New Majesty Kick Start

frenchie

In my quest to improve my majesty, I am looking to change the kickstart, I would like to add a new, lighter lever and dispense with the rather large heavy original. I have tried an alloy Ty mono kickstart welded to the original bottom piece, this has asthetically worked but its rather long and tricky to use . Has anybody done this mod with example a shorter kickstart lever from a modern trials bike, if so would they be willing to share which this is.

Thanks very much

Sorry, don't know which models they take them from but as they've been doing it for a good few years they must have used the TXT type at some point. Not sure what other bikes they use them off but with engineering facilities I guess just about anything can be made to fit. Take a look at Eric Boocock's C15 in this week's Classic Dirt Bike - looks similar to a Yamaha motocross kickstart

I'm told the Honda XR600 (aluminium) kickstart fits the TY250 twinshock and while the Gas Gas lever ends up a bit shorter than the original, the XR600 lever is slightly longer than the original but is still much lighter (and probably easier to find at the wreckers).

This is one of the few times in life when lenght is a problem, having added the alloy kick start it is slightly too long and awkward to get your leg on to it, also my foot slips off it when tryng to start the bike. It has not been a great sucess . If we can narrow down what year of gas gas we are looking at I will try and track one down before the rest of you try......

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...
In my quest to improve my majesty, I am looking to change the kickstart, I would like to add a new, lighter lever and dispense with the rather large heavy original. I have tried an alloy Ty mono kickstart welded to the original bottom piece, this has asthetically worked but its rather long and tricky to use . Has anybody done this mod with example a shorter kickstart lever from a modern trials bike, if so would they be willing to share which this is.

Thanks very much

I have just finished modifying and fitting a DT125 kickstart lever to fit my original TY250 kickstart lever boss and it looks very good, though I say it myself.

The DT125 lever is only about 5" long and so gives a good couple of inches plus clearance under the exhaust when closed and looks a lot less bulky than the original.

I had to ream out the kickstart lever and turn down the diameter of the boss spigot to get them to fit. I also cut the spigot down, drilled and tapped it to hold the lever on the spigot with a bolt and washer. This I feel is far better than the original washer and circlip.

And all this for less than

there was a detailed answer to this question about a year or so, regarding using a gasgas lever on a p 65 bike cant remeber anything else other than it wasnt a straight forward bolt on and forget solution..

and here after 5 mins on the search engine is the answer...

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....asgas+kickstart

the best bit is abut half way down

Edited by totalshell

Have managed to secure and fit a Gas gas type kickstart to the Ty knuckle and it looks good and is works well. However, has anybody else done this as my question is about durability. Stu from BPS who did the welding is really worried that it may not last long due to the stress put on the joint when its continually used.

The last thing you need is it breaking in a trial as you can imagine

Any thoughts would be greatly apprciated on the subject.

Thanks

Have managed to secure and fit a Gas gas type kickstart to the Ty knuckle and it looks good and is works well. However, has anybody else done this as my question is about durability. Stu from BPS who did the welding is really worried that it may not last long due to the stress put on the joint when its continually used.

The last thing you need is it breaking in a trial as you can imagine

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on the subject.

Thanks

Below is a copy of an email I received from Craig Mawlam of Yamaha-Majesty.com after I had seen a feature on his company in the latest Classic Dirt Bike magazine, which shows pictures of one of his TY250's with an ally kickstart.

I emailed Craig to ask if he supplied these kickstarts, which you can see from his response below that he does.

I did not take him up on it as it seems like a lot of money for half a new kickstart assembly to me, but others may think it sounds like a good deal, if they dont fancy messing about themselves.

Craig Mawlam would be the best person to ask about the longevity and durability of this type of conversion.

Here's his response:

Hi, there is some work involved in making the GasGas item fit. If you

send me your TY 250 kickstart assembly in the post I will be happy to do

the work and return a nice lightweight alloy kickstart just like the one

in the pictures back to you. The cost will be just

Edited by mollygreen