Wich Was The Best Bike Of Its Time

Guest Yamaha_dude

Guest Yamaha_dude

Which trials bike do you think was the best bike of its time as in was it really revolutionary; the introduction of the monoshock, first 2 stroke, the first chasis less bike?

Whatever your reason which one and why?

Obviosuly owning one i think it was the 1984 Yamaha ty250 with the first mono-shock, but hopefuly your not all as selfish as me!!!

Rich

Sammy Millers Bultaco sherpa. It was the first light weight two-stroke trials bike.

As for mono shocks I dont think that it could really be called a 'revolution' because it did'nt really change how the bikes rode when they first started being used.

Danny

Edited by Trials la

As for mono shocks I dont think that it could really be called a 'revolution' because it did'nt really change how the bikes rode when they first started being used.

Yes, i think the real riding revolution really hit in about '87 when Jordi Tarres started winning with the full-on trick riding style, but does that make the Beta TR34 revolutionary?.........

Got hold of a Beta video in the late 80's with Jordi riding the TR34 to some dodgy pet shop boys music in the background :lol:

it showed the TR34 Being made then yer man riding it (thats when the crap music came in!)...I must have worn the video recorder out watching that vid :D

As for bikes, I guess it depneds on how old you are and what you started riding on.......for me it has to be the TY 250 mono....rose tinted specs and all :lol:

Guest Yamaha_dude

yay another suporter for the yam

if i am crowned to ride the best bike of all time then wow thats summat to be really proud of.

not as pround as an 04 gasser but still proud!!!

The thing is.

You wouldnt call an 04 gasser the best bike because thers not much new bout em and theyr not very revolutionary and maybe even wont be remebered for being so good in years to come but everyone wants one!

:D

Anywho Vote Yamaha :lol:

There's a couple of bikes that spring to mind.

The Yam TY250 mono of course, and the Beta zero from 1990. The prototype was ridden in 1989 to amazing success by Jordi Tarres.

The bike featured an Aluminium frame which doubled as a fuel tank (a first I think)

A water cooled engine

Upsidedown forks

Later on Hydraulic clutch

It was definately the bike to be on in the early 90's - look at the team John Lampkin had!

The 1994 Gas Gas also made a big leap in engine design with crankcase induction.

But I still believe the TY Yam was the best bike of it's time, never has any bike stayed so competetive for so long, and could be ridden by novice or expert.

Quiz time.

How many World rounds did the Yam win?

Well I remember the Fantic revolution. Nothing but Yamaha TY's for years, then all of a sudden nothing but Fantic's.

Maybe it was Fantic that pushed the Yamaha development of the brilliant TY250 mono (which I never owned due a weird montesa 250 choice and the Fantics)

I think that if I had to name one make it would be Yamaha, but to name one bike.........

I rode a C class National in the 70's at Sutton Falcons with around 130 Yamaha TY80's and nothing else.

The TY80 is undoubtedly THE greatest bike of all time!

I know it's not an adult bike, but it's been the start of many a riders careers and still is.

I've still not seen an 80cc engine that pulls/runs/stays running like the TY, after 30 years it still doesn't look old fashioned, and so many remain, many of them unrestored.

I still believe that a remake of the TY80 (probably with a little development, mainly weight) could start a revolution in trials. No bike has ever replaced it.

I agree with Bikespace on this one and for the same reasons. The TY80 has stood the test of time and fashion. Several of our family learned to ride on one and when it was eventually passed on to another youngster they all had a tear in their eyes. My neighbour has just bought one for his 10 year old daughter so here comes another generation benefiting from the TY80.

As for full size bikes "of their time" there can be no dispute that the first Sherpa brought the lightweight revolution in the mid 60s. It certainly made overnight experts of many riders but was it the "best" when quality control was so often abysmal?. Depends what your judging criteria are I suppose.

If you're looking at british/world success in the late 70s/early 80s, just before the monos came in, then maybe the last Sherpas, especially the 340s, were the "best" of that time although they don' fit YDs criteria of "revolutionary".

The Yam monos certainly brought the revolution to monoshock but whether that made them the best of their time is debatable.

The TY80 is a brilliant bike I learnt on one my brother learnt on one and loads of others including british,euro and world round riders. They still seem to be favourable over the little monos at trials.

but we currently looking to change to a minitrial or little mono 80 but my brother will grow out of a minitrial to fast and he's to small for a geared 50 or 80. yet i rode the ty until i was nearly 14 (then moved on to a 02 beta 250) My dad wants to change because the ty80 breaks down to much and we're no mechanics and my dad wants to change it before the top end goes. It wasn't my first bike but when the ty goes it will be a sad day. sadder than when my first bike goes.