Rear Shock

andy.t

Hi ,could anyone let me know what part should move on the rear shock lower joint,should it revolve on the large ball section or the spiggot type halfs that push into the ball section.The problem with mine is it looks as if its been moving on the fixing bolt and only because it was not that tight.The ball is very stiff and the spiggots dont meet in the centre so it goes tight when the bolt is done up.

Parts look like this.....

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/ty...28_184742AA.jpg

Regards Andy.

I just read something that PeterB wrote and it got me thinking the movement that I dont have should be on the spherical bush,mine is very stiff. It looks like you can push it out as he mentioned and grease it up.Anyone knows if this can be done on all the shocks,could be an expensive mistake if mine wasn't meant to come out.

Yes the bearing can be pushed out. The method I use is to find 2 sockets and use them in a vice to form a kind of press. One socket pushes the bearing through the shock and into the other.

The new bearings are quite expensive and I would recomend ordering a replacement BEFORE you remove the old one. GasgasUK are very good

Thanks for the info Blocky,I only wanted to try and remove the ball part and stick some grease in it,does the method you mention remove the whole thing,the ball and the brass ball retainer.I dont really need a new one its just a bit stiff and assumed it should rotate with ease as its part of the moving shock system.Any more info would be appreciated.

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy,

Usually, if the rose joint is a bit seized up, then it is usually stuffed. After prising out the two shouldered washers, you can get grease onto the ball and work this in by rotating the ball in its socket using the bolt through the ball to rotate it. The rose joint, has an external housing, it is this that you can match up to a socket of the same outside diameter (OD) and use a bigger socket as described before to allow you to squeeze the old rose joint out, as a complete unit, it doesn't fall apart once removed. These spherical bearings are a bit pricey. Always grease up a new one with water proof grease.

At the same time, check out the 50mm long sleeve bearing in the s/arm linkage area, its at the end of the link arms. On older bikes, these could sometimes break up.

Bye, PeterB.

Once you've removed the bearing, measure its outside diameter, its inside diameter and it width.

Try and select your bearing from HERE there's loads to look through. if possible get a maintainence free one possibly in the GE..-UK section, once you've found the correct size ring up a local bearing supplier and tell them its an INA Radial spherical plain bearing and quote the code i.e GE10-UK, bet it isn't anymore than

Edited by Chris Morris

Thank you all for the info,just incase your interested I removed the joint as mentioned and when it was out it rotated as it should, so I just cleaned up the bore to which it fitted and pressed it back in,its now free to move. When it was out I noticed the brass section had a grease passage to the ball so I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole in the shock ring section,stuck in a grease nipple,re-fitted the joint and then pumped it full of grease,I have removed the nipple and put in a pan head screw in,its easy enough to remove and refit next time I want to grease it again.

Thanks all again,Andy.

Looks like this....

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/ty...reasenipple.jpg