175/200 Scorpa

mostar

Hi there ,

Thinking about getting a Scorpa 175/200cc 4 smoke ,

Dont want to ride our top grade any more due to no time to practise ,

But riding the next grade down on the Gas Gas I have now, is to easy & no challenge ,

So are looking at getting a Scorp 175cc to have more of a challenge ,

Can any one out there tell me ,

(Will the clutch hold out) , Or will the clutch just get hot and start creaping due to the slipping of the clutch to get up a rock/etc ,

Thanks for any help .

Hi Mostar,

Not exactly the reply you are after, but(!), hope you could help.

My other half has got it into her head she wants to emigrate to NZ and we're really interested in the Nelson area - my only concern - are there many trials happening around there or do you just practice then travel etc??? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Hi Mostar

I have an 07 175 and it is fine. I rang nigel birkett about this very matter and he said it all depends on how you ride it, If you are like me and are on and off the clutch all the time it will get hot but to help cool the clutch he told me to drill holes in clutch push plate to let the oil in and around it, also 10w 40 oil helps.

I can't see how a Scorpa clutch is going to be any worse than any other under 200cc bike, if your not riding experts and doing splats against 6ft walls in every other section you'll be fine.

If you thinks that downsizing to a scorpa is going to be more of a challenge I think you may be dissapointed, many a baby scorpa rider has actually gone the other way and improved their riding, perhaps a ty175 would be a better choice?

My 175 has a hydraulic clutch with an 1cm extension to the clutch arm, and quite frankly its the lightest, most predictable clutch i've ever had.

In fact the only trouble with the baby scorpa is that er indoors keeps on shafting me for little jobs around the house because I don't spend saturday maintaining the bike ready for sunday!!!!!

Hi Mostar,

Not exactly the reply you are after, but(!), hope you could help.

My other half has got it into her head she wants to emigrate to NZ and we're really interested in the Nelson area - my only concern - are there many trials happening around there or do you just practice then travel etc??? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick ,

Once you come here you wont go back , Nelson has a good club & Nelson has the most sun shine hours in the hole of NZ ,

So if you like wet club trials dont come here , LOL .

On top of all that we have one of the best trials park in the world ,

Club days once a month & you can practice at the park when ever you like , Just a donation for maintance at the park ,

Hope this helps ,

Cheers

Karl

post-2748-1189835696.jpg

I can't see how a Scorpa clutch is going to be any worse than any other under 200cc bike, if your not riding experts and doing splats against 6ft walls in every other section you'll be fine.

If you thinks that downsizing to a scorpa is going to be more of a challenge I think you may be dissapointed,

Thanks for the info ,

I still like to do the odd load the cluch up & splat a rock , so the way you talking it looks like it will hold up to it ,

And I am looking forward to the less maintance , with what I am use too with the Gas Gas ,

Thanks for the help ,

Hi Karl, to answer your question, I have a Gasser myself and have a friend who has a new 200 SY 4 smoke.

After putting in a few rides on it Im confident you will find it more of a challenge to do higher level sections with the ease a 2 smoke later model gasser. Found the standard feel of the clutch to be very on..off , very hard to get it to feed in progressively, so the mod suggested by Yamfan may first job to look at !

Steveo

Steveo, did the 200 have a cable or hydraulic clutch?

I agree if you are going to ride the bigger stuff the 200 would be more of a challenge, depending also on how much you weigh, I weigh in at a trim 105kgs!!!!!!!

One thing to be aware of the TYS does have slightly less ground clearence than the SY/beta/gasgas ( might have some thing to do with the 105kgs) My son rides with the big boys on his BETA 270 however he reakons cross training on my 175 improves his technique as he has to work for a living on the bigger stuff!!!!!!!!

Thanks Steveo for the info ,

I had this sent to me as well ,

All Scorpa 125's need to have the clutch activating arm modified. )

Remove arm and round sharp edges. )

The clutch is no longer a trigger and now operates perfectly; I do not know )

why Scorpa France does not do this mod before the bikes leave the factory, )

as the bike would not have carried this undeserved cross by its name )

I am not dissing the scorpa , I just know there would be more of a effort on 200cc scorp & what there would me on the Sheco/GG 200cc ,

Monty 125cc If they wernt so $$$$$ & hard to get your hands on ,that would be something I would look at as well ,

Thanks Guys ,

might be slightly off topic but here goes, whats all th talk of a 200 as far as I was aware there are two versions of the little scorpas, the 125 and the 175 which I think is either 143cc (nearer a 125 than a 175) or 163cc which is a more (too) expensive version, I have fancied one of these little scorpas for a while and think a 200 would be ideal, anyone with detailed info please put me right on whats available.

Thanks