Diagnosis Please :)

jza

Can anyone diagnose this issue?

Got on bike yesterday... Noticed that if i rock the forks up and down... or when the front wheel is bounced off the ground (up and down) there is a metalic "ping" or "crack" noise coming from around yolks/head stock thingy. When riding i could hear/feel it most as i rode downhill... just the odd ping here and there. You can feel this slightly through the handlebars too. The steering feels fine - no notchiness when turning the forks left or right its smooth as always. I have checked the handlebar bolts (perfect) and all the bolts are tight on the yolk/forks. Theres no play in the bit bolt under the handlebars either. It was dead hot at the time if thats of any interest.

Any ideas what this could be - and if so is this something i can fix or is it off to the shop time?

Cheers in advance

Jza

A friend of mine broke the steering head bolt on his gas gas. It goes between the fork clamps and through the stearing head. (I know really technical description) from what he told me it sounds similar to the symptoms you describe. His still turned fine and smooth with it broken, but made funny clanging noises.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ZIPPY

Can anyone diagnose this issue?

Got on bike yesterday... Noticed that if i rock the forks up and down... or when the front wheel is bounced off the ground (up and down) there is a metalic "ping" or "crack" noise coming from around yolks/head stock thingy. When riding i could hear/feel it most as i rode downhill... just the odd ping here and there. You can feel this slightly through the handlebars too. The steering feels fine - no notchiness when turning the forks left or right its smooth as always. I have checked the handlebar bolts (perfect) and all the bolts are tight on the yolk/forks. Theres no play in the bit bolt under the handlebars either. It was dead hot at the time if thats of any interest.

Any ideas what this could be - and if so is this something i can fix or is it off to the shop time?

Cheers in advance

Jza

You said you checked the handlebar bolts but have you checked the handlebar brace clamp bolts? My bike had that problem and it was one of the brace clamps moving on the bars.

yep, tighten the handlebar bracing bolts as a a start; then maybe the fork clamps. Its happened to me before.

I had the same problem, this is how i solved it.

Remove handlebars as you need to get to the 2 nuts underneath one is a normal nut, the other one has 2 slots. Slacken them both off .

Slacken off the hex bolts that hold the yolks to the fork stanchions, whilst these are slack tighten the slotted nut back up if you notice that the steerring tightens, back the nut off off very slightly until its free again. now tighten the top nut and the fork stanchion bolts and also replace the handlebars.. All was good in the hood for me afterwards... :D

If it's a cracking it will be the cross bar clamps on the handle bars

the headset bearings will not make that noise they tend to make

a knocking noise not the sharp cracking as you discribe.

Give them a good tighten up but loctite them as they

will come loose again1

had the same problem on my 4rt checked bars and clamps etc adjusted steering head bearings i was convinsed the noise was from the ffont end of the bike and could only hear noise when riding the bike finally traced fault to the restrictor in the rear silencer coming loose and sliding up and down. remove silencer 3 bolts easy job and check restrictor if loose in pipe a small amount of silocene will do the trick. hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...