Fully Synthetic Or Semi?

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Looking at manufacturer's technical blurb regarding 2 stroke premix oils, it is difficult to decide on the best product to break in a new engine and then stick with. Oil manufacturers are all happy to state "up to ratios of 50:1" for "racing" products in both synthetic and semi synthetic oils.

I have broken in my new Beta on semi synthetic Silkolene Comp 2 premix - only because that's what was in the tank, but now need to change the mix to 70:1 as per Beta's recommendations.

So, firstly - who makes oil that can safely be used at 70:1 - Silkolene don't refer to such a product on their web site, and secondly Semi or not?

Are engine components really so fussy that either make a difference, or have I fallen into a marketing trap?

Funnily enough we used Castrol XR77 which is a synthetic and never had any bottom end rattles on NYL's old Sherco. We continue to use it as well with no ill effects in the Gas Gas 125.

A year or so ago, this fully vs semi debate was circulating. Several folks offered that they had been told by "Expert X, Y or Z" that trials engines don't turn enough RPM, or endure enough stress, to "need" or "burn" fully synthetic. Despite that, I have only met one person, over the years, that ran semi instead of full synthetic. Regardless of whether the bike was modern or vintage.