04 Pro 300

bigfoot

I got my new gasser 04 300 in time for the weekends TC trial. It wa great and I love it already but I have a couple of questions.

The bike is very difficult to start when warm or hot and not easy when cold. It seems to need priming and then a huge kick to get it started. It actually feels like it's not producing a spark unless the kicking revs are up fairly high. I'm sure I will get better at it but don't think I will ever be able to restart it in a section for instance. Has anyone else found this and sorted it?

It ran fine all day on Sunday but ran with the fan on a lot and boiled over slightly at the end of the first lap. It this normal or what should I be looking for? It could be connected to the starting issue above. (maybe running to lean)

Sadly I can't comment based on experience because mine has yet to arrive, but it might be worth trying a richer pilot. I've found on my previous 280s that a richer pilot is better for me. I also run one richer on the starter jet (choke) and it really helps cold starts.

Other than that, have a look for possible air leaks in places like the intake manifold area, as this will also make them run lean and hot. Might even be worth taking off the flywheel and looking for visual problems with the crank seal. I've seen some (not on Pros, on Hondas in fact) that were installed cocked sideways from the factory and caused air leaks through the seal.

Afew 04's in my centre have suffered from incorrect float hieght and this causes the poor starting when warm. Not sure about the overheating but if you e mail kev hipwell at gas gas uk he will respond amazingly quickly and accurately. :lol:

Thanks Tim

I'm going to work through it myself first before calling on assistance. It's just nice to get some contacts in case I'm still stuck. I think the starting think is just going to take practice. I getting on better now but it takes some kick to getting it going first time.