Police Attitudes To Stolen Bikes

iconic

Not been on here for a while and decided to check out the stolen bike thread, as I thought that trials bikes wouldn't be stolen as often as the MX and enduro bikes...but I'm wrong!

It seems that the police seem to getting a real bad press on here too as regards their reaction to a stolen bike....I have been there too when I had my enduro bike stolen.

Some of the conversations I had with the police after I found out whom stole my bike, where it was being kept, were so laughable, to the point of being just unbelieveable....

" I have just seen my stolen bike"...

"ooh, right thank you sir, we will get someone there this afternoon, goodbye sir"

"ermm...don't you want to know where it is, it may be useful!?!"

Also, when I was looking to buy my Monty I saw two for sale that had the frame and engine numbers ground off, one so fresh it still had clean burrs on the frame....yeah I grassed the guys up, I rung the police, never got a call back though....

The "sir can't put anything 'in-place' as an anti-theft deterent that may cause distress or worse injury" conversation....

This sort of thing really p*sses me off, the only contact I have with the police always seems to be negative....when I get a ticket for speeding, 82 in a 70 was the last.....yeah I think bit tight, but it's a fair cop and they have a job to do, and when I need them I'm sure they will be there for me...but I always feel so let down.... I wouldn't want to their do job but then they wouldn't want my job either I'm sure.

Come, on some one must a good story to tell, it can't be all bad?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been on here for a while and decided to check out the stolen bike thread, as I thought that trials bikes wouldn't be stolen as often as the MX and enduro bikes...but I'm wrong!

It seems that the police seem to getting a real bad press on here too as regards their reaction to a stolen bike....I have been there too when I had my enduro bike stolen.

Some of the conversations I had with the police after I found out whom stole my bike, where it was being kept, were so laughable, to the point of being just unbelieveable....

" I have just seen my stolen bike"...

"ooh, right thank you sir, we will get someone there this afternoon, goodbye sir"

"ermm...don't you want to know where it is, it may be useful!?!"

Also, when I was looking to buy my Monty I saw two for sale that had the frame and engine numbers ground off, one so fresh it still had clean burrs on the frame....yeah I grassed the guys up, I rung the police, never got a call back though....

The "sir can't put anything 'in-place' as an anti-theft deterent that may cause distress or worse injury" conversation....

This sort of thing really p*sses me off, the only contact I have with the police always seems to be negative....when I get a ticket for speeding, 82 in a 70 was the last.....yeah I think bit tight, but it's a fair cop and they have a job to do, and when I need them I'm sure they will be there for me...but I always feel so let down.... I wouldn't want to their do job but then they wouldn't want my job either I'm sure.

Come, on some one must a good story to tell, it can't be all bad?

Yes it can. The Police (in the UK anyway) are worse than useless. Even when we do their job for them by finding out who stole a bike and where it is being kept they dont want to know.

I rang to report a neighbour (VERY wierd guy) who was creeping about taking pictures of children outside our house (and all around the local area, parks even outside the schools) the guy lived next door to me and all i expected them to do was to call in and tell him to stop. I called them twice a night for TWO WEEKS!! they did nothing. Eventually someone from his past (he was a teacher) apparently came forward with stories of abuse from when he was at school. By the time it came to trial there were 3 others who testified against him and he was sent to prison for 3 years (i think).

Left to the police he would still be living next door and photographing my kids.

They're not just incompetant, that would imply that they were incapable of doing the job. They can do the job, they just can't be bothered and that is criminal. ;)

sadly my experience with the police has being all to often and very negative.i went to look at a bike in the local paper did'nt like the look of things tryed hpi and the police,came back as the bike being clear i still was'nt happy,phoned shirtys then supplying dealer and bike turned out to be stolen,never even got a thank you from the police.

had numerous bikes of mine stolen ,but found out where mine was for sale,went to look at it ,was my bike left telling them i'd come back,phoned police who took 4 hours to arrive,in the mean time my bike dissapears,i ended up having to buy it back,police missed my race plate with my number and name on and a one off handle bar pad,turned out that his uncle works at the local police station,i complained to police complaints ,nothing happened.lad who had my bike now races super moto with acu and is notorious for having had bikes in his area,this really p****s me off.i now have a live wire left in the top of the garage as well as another few surprises.

most of my local freinds have lost a bike at somtime and everyone always say that the police don't seem to care less.

Police just want an easy nick so they can meet their stations statistics. If you are a law abiding tax paying, honest citizen they think you are a mug. But if you are a scum bag they are either scared of you & afraid to deal with you (I've seen it happen) or if you are lucky enough to get a good police officer (there are some), the low life judge will give the theif, yob, etc... sympathy & a little telling off or at worst a tiny little sentence. The problem stems from lefty low life politicians who sympathise with all the scum going, making all the excuses for them & paying for their useless existence out of your tax. In parts of Asia if you are caught doing crime you either get get beaten half sensless by the state police or made to dig your own grave, shot & kicked into it; but in Britain you can do your worst, cos the British are led by weak liberal wet politicians & Lawyers & a legal system designed to make money out of the so called justice system. If you defended yourself at home, the criminal gets off & pampered while you are sued because you have money to take, he doesnt (probably-at least none that can be traced). This is a country who thinks its ok to just let off a yob on a train (in national news) whilst the pensioner he violently assaulted loses his sight & is forgotten about, he probably fought & payed tax all his life). He got dissmissed, what hope we got if we lose a bike. You might as well have an anarchy, the police are not allowed to be nasty to scum incase they cry, & the judges must come from the same mould, they love em. I know this aint trials, I'll say no more. My advice weld up a steel case enclosure with a ground anchor inside, inside yor garage, alarm it & if you have acouple of vicious dogs let them stay comfortably in the garage at night, It will work, dont just stick your bike behind an up & over door in the garage, it wont stand a chance. Sorry to hear your unfortunate experience but until we get leadersghip with guts in this country it will get worse.

Well what we need is a good leader, someone who can tell it like it is.

send all the immigrants back and purify the race.

line all the gypsies and homosexuals up and well, you know the rest.

Germany tried this and history gcse will tell you what happened next.

Whilst I have every sympathy with someone who has had his bike stolen and there may well be alot of truth in the police's (in)ability or time to deal with such things please be realistic.

The stretch to anachy in the UK is one giant leap from police apathy on stolen bikes.

Perhaps if you think you can do better then you should joining the police service?

Nigel, lighten up, have you ever heard of irony.? I'm not endorsing oppression of minority groups of any kind at all, so dont be silly now. Neither do I need a history lesson, I am well informed, so no need to educate me. Look dont take what I say out of context, it is blunt, yes but I aint sitting here with posters of Stalin all over the place lol & before we get all silly & upset perhaps we best stick to trials, I didnt mean to offend you.

As a serving cop wth fifteen years service in Greater Manchester Police I'll give you an idea of the disgustingly poor service provided by most forces (or services as some do-gooder would prefer to call us) which is mainly due to government pressures so that statistics can be manipulated to attract the potential voter coupled with a huge amount of beauracratic nonsense which most primary school age children could improve upon.

First of all Iconic if the cops said to you;

quote; ""ooh, right thank you sir, we will get someone there this afternoon, goodbye sir" and they did nowt about it, and that was after you told them you had found your stolen bike, then make a complaint, pm me if you want advice or help and I'll do whatever I can to help and hopefully improve things.

As for getting a ticket for speeding doing 82 in a 70 well as a driver you accept the risks. Although people with regular incomes who commit such traffic offences usually pay the speeding fines and a cynic could say they are easy money for the government.

But then if you have kids and you hear for example that your son or daughter have been injured after being knocked down whilst on a paper round at 7am when the traffic is light (and people tend to speed more) then what would your view be? Around 4,000 people die on our roads each year but the number killed as a result of violent robberies, burglaries and assaults is less than 25% of this so what needs to be addressed?!

As for the "sir can't put anything 'in-place' as an anti-theft deterent that may cause distress or worse injury" conversation.... this is garbage as reasonable force can be used but you cannot be seen to use excessive force. I was a dog handler for six years and my dog bit a fair few people for the right reasons, sadly he once bit an offender who was 28 years old and a big lad (I was glad the dog dragged him out of the bushes rather than me as he was built like an outside toilet!) he admitted the offence and was returned to prison but made a complaint that he had been scarred for life after being bitten and was paid an undisclosed sum to stop him going to court by my force this despite him admitting to the original offence! So in other words we pay the criminals for committing offences, is this world going mad? No as its gone mad.

If you give me credible evidence that you know where a stolen bike is I will act on it but you have to provide good information, and the view that the cops in the UK are worse than useless is unfounded as the problem is not with the cops but the hierarchy. Coupled witn a few very exciteable people who very often cannot support initial allegations> Example, a neighbour who you do not like decides to make up some allegation that he has seen his stolen bike in your garage, we come along and execute a warrant or arrest you and then conduct a search for stolen property (either would be a legal course of action) but we do not find anything, what then?

madcr500 reports that some bloke was taking photo's of kids outside his house but the cops did not do anything despite him phoning them twice a night for two weeks and some bloke made a sexual complaint and the offender was sentenced to three years? I want to know exactly what this complaint is about as I do not believe that cops (most of whom have children and are far more aware of the concerns raised by the presence of weirdo's tthan the general public did about it. As a parent and a cop I do not believe what you are saying and if those things have really happened then pm me and I will help with the justified complaint but you are talking crap pal as if you do have good cause for complaining then 3 yrs would not be qa result at the moment.

I agree his country is on its a***, three days ago a polish bloke was arrested by me and it transpired that he had committed over 30 crimes in his own country before being allowed into Britain where he disappeared, our authorities do no know where he is now just like thousands of others, this country is on its a***, would the last person to leave Britain please turn the lights out.But I'd like someone to leave few quid just in case.

Night folks.

Eiger, just read your post & I have a friend who is a serving police officer. I agree with the points yiou raise. I used an emotive style of writing in my previous first post, using irony to push the point of not only my frustration but of that of others I have spoken to when these kind of topics arise. I do certainly not blame police in the majority for the failings of politicians & courts, I have a good idea of how frustration it is from my mate & from a general interest in current affairs. Yes I do certainly believe in a very tough criminal justice system & my original point was that legislation from central government could change that; but we all know that anyway.

The pressure to change is in the hands of civil servants of various levels & all of us as voters.

Someone got upset because he interperated my posting as the writings of an extremist. I think he thought I am a rightious right wing fanatic, but that is the response of someone who draws a conclusion from a snippet of a post & assumes that I must be an ill educated individual because I chose to use a factual synopsis in blunt terms of how I see the police have been restricted from acting, & more to the point, what a waste of time it often is when they do.

It is political & that is a statement that can be substantiated given a sensible discussion & long enough time; but... a trials forum is not really the best place.

Lastly, because I beleive in punishment as a deterent, (which in my opinion comes before the dream world idea of reform or is that rehabilitation that do gooder wet liberals prefer to use) it does that make me a non tolerent homophobic white supremacist, if you think it does Nigel you are far far less aware than you were attempting to make me look (I am not being confrontational Nigel, just defending what you implied of me).

The point I was making was that if you dont think punishment is a deterent, just take a look around the globe & I think you will find it most certainly is & whats that I pre empt you saying? what about freedom & rights...erm well thats all you here from the person committing say, the afformationed unpleasentries & why you can expect more of the same if you want to sing from the same hym sheet. Freedomdont make me laugh, do you think you have that, Its an abstract word. Give some elements of society too much of it & they abuse it.

So sorry about the serious mood of this post but I had to say it.

Perhaps we should just not talk about it here, after all its a trials forum & if my bike gets nicked or my kids get threatened by some devious low life I'll consider the freedom & rights of all those poor scumbags & appologise to you with lefty views on the CJS about how i must be sounding like a homophobic, racist, zenophobic, meglamaniac, paranoid, psychopath because I want some suitable justice dolled out.