Riding Trials Good Cardio?

mynameislance

Are you crazy going to a fitness site and asking people that don't smoke,eat junk food or drink large amount's of beer a question like that. :blink:

lol...ya, after i posted it i was like,"oh crap, no one is gonna know what that is...for fun they walk around the neighborhood lifting heavy stuff in peoples yards, then go have protien shake chugging contests with their friends, then if they have enough time before their 10th workout of the afternoon they'll snort a couple lines of creatine and stare at themselves in the mirror"....lol sorry if i offended anyone

Are you crazy going to a fitness site and asking people that don't smoke,eat junk food or drink large amount's of beer a question like that. :P

lol...ya, after i posted it i was like,"oh crap, no one is gonna know what that is...for fun they walk around the neighborhood lifting heavy stuff in peoples yards, then go have protien shake chugging contests with their friends, then if they have enough time before their 10th workout of the afternoon they'll snort a couple lines of creatine and stare at themselves in the mirror"....lol sorry if i offended anyone

:blink: Apology excepted.

If you have the mean's of getting out on your bike as much as possible even for an hour is a good thing to do,not just for the fitness side of thing's but good for your ridding ability aswell.

Not sure how many trial's you've done,but a good long day of trialing will wake up alot of muscle's you never knew you had,and boy you'd feel it the next morning.

hope that answer's some of your question.

If you have the mean's of getting out on your bike as much as possible even for an hour is a good thing to do,not just for the fitness side of thing's but good for your ridding ability aswell.

Not sure how many trial's you've done,but a good long day of trialing will wake up alot of muscle's you never knew you had,and boy you'd feel it the next morning.

hope that answer's some of your question.

Well here's the deal, I go to the weight room 3 times a week to lift, then I do cardio the days I don't go to the gym...and if I could ride my bike for a couple hours for my cardio it would be the best of many worlds...it's fun, I'll get better at riding, and do my cardio.

For instance; yesterday when I got off of work I went and rode my bike in an area I always go with my mx bike, very loose dirt and sandy conditions. Lots of hill climbs, steep banks, etc...Once I convinced myself I wasn't on my mx bike and to quit riding like I was, I started finding very difficult climbs and obsticle due to constantly changing traction conditions. I don't know if you have ever tried to do trials stuff in very very loose dirt/sand, but I worked my butt off!!! I probably rode for 3 hours like this, by the time I was done I literally had sweat running out of my helmet, it was kind of gross. I know it was a good workout, but I'm not sure if it was more of a cardio workout or a strength workout.

Is riding trials for a hour or 2 considered a good cardio workout? I tried asking on a fitness site and they all laughed at me, no one knew what trials was.

The answer depends on your definition of "Cardio". In the fitness world, a cardio workout is more about exercising the heart, as a muscle. Meaning, the objective is to take the heart to beats per minute level, that is typically xx% of your maximum heart rate, for your given age. It has been awhile, but I think the formula is 220 beats, minus your age, equals your maximum. Then, a cardio workout involves getting your heart rate to say 80% of the maximum, for a given period of time. Again, the idea is to exercise the heart, as a muscle.

This kind of workout is typically at the other end of the spectrum, of what you want to do for weight loss. Weight loss involves burning calories, but your body can store those calories (energy) in different areas. Whether you burn that energy from short term storage (like muscles) or long term storage (like fat) depends on how work out, and the intensity.

A couple of hours practice time, on a trials bike, leans more toward a fat loss workout, than a true cardio workout.

rode for 3 hours like this, by the time I was done I literally had sweat running out of my helmet, it was kind of gross. a

just out of interest are you wearing your full face mx helmet or have you reverted to an open face helmet.

think we all sweat but a full facer would'nt help cool you down much.

just out of interest are you wearing your full face mx helmet or have you reverted to an open face helmet.

think we all sweat but a full facer would'nt help cool you down much.

I have a full face...I can see the benefits of an open face helmet for trials, but I would rather sweat a lot then knock out any teeth...again

it all depends on how hard you ride, if you ride a tough section round and round without stopping then yes, trials is a very good cardio workout, i dont know if anybody saw the posts on last years scott trial showing that ben hemmingways heart beat reaching 180bpm or more, albeit this wasnt for a very long period of time. it still shows that in the correct conditions you can raise your heartbeat to a sufficient pace for a cardio workout. as far as weightloss goes it is exercise, all exercise burns calories, so as long as you perform enough exercise to bur more calories that you take on through the week then you are bound to lose wieght.

I've done manual labor most of my life, so I'm in fair shape. I used to play racketball years ago, trials riding gets my heart beating just as good as racketball. When I'm practicing by myself, I don't rest as often as when I'm with someone. Wrestling the bike trying not to fall down, falling anyway, picking myself and the bike up, that gets my heart going.

Last weekend we had an competition of 3 rounds x 10 sections. I heard at the pits that during sections, I mean, not standing in line and waiting, but driving, a trials would take as much as 750 calories / hour. In competitions this isnt maybe possible, as you need to wait, drive to next section etc, but it might be quite close when practising. I havent ridden since 20+ years. Started it 3 months ago again and had 1 month "holiday", when I only had a chance to ride 1-2 hours / week. My normal training session starts 4pm and lasts until 7.30 or 8. I do not spend time talking bull**** that much and normally sweat like hell. During this 3 months period (still continuing drinking beer and eating barbecue with sauces) I have in average trained maybe 2-3 times/week for 3 hours/session. Since day one, I have lost 7 kilos, my muscles are in a lot better shape and I do have noticed some new muscles in the beginning that I actually didnt knew I had :P

I have seen some documents that list different sports and calories they take per hour. Aerobics are quite consuming and are close to 900/hour. Compared to this, I do believe that 750 would be very close to truth.

And finally. If your goal is to loose fat, your heart rate should be 60-70% of the maximum, not more. I would assume that most of the time, trial is very close to this level, but will for sure many times during practise hour raise much higher. At least for me when I try something stupid and see my life running before my eyes :blink:

Trials is more like a "Tug of War" event for me, as I usually end up pulling the bike through 50% of the sections! :blink:

But seriously though, I've played amature rugby league and done a fair bit of recreational/keep fit running and after a trial, I feel just as stiff as I did after a game/decent run.