125 Clutch

jonathan collier

Just started playing around on my newly aquired TYS125, the clutch seems a little grabby, is there a mod for this? Longer or extended actuating arm? Any other mods I should consider for the 125, jets and exhaust have been done, going for a 10T front sprocket as well.

ta

Jon

The clutch on the 125 is grabby when hot I find. There is a mod to fit a TTR125 clutch arm off a late type TTR as they are longer but you need to remove the clutch, I have not done mine yet. I try to ride where possible without the clutch just on the throttle, obviously this is not always possible. Ihave done the front sprocket also. <_<

PS. You may want to buy the steel chain tensioner from Birketts as I am sure the original one is made from Swiss cheese and bends at the hint of rocks. Another one is to fit a mudflap so as to cover the exposed part of the r shock, bolt or rivet to the bottom of airbox, I will do mine when I turn the r tyre.

Edited by bo drinker

Just started playing around on my newly aquired TYS125, the clutch seems a little grabby, is there a mod for this? Longer or extended actuating arm? Any other mods I should consider for the 125, jets and exhaust have been done, going for a 10T front sprocket as well.

ta

Jon

I had the same problem with my SY175F. There is a company called B&J Racing, in the USA, that has developed a clutch kit, that totally transforms the bike.

Link: http://www.bjracing.com/

You get totally different plates and disks, and it is well worth it. He also has a different cable & lever setup, if you want to stay with mechanical, over switching to hydraulic.

His website is not currently up to date, on these items, so you will have to contact him by email. His name is Bob Ginder.

Edited by DGShannon

Had one of the first TYS125F's in the country (Oct 03) and kept it for over 2 years - great bike !!

Mods I did:-

Exhaust Baffles

Welded on extensions on the bashplate (invaluable!)

Hebo Footpegs

Clutch lever from the States - this has 3 positions for the cable, and really really lightens the clutch. I got the info from Brian R on Trials Central - Was really cheap as well - I think about

Can anyone put a site or link on with the clutch lever from America that is a good mod for the 125 Scorpa. My clutch is bugging me now :wub: Thanks.

My post above has the link to B&J Racing in it. Bob Ginder is the owner, and carries a number of items for the Scorpa. He has the 3 position lever, as well as a different cable to go with it, if you want. The cable is just a better quality unit with a special liner to cut friction, if I recall. Riding his personal bike, with cable clutch, was very close to mine with the hydraulic setup.

Can anyone put a site or link on with the clutch lever from America that is a good mod for the 125 Scorpa. My clutch is bugging me now :thumbup: Thanks.

Lubing all the pivot points has made a noticable difference on mine. Include the bits where the cable nipples fit, both ends and ofcourse the cable itself, it definately helped. I might go for a lengthend lever at the gearbox end as well in due course.

this is the original info I got from Brian R at the time ref the clutch lever I bought

If the clutch is a little heavy and quick to engage, try the MSR Raptor clutch lever and perch. Chaparral has them at a really good price but I can't seem to get there website to work. I have one on my TL and one on my son's Amigo. They have a choice of hard pull (quick engagment) , standard pull and easy pull (300%) easier. I think they work great, you don't have to modify the clutch arm and is simple to reverse.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessor...sories65449.htm

This is the link direct to the part - currently $49.94

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusia...;product=321693

I bought one - best investment I made - really well made, and made such a difference!

cheers

John

On a similar sort of thing. My 07 175 which has the AJP hyd clutch on it seems to be adjusting it's self during trials, at the start of the trial it is fine but towards the end of the trial the biting point seems to have moved, even with the lever fully in against my knuckles the bike still seems to be pulling away. The lever adjuster is nearly all the way in. anyone got any thoughts??? I have just bled it, which was a complete nightmare but not tried it yet, could air have been the problem???

On a similar sort of thing. My 07 175 which has the AJP hyd clutch on it seems to be adjusting it's self during trials, at the start of the trial it is fine but towards the end of the trial the biting point seems to have moved, even with the lever fully in against my knuckles the bike still seems to be pulling away. The lever adjuster is nearly all the way in. anyone got any thoughts??? I have just bled it, which was a complete nightmare but not tried it yet, could air have been the problem???

The clutch kit from B&J improves this problem DRAMATICALLY. The fiber discs are made of a completely different material, and the metal plates are dimpled, instead of flat. The end result is more oil between the surfaces (due to dimples) and a much more progressive and consistant feel, from the clutch. Also, it is very important to change the oil frequently. Since the oil your clutch runs in is common to the rest of the engine lubrication, it picks up contamination pretty quick.