Carb Manifold / Extension

beamish owners club

Sorry I can't help with where to buy one, I usually make my own, but it is a very good mod to do. Not only will it help keep the fuel cool and hence improve carburation generally, a longer inlet tract also helps increase bottom end torque - it's one of those win/win situations really :-). So well worth persevering with. Hopefully someone on here will have better info for you. Good luck.

You can easily make one up to suit using 6 x 30mm mild steel flat bar, cut out the flat bar to match the cylinder head inlet tract and another piece to match your carb, then join these two together in the correct plane with a piece of tube approx 25mm dia using brazing. This minimises the distortion. To further help with reducing distortion, clamp the flat bar solidly to a solid piece of steel while brazing. This worked well for me.

Bye, PeterB.

Standard Norton or Triumph carb extension fits. I'm using one on my 59 D7 Bantam in competition now. It's a direct bolt-up. I have pictures if you would like. Moves the carb back about 2", seems to have solved my heating problems. I also have a "thermite" (or whatever that stuff is) spacer/gasket on both sides of the extension.

Alan

• 2 years later...

FWIW when i had my old B40 i just turned two stubs up on the lathe c/w flanges and used a Bultaco inlet manifold rubber. Gave me the right length provided, heat insulation and isolated any vibration probloems reducing frothing in the carb.

Simples :rolleyes:

Then again if you havent got access to a lathe :o