'04 Rev3 Update

ronm

Greetings All,

I posted a message last December about selecting and buying an '04 Beta Rev3 270. I have put a lot of time on it since, and I thought I would post an update.

I still absolutely love the bike and I am certain I made the right choice. If you did not read or remember the previous post, I started out on an '87 Beta (9 years old). Then I bought a '96 Techno (1 year old). I competed on the Techno for 4 years. In 2000 I bought a new GasGas 280 for my 14 year old son (bit of a story there). He rode the High School class at the US nationals and the US Youth Nationals on it. After that season, he lost interest in trials. I then had 2 bikes in the basement. A 5 year old Techno and a one year old GasGas. So, I became a GasGas rider. The GasGas was definitely superior to the Techno and allowed me to move up a class. After having the opportunity to ride all of the '03 bikes, I decided I had to buy a new Beta. It was a year before I was able, and in Dec. of '03 I bought a 2004 model 270. Each brand had its strengths, but for me, the Beta had the most relevant mix of strenghts and weaknesses.

Some brands of bikes have traits that are definitely different from others. It took a while to adapt to the GasGas. After 3 seasons on it, it took a while to re-adapt to the Beta. People often talk about Betas being front end heavy. I have weighed the front and back ends of Technos, Revs, GasGas Standards, and GasGas Pros. The ratio of front to rear weight is almost identical on all of them. But, I have to agree that Betas do FEEL heavier on the front. If you switch from a Pro to a Rev, you will have to give a little more bar input to get the front end up and to keep it up. This is not necessarily good or bad. It is just different.

I have had no problems with the bike. I have done a little crash damage, but considering the severity of the crashes, it is really minimal. In one crash, the bike ended up with the front fender bent straight back toward the number plate. It was bent 90 degrees. It has a cross wise crack just in front of the fork brace, but it did not break off and I have been riding it for 2 months since and the crack has not gotten worse. I cracked my right side rear subframe (airbox support). This is a fairly inexpensive aluminum stamping.

I spent a little time getting the jetting sorted out. I replaced the 150 main and 30 pilot with the recommended 145 and 27.5. Flat ground performance was ok. Pulled good off idle and ran ok on top. The problem was that if I approached a hill or tall obstacle at idle and then rolled the throttle on, the midrange was off enough to cause 4 stroking until the rpms built up to 3000 or so. I played around with needle position, needle jets, pilots, and mains. In the end, I raised the slide cutaway (cut the slide) 2mm. I am running a 140 main, 30 pilot, and the needle clip in the highest slot. It pulls cleanly at all rpms regardless of the load. No pinging on 93 octane pump premium. I run full synthetic at 80:1. I notmally ride around 900 ft elevation. I talked with Ron Commo Sr at Beta USA the other day. He told me they have never had to cut a slide. I had similar problems with my Techno and solved it with a leaner needle jet. But for me, what I am running now works very well.

I recently adjusted my shock and fork preload for the first time. Stock settings worked well for my 175 lb. On the rear, I have about 3mm of preload from the minimum position. On the front, I have the adjuster screw about 5mm below the top of the fork cap. I tightened up my rebound damping 4 clicks (clockwise - LH side) to compensate.

I estimate that I have around 140 hours on it (actual engine running time). I am still running on the original plug. I just replaced the rear brake pads (rode some really muddy events).

I am running footpegs with a 7/8 inch rearward offset. This works well for my 6'-2'' frame. If I had to name a flaw, it would be in the chain guard design. Due to the fact that it has to clear the muffler, it is quite open on top. In really muddy events, the rear tire just pours a steady stream of mud on the chain, which in turn packs up under the counter shaft cover.

In my area Betas are in the minority, but are coming back. One club member recently put his '04 280 Pro up for sale after getting a test ride on a Beta. The bike weighs 8 lbs more than a Pro. When you are in the parking lot, 8 lbs might feel like a lot. In a section, I don't think it makes a difference. In exchange for the 8 lbs, you get an absolutely SUPERB clutch, great brakes (the rear is almost too strong), tight and precise steering, reasonable gearing, and that beautiful Italian design. In summary, I would say that I am one happy camper!

Edited by RonM

Ron, thanks for the update! Interesting analysis re: jetting and suspension. Around here some of the Beta riders cut off the countershaft sprocket guard right at the magneto cover to purge mud better (not that we have mud that often - ever - here in N. TX - it also looks kinda cool, or dangerous).

Why do you think the Beta is gaining popularity in your area?

Aaron, interesting that I remembered the jet sizes and then went spaz on the name of the bike. I fixed it before I lost anymore credibility.

Clark,

I have thought about sawing the sprocket guard off. Lots of people don't even run them on their bikes. But since it is one piece with the mag cover, I am afraid I imght change my mind and have to buy the whole thing again. As for the popularity gain- There were a lot of Betas in the STRA when I joined in 1996. At that time, most everybody around these parts bought their bikes from B&J Racing. They sold all brands and did (and still do) a good job. Then 2 things happened. Beta went a year too long with the Techno and the TTC started up and got a GasGas franchise. The TTC is such a good place to buy a bike, they quickly became one of the top GasGas dealers in the country. Also '99 was the beginning of Sherco, which came on the heels of the demise of Fantic. RYP has done such a phenomenal job with the Sherco line that they have become the #2 brand in the SE. Also, the Montesa 315 replaced the old fat 314. So the increased popularuty of these brands came at the expense of Beta. (Oh yeah, also somebody hired away the world champ from Beta, and also the US national champ)

The Rev3 was eagerly awaited down here, but I don't think I remember seeing but one of them sold in our club. Probably because of the upside down forks. When the 2001 came out, we had a few. Then we picked up a couple of 2002s. There was only one 2003. Now with Ray Peters at the TTC full time, riding a Beta, everyone gets to see it in action. Actually they get to see mine in action, but it is not always the proper kind of action. A problem now is that the TTC sells Beta, but there are not enough bikes in this area currently to justify much of a parts inventory. But Ray is riding most STRA events and he has his own stock of spares that he can help out with in a pinch. We still have a number of Technos also. One interesting thing is that a lot of our members have only been riding trials less than 4 or 5 years. They don't know anything about the days when Beta was a dominant brand in this area. So to answer your question, the brand is on a come back. There is no doubt that they have the best bike. The problem is getting people to try it and understand why it is different.

Thanks for that Ron - I love to have that kind of background info! I always order parts directly from Commo - he has my CC # on file and I can place an order on Monday and have the parts by Thursday.

I think the GasGas dealers aren't required to 'buy' their inventory where BETA requires the dealer to purchase their inventory up front - just something I heard, not sure if it is true, but it could help explain the 'popularity' of the brand.

Following Billy T's advice I have taken my '03 250 all the way up to a #40 pilot and worked my way completely back to the 'stock' 27.5. The 27.5 pilot definitely gives the machine that distinctive Beta 'pop-pop-pop' exhaust sound. I'm changing to the #30 pilot to richen it up just a tad and to soften a little pinging. (145 main, needle in the mid-position, stock cutaway).

Congratulations Terry!!

I'm sure you will be happy with it.

I wish I could be at the Falling Water event, but I have family stuff that weekend. It will be a good chance for you the see what your new Beta's got!

-Ron