Crazy Canadians-ice Road

zippy

I have been watching "Ice Road Truckers" and I just had to post something about it. I definately have huge respect for those guys. Driving on ice, the heaviest load I have seen so far was 95,000 pounds. Plus some of those guys are pulling 30 to 42 hour days.

And some people say us trials riders are crazy. :lol:

I am not sure I have a hard time just remembering first names let alone last names.

Is it the 25 year old guy that has driven the ice road for last 7 years that you are talking about? He's got a real young child at home.

I used to travel a bit in the North Country while working for Yamaha Canada, and some of the Lakes are like Oceans - You are right about the black flies - had to change a tire on a rental car years ago while on route to Hay River and got swarmed by the buggers - they are huge & take chunks out of you. - Yellowknife is actually quite rocky and good for limited trials riding - there used to be a couple of Trials bikes in the area. The local natives are very ingenious - heard a story of one trapper out on the frozen lake hunting, when his old single cylinder Yamaha sled quit - he took the head off and found a hole in the top of the piston (wrong plug) - miles from anywhere - he simply fired off a shot with his rifle, then pounded the empty shell case into the top of the piston - he drove it like that for some time.

biffsgasgas Posted Today, 12:33 PM

I think its funny that zippy was actually taking you serious.....! hahahahahaha Like a trials rider would live in Yellow knife!?! Only 1 busy very buggy month of riding and all the rest would be hibernation.

OK I can be a bit of a Doofus!!!! But I was thinking relative like cousin or something. :rolleyes:

Those "Ice Road Truckers" show amazing resourcefulness in the face of overwhelming adversity. That 25 year old trucker guy just reminded me of The Fracy bunch and a handful of other similar Cunucks I have had the pleasure to know. If you haven't seen the show yet, it is awesome! I could see the Canadian trials characters driving up that road just the same as the guys on the show. It is understandable why Zippy thought I was serious.