How Do You Get Grip In Mud?

dabomb

Hi all,did a trial today with a local club,good trial but a lot of the sections were very muddy.i would class myself as a novice rider,but today was a struggle,not that i didnt enjoy it though.One prticular section i fived it four out of five times :lol: .It was just a muddy climb with not much run up,but i just couldnt get any grip.I tried 1st,2nd and then third with a good handfull of throttle without any success.Most of the riders struggled,but some managed it easily.I was stood watching the other riders lines etc,then this bloke flew up on an old TY!!

So,what am i doing wrong,any advice would be good :ph34r:

Hi all,did a trial today with a local club,good trial but a lot of the sections were very muddy.i would class myself as a novice rider,but today was a struggle,not that i didnt enjoy it though.One prticular section i fived it four out of five times :( .It was just a muddy climb with not much run up,but i just couldnt get any grip.I tried 1st,2nd and then third with a good handfull of throttle without any success.Most of the riders struggled,but some managed it easily.I was stood watching the other riders lines etc,then this bloke flew up on an old TY!!

So,what am i doing wrong,any advice would be good :lol:

One thing I have noticed is that the top riders will hold high revs and slip the clutch to get the wheel turning but not spinning. I have videoed Ross Danby ( who is pretty good in the mud it must be said although I'm not biased honest :ph34r: ) and watched it in slow motion and noticed that he combines weight distribution with velvet smooth power delivery. He also places the back wheel in places where he believes it will give him the most traction.

I have found by my own experience that losing grip is partly associated with erratic clutch control combined with incorrect engine revs which for certain gets the back wheel spinning and then game over :( Trying to get as much speed as possible before the climb is what helps me the most. :o

I tend to use higher gears as well - 3rd gear or sometimes 4th

P.s. I'm a novice rider too :o