Royal Enfields

axulsuv

Hi All ; I just got back from the North American Twinshock Championships and I have to say that besides having a great time and not crashing ,

that I got to ride a work of art !!!! a 1960 royal enfeild bullet ... although trimmed down to well under 300 lbs , and a work of art in everyway ,

WHAT A MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could plow feilds with this beast ! But I must admit it is the most comfortable trials bike I have ever

riden , the stance can only be summed up as perfect !!! Here is the one photo I took of it , but the build process can be seen at www.twinshock.org on the photo page under "reshaping a bullet " More torque than most tractors !!!

Glenn

post-1232-1191376209.jpg

Hi All ; I just got back from the North American Twinshock Championships and I have to say that besides having a great time and not crashing ,

that I got to ride a work of art !!!! a 1960 royal enfeild bullet ... although trimmed down to well under 300 lbs , and a work of art in everyway ,

WHAT A MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could plow feilds with this beast ! But I must admit it is the most comfortable trials bike I have ever

riden , the stance can only be summed up as perfect !!! Here is the one photo I took of it , but the build process can be seen at www.twinshock.org on the photo page under "reshaping a bullet " More torque than most tractors !!!

Glenn

Whats up with the TY sitting next to it? Never seen a frame like that. Appears that tank is in the backbone. Any info on it?

Yes , just go to the link and see all about Mr. Downs creations , I never got a chance to try the Ossamaha ,

But I'm sure it would have been sweet as well !...

Glenn

Check out the ITSA website , bike of the month features , the Ossamaha is shown there too !...

Edited by axulsuv

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All ; I just got back from the North American Twinshock Championships

Is that the one in New Hampshire? I rode that one a few years ago. Were there many other pre-65 bikes out?

Doug

No, this is my recent creation from an original 1960 Don Morley factory Trials 350 Bullet. It was last used in the UK in the 2005 pre 65 SSDT. I imported it in Nov 2006 and then spent some time working out how to make it more competitve. The frame was hacked and the swinging arm moved inside the primary case and gearbox, shortening the wheelbase from 55+ to 51. Head angle changed and engine raised to give 12 ground clearance. Yam back wheel fitted and now rear brake, gears, and kickstart all on the right. Will be in action during 2008 as this year it was the Tiger Cub as the main weapon.

On an event note there were several Cub's, C15's and some Bantams.

Glad there was a few older bikes out at the event. I really enjoyed the year I went. I think it bounced around to a few different venues after Gunstock NH and I'm afraid I kind of lost track of what was happening with it. Will have to try and get back out next year.

The Enfield looks great.

Doug

Is that the one in New Hampshire? I rode that one a few years ago. Were there many other pre-65 bikes out?

Doug

No, this is my recent creation from an original 1960 Don Morley factory Trials 350 Bullet. It was last used in the UK in the 2005 pre 65 SSDT. I imported it in Nov 2006 and then spent some time working out how to make it more competitve. The frame was hacked and the swinging arm moved inside the primary case and gearbox, shortening the wheelbase from 55+ to 51. Head angle changed and engine raised to give 12 ground clearance. Yam back wheel fitted and now rear brake, gears, and kickstart all on the right. Will be in action during 2008 as this year it was the Tiger Cub as the main weapon.

Are you Flt. Lt. Tony Downs by any chance?

Big John

Doug

Big John

Doug

Big John

Big John,

Yes that was me! Of course I was only a Flying Officer on my first SSDT which was 1970, but I did ride and finish 8 x SSDT until the fun went out of it in 1978 when I retired from trials until coming back to it in 2000. A sample of a GAS GAS was enough to convince me that my earlier skills were better used on NO Clutch, superb throttle control and drunken balance...... so it was back to building and selling Ty's and then getting a Cub and now finally a Bullet. So at a youthful 61 2008 has the challenge of 2 AHRMA Championships on the Cub in Lightweight and the Bullet in Heaveyweight.

Best Regards

Tony Down

And the (old in years only...) gentleman may be able to pull it off !!! To bad he lives about 2500 miles away from me , not only entertaining

company , he can steer his old beasts too ... I wish I would have more chances to ride with him . A class act .

Glenn

Big John,

Yes that was me! Of course I was only a Flying Officer on my first SSDT which was 1970, but I did ride and finish 8 x SSDT until the fun went out of it in 1978 when I retired from trials until coming back to it in 2000. A sample of a GAS GAS was enough to convince me that my earlier skills were better used on NO Clutch, superb throttle control and drunken balance...... so it was back to building and selling Ty's and then getting a Cub and now finally a Bullet. So at a youthful 61 2008 has the challenge of 2 AHRMA Championships on the Cub in Lightweight and the Bullet in Heaveyweight.

Best Regards

Tony Down

I thought so! I was only a boy when you first came on the scene!

Best wishes,

Big John - Scotland