Scorpa Vs Montesa

yamahaty250xox

hi all,

im thinking about changing my bike in the not to near future, and i like the sy 250.

im currently riding a montesa 315r and im rele impresed with that.

what are the scorpas like?

whats the build quality?

how reliable are they?

any help apprecited

max

Steeper head angle(tighter turning radius so you may experience the front end tucking under until you get used to it), very good throttle response(like the 315R), well built(same in quality to the 315R), bullet proof engine(I know this from personal experience), very easy to maintain(like the 315R, you have to remove the tank to change the plug but the no linkage suspension makes up for the trouble), and great traction(like the 315R). I think that you will like it. Have you tried riding one.

Doug Wilson

I went from a Montesa 315 to a Scorpa sy250 over 2 years ago.

After 2 Monts which I liked very much the Scorpa was very different to ride but I adjusted quicker than I did between the 98 and 01 Montesas.

I have found the build quality as good and never looked back. As stated by dfwilson, the linkless rear suspension is a bonus as it works superbly

and is maintenance free.

I had a 03 sy absolutely brilliant bike easy to work on and never had any major problems with it in 2 years, rear suspension is very good and maintenace free only changed to beta due to the fact that the importer at the time was rather crap with his aftercare service, if Birkett had been importer in then i would still be on them. and the new 08 model looks ACE

Had the privilage of chucking a few spanners over the Legends 02 sy this week, I was well impressed how they are put together and built. Easy to work on considering how compact the unit is and the rear shock is quite clever how it works and mounts. Header is SS and looks like new still and i got the feeling the sy's would last a very long time even without much doing to them. Did a trial with Dan on the weekend and the sy carb and air box was pretty much clean compared to the caby's dirt it picked up during the day,although saying that mine did get alot closer to the mud than the legends :blink: Also noticed how little mud came out of the Sy's air filter whilst being washed compared to the Sherco?

Edited by The Addict

I have a 03 scorpa which I bought used but in Mint condition. I love it.

I have had a problem with the seal behind the clutch leaking oil into the crankcase. It was easy and strait forward to fix. Not like changing the clutch slave cylinder last week; off with the rear sub frame, air box, muffler, center pot and carb ! hope its three years before I have to do that again. Draining the carb is also pain so I have drilled a small drain hole in the airbox.

The Scorpa is a dream to ride, you have to ride the clutch a little more than most other bikes at low revs but when you give it the gas it climbs LOOOOOONG steep hills like a goat on coke.

I borrowed a Sherco 290 for a trial several weeks ago and although it was a very easy bike to ride it didnt have the performance of the Scorpa.

If I was to buy a new bike tomorrow, Definately another Scorpa, maybe even a 4 stroker.

Hello, I just rode a 2007 SY250 in the 5 Jour du Verdon, some days over 100km loops with harder going than the Scottish. I usually ride Gassers, for the last 15 years at least. I thought the Scorpa was an easy bike to ride, too much flywheel weight for me as it tends to roll too much in rocky sections, skimming the flywheel down a bit would help. Good controllable motor. Suspension worked well on the smaller rocks though I felt it was too lively for bigger stuff. Cycle parts well sorted out, seat base tends to warp in the centre with too much sitting down and the silencer tends to burn your upper leg,cheek area! Definately fit a carbon fibre shield. Footrests feel too far back. Otherwise, the bike worked very well for me, seeing as I have never ridden a Scorpa before. Motor has a very good feel, gear ratios are well chosen. I hear that Birkett offers superb after sales service. I must say that Scorpa France were absolutely the best in looking after all of their Scorpa customers, with impeccable and very friendly service, the likes of which I have never seen before - if you know Al the spanner from Darlington way, it was like having a whole bunch of Al,s working for you, simply great service.

Bye, PeterB.