Pinging Conundrum

neonsurge

My recent proclaimation on another thread that I'd solved the pinging problem with my Rev-3 seems to have been premature. Last weekend it was up to its old pinging tricks, although only under under load and when going uphill at which point the pinging is accompanied by blue smoke from the exhaust.

I pulled the plug last night and it's black and wet. Combined with the blue smoke, a sure sign of worn piston/rings right? Well in my (limited) experience a bike with worn rings will reguarly foul plugs but mine starts very easily, idles fine, runs fine (most of the time) and has yet to foul a single plug. And why only when going uphill?

The uphill thing might be a red herring since this is obviously when the engine is usually under the most load and the problem is therefore most obvious, but the problem's certainly not severe and more of an annoyance than anything else. But the blue smoke worries me.

It's a relatively new bike (late '02) and hasn't been ridden much if at all in the past 12 months so I'd be surprised if a rebuild is required already (although I guess it does depend on how the bike was ridden from new to some extent). Could this be at least partially carb-related?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Edited by neonsurge

Take a few minutes to read the 'Pinging Beta' thread on this forum - you might find some clues.

I'm betting that your blue smoke and pinging happens after you've ridden for quite a while, yes / no? If yes, then blue smoke is a result of unburnt oil and spooge in the mid-muffler getting hot enough to start burning off - this lays down a fairly good smoke screen and it really stinks.

The pinging can also be happening because the bike is hot or hotter than on other rides - the pinging and blue smoke happen together.

Check your timing and make sure you're using a high quality / octane fuel blend.

Ack! Sorry 'bout that Clark, I KNEW I read a similar thread recently. That'll teach me to search/preview before posting. :D

Thinking about it, you're right - it does start when the bike is hot. I've tried various combinations of fuel/oil mixes, with and without octane booster, so I guess I'll look at the timing. Any documentation on this procedure anywhere?

I wouldn't worry too much about the blue smoke. It's a bit different with a 2 stroke than with a 4 stroke. In a 4 stroke blue smoke usually does mean worn parts are allowing oil into the combustion chamber, either past the piston and rings or past the valve guides. In a 2 stroke, of course, the oil goes in with the gas, and will build up in the exhaust like Clark said if the bike isn't run very hard. It is possible for a 2 stroke to smoke excessively if it is sucking transmission oil past a worn seal on the right side of the crank, but if this were the case it would smoke all the time.

It sounds like your plug is partially fouled, that might be what is causing the pinging. If a fresh plug clears it up , then your task is to find out why the plug isn't staying clean.

You mention "with and without octane booster", but don't make reference to racing fuel. I would not do anything to timing until you are sure you are running a high enough octane fuel, and not pump gas with an octane booster.

Find yourself some proper leaded racing fuel 108 octane, or better, and then mix it 50:50 with the highest octane pump gas you can find. Run that with a premix ratio of 80:1 synthetic and see how your bike performs.

From your post, I would bet you are running pump gas and adding too much 2-stroke oil to the mix, like 50 or 60:1 maybe?

You mention "with and without octane booster", but don't make reference to racing fuel.  I would not do anything to timing until you are sure you are running a high enough octane fuel, and not pump gas with an octane booster.

[snip]

From your post, I would bet you are running pump gas and adding too much 2-stroke oil to the mix, like 50 or 60:1 maybe?

You're right, I'm currently using pump unleaded with 5ml of STP octane booster per litre of fuel but I'm mixing 2-stroke oil at 80:1 which should be OK. I've no idea where to buy race fuel 'round here, but there's an airfield quite close... hmmm, avgas!?!

I guess I'll give super unleaded a try. Worth a go before I tear down to look at the timing.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've had problems with the engine not running too well a couple of times after using supermarket petrol. I now always use Shell Optimax and have no problems. It may be slightly more expensive than regular unleaded but filling a 5 litre container doesn't cost that much.

By the way, I still use the cheap supermarket stuff in the company car; the difference is - it isn't my engine :D

so I guess I'll look at the timing. Any documentation on this procedure anywhere?

According to the US importer, the timing will be pretty close to stock if the stator plate is rotated such that there is an equal amount of 'slot' on each side of the stator plate screws; that is, the screws are in the middle of their adjusting slots.

Mine was fairly advanced (stator plate adjusted opposite the crank rotation almost to the end of the slots) and I set it to the middle. Now all is well (I still have some occasional pinging that I consider acceptable).

The best scenario would be to set the bike up for the altitude you ride at & the fuel octane you plan on using all the time.

If you have timing set for a low octane and you put in the 108+ octane, then you will not see much difference other than you wallet is lighter.

However if you have the timing set for the 108 it will run real well. Then if you put in some of you friends lower octane gas then it will run like crap.

It