Not The Usual Corrosion Problem

02-apr

I am losing coolant and the emulsification of the new gear oil seems to indicate where it is going. A strip of the pump shows it to be in good order with no corrosion of the casing but there is slight vertical movement on the shaft though the seal looks okay (for what that

Can't help with the paint but I've experienced the coolant leak problem problem twice, once on a GasGas and once on my old '03 Beta and both times it was the pump seal that'd failed. It's virtually impossible to tell visually but the parts aren't expensive so that's definitely the first thing to try. Replace both the seal itself and the impeller shaft - sometimes if the shaft is slightly worn or nicked on the surface for whatever reason, this can cause the seal to fail prematurely. Remember to buy a new case gasket too!

Oh yeah, depending on the year of your bike you might not be able to get at the bottom case bolt because it's hidden behind the bashplate rubber so you'll have to remove the bashplate itself. The bolt is exposed on later Rev3s (05 onwards I think) but if not, it's worth cutting a lump out of the rubber before refitting so you don't have to go through the hassle if you need to remove the side case again for whatever reason!

Thanks Neonsurge. I removed the seal and there is some surface rust on the shaft so it looks like the casing will need to come off after all. I had the sumpguard off once before and was hoping never to have to go through that again. Ah weel I shall have to try and find some strong clamps.

Put the bike on a stand and ask a friend (the biggest friend you have preferably) to sit on the bike, this will compress the sump gaurd into line, well thats what I did.

Apologies for a non related reply: Oi ! Baldilocks your inbox is full,be a tidy boy,

Wayne

Put the bike on a stand and ask a friend (the biggest friend you have preferably) to sit on the bike, this will compress the sump gaurd into line, well thats what I did.

Believe me, the last time I had the very biggest of friends and we really struggled! Eventually caught half a thread but it's not for the sensitive.