACL and still rides like normal! She was saying how much her confidence dropped when she first done it, but a year later is still riding and still doing well.

So a guess don't give up, just keep working at it and you will get it, knee's are complicated things. :santawink:

One exercise that my physio recommended seems to work really well - she called it a skaters dip.

No impact or real stress on the knee. But as you are balancing on one leg and then dipping, your muscles and ligaments have to work very hard to steady you. As you get stronger you can hold some dumbells and increase the load as you wish

http://strengthtraining.asimba.com/fitness...xercise587.html

I would add, that anyone with an injury or previous injury should consult a physio before trying this - some recommend it and some don't.