Rear Wheel Bearings

rex a. lott

You get a socket that fits just around the out side of the bearing. You keep hitting it and this will force the other bearing at the other side out, there is a long thin metal tube inside the rear hub so catch that.

You then put that socket you have just used on a long rod and put it inside the hub and nock out the other one.

Gavin

I know this is not how it should be done but I once had a problem getting some very old wheel bearings out of a Beta wheel and resorted to welding a big nut on to the bearing that gave me something to hit from the opposite side. This knackered the bearings but they were knackered anyway so who cares.

I would do this (and did) only as a last resort but it worked no problem.

The safest way to avoid any damage is to get a light engineering shop to turn up a double-diameter (shouldered) steel drift to fit inside the alloy spacer and inside the bearing. You should be able to get the dimensions from the bikes importer.

Then check to see that there are no circlips holding the bearings in place, it's not so common now but I think Technos have them for instance.

Gently warm up one side of the hub round the bearing seat and use the drift to drive the bearing out . The other side is now no problem as you have lots of room to work on it.

If you can't be bothered to do it properly you can just use a socket or bar to wallop out the alloy spacer and the bearing, again after warming the hub. You'll definitely mash up the thin end of the spacer but if you're very lucky you might be able to dress it up with a file for re-use.

And take careful note of t-shock 250's post!.

then after its apart, cut some notches on one end of the spacer, aobut 1/2 wide and 1/2 inch deep, or drill a cross hole through the spacer someo

where along the way.

next time at least, you have something to use a drift punch on to get them out.

k

Thanks for all the tips. I used the method where I welded a piece of metal to the inner race and drove the bearing out. It worked great. I have a SKF bearing cross referance for you all. The SKF # is 6004 2RSJEM for rear wheel bearings. Thanks Again

Rex

sounds like some of you have complicated the process slightly....I use an old blunt screwdriver and tap out the bearings from the opposite side of the wheel, making sure that the bearing is pushed out uniformly by tapping evenly around it's periphery.

Takes a bit of skill with the hammer but never fails....honest

20mm ground shafting from "Metal Supermarket" about 200mm long with square sharp edge on one end

Warm the opposite hub a bit with propane torch

Tap the sleeve and bearing out with the shafting

Pop the seals off your new bearings (6004-2RS, not 6004-ZZ) and fill with grease. Replace the seals

Tap bearings in evenly on the outer race with a large socket

Done, 5 minutes later