Chipped Fork Tube *cries*

tombo46

Ive done some damage to my RHS fork tube (06 beta 250). rang lampkins up and they said 200 quid + vat for a new one! is there anyone out there that repairs things like this? they arent bent or anything, just chipped.

All the best

Tom

Ive done some damage to my RHS fork tube (06 beta 250). rang lampkins up and they said 200 quid + vat for a new one! is there anyone out there that repairs things like this? they arent bent or anything, just chipped.

All the best

Tom

hi, i damaged a fork stanction before and repaired it. if you file down any high spots on the stanction then use a very fins wet and dry sand paper. clean it all with petrol then warm up the stanction till its hot. mix up some aroldite and put a blob onto the dent, as the fork is hot and dry the aroldite will go very runny. let it cool and dry, then rub down with very fine wet and dry. reasemble onto the bike with the repair facing the rear and hopefully it shouldnt damage the seal........ hope it works for you like it did for me.....

Thanks anyway PA =]

Sound advice Frizzy. did it a few days ago, just as you described, cos me 20 quid for all the bits (inc heat gun) and seems to have worked a treat, riding on sunday so will no for sure how good it is. feels perfectly smooth to the touch so dont think ill have any problems.

Thanks again =]

Tom

what is aroldite?

I've heard of using same process with superglue (cyanoacrylate sp?), or 'JB weld' (a grey two part epoxy/metal type paste).

k

araldite is a two part glue, I rekon superglue would have the same effect, try putting it under heat to see how it reacts. araldite definatly worked for me though, its had about 5 hours use since I did it and its held up fine so far =]

Tom

Don't think superglue will work as it needs moisture to set, the moisture makes up one part of a two part reaction, the other part being the glue. It will take an age to set as it tries to draw moisture from the atomsphere. As it sets it will form a skin, this skin will stop the glue from during the moistrue it needs to continue the setting process. Araldite would be better as the two parts needed for the reaction are mixed before hand.

Edited by boofont