Beta Or Sherco 2008

gas gas liam

Well as you can see from the forum title I do not know what I should go for beta or a sherco. Im looking to buy a 2008 125 but not sure what would be best? Anyone had both? Would like to know your honest opinions on what u think. I do want a reliable bike but I don

cheers i do actually prefer the sherco but nice to hear your opinion. are they realiable????

Not too sure what you've heard about unreliability.

I can honestly say my Sherco is THE most reliable bike I've ever had, just because I've had it 4 years and nothing has gone wrong with it. I've never done that with any other bike, even thinking back to TY80's in the 70's. Probably a close call with the TY80 but ya know what I mean.

If you want to power wash your bike down and dump it in the garage then the Sherco may not be for you. You only need to spend 15 or 20 minutes taking the airbox off and cleaning the carb (just drop the float bowl), but I would do it every week to play safe.

Other than that I can think of nothing.

Having said that the Beta is pretty sturdy too apart from the odd problem with the electrics with more than a few of them. I do think the Sherco is the better bike, but I may be biassed, although I spent a Loooooong time choosing between Beta and Sherco when I bought mine.

i think the sherco is the better of the 2. It feels a lot lighter and the power all the way through is better

what a load of boll0cks :D

Another well formulated answer straight from the blarney stone.

What's your reason for disregarding someone elses view so strongly, he even says "I think....", Beta owner perhaps? Oh yeah.

He's even owned both of them, have you had either of the recent 125's? As his views seem to be specific to the 125 rather than the bikes in general.

Most people don't mind a bit of a Mickey take, but you've not got the wit to do it, so you resort to this crud.

To my memory you've been one of the biggest %&^$ers on here and you've proved it again.

Bikespace cheers i think i will probably go for the sherco

thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

:D

Get a few more views mate and give them both a try. I've got Sherco, I've had great service from it, I'm bound to be slightly biassed, although all my comments were genuine.

Beta is a cracking bike too. I find the Beta heavier on the arms than the Sherco.

You've always got the chance of a bike that plays you up, but with both you have a good chance of lovin' em.

Edited by bikespace

I too had a few sherco's and would reccomend them, but not over and above a Beta as I havn't had one as much as anything as whenever I have ridden one it seemed "uncomfortable" nothing wrong with the bike just didn't suit me. There are very few betas in the youth classes compared to Gassers so that may indicate something aswell......

Gas Gas Liam,

I don't mean to state the obvious but you need to try out the bike of your choice as thoroughly as you can.

Nothing wrong with asking for advice but like Dabster says if the bike doesn't suit you or is too uncomfortable to ride then thats a handicap.

Other peoples opinions are just that ..opinions..!

Brilliant riders can ride anything well ( just look at Bou :D ) but the rest of us have to be a lot more careful when choosing our next bike.

Hi Gasser

My Beta is a 250 but in terms of build it's been excellent. Ridden almost every weekend since purchase in March & apart from the usual carb / filter cleans it has been washed & WD40'd after every trial & that's about it (oh & changed oil) It's still on original plug & except for a bent rear brake lever (my fault, not bikes) that's it. I would certainly have another - & probably will, but not 'til 09.

Bike itself suits me (suits you sir :D ) but I rode several marques before deciding & I'm very happy with my choice, try to get as long a test as possible on each bike you're thinking of.

Cheers

Ade

Hi Gasser

My Beta is a 250 but in terms of build it's been excellent. Ridden almost every weekend since purchase in March & apart from the usual carb / filter cleans it has been washed & WD40'd after every trial & that's about it (oh & changed oil) It's still on original plug & except for a bent rear brake lever (my fault, not bikes) that's it. I would certainly have another - & probably will, but not 'til 09.

Bike itself suits me (suits you sir :D ) but I rode several marques before deciding & I'm very happy with my choice, try to get as long a test as possible on each bike you're thinking of.

Cheers

Ade

As an aside,

Regardless of make change your plug regularily, every couple of months setting the gap etc keeps the spark how the manufacturer intended, keeps the motor sharp, they are cheap and new is good.

As an aside,

Regardless of make change your plug regularily, every couple of months setting the gap etc keeps the spark how the manufacturer intended, keeps the motor sharp, they are cheap and new is good.

That is one of the best snippets of advice you will find particularly for a Gas Gas.

As an aside,

That is one of the best snippets of advice you will find particularly for a Gas Gas.

I had a 125 beta for a year then switched to a 125 sherco and thought it was 100xbetter!! But that only goes for the 125s because when i moved up last year I bought a cabestany rep but i think it is far too much for anyone except those at the level of the british championship upwards! Anyway, I have now got a 200 beta 2006 and it is superb. Never had any bother with it (though i did have to change the stator on my 05 125 beta) and i think it has plenty of power for any clubman/national rider. Bt i cant give an opinion on a 250 sherco or a 290 cos ive neverhad one so as they said above get a good shot on the bike before you buy it.