Any Troubles?

hop blip and a jump

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the starter on the 4RT,My buddy just called me (NOV 23 07 @6PM) on the phone and he has a 05 4RT that has problems with the starter after a kickback which happened today just after having lunch. So this is what he told me Norm I'm having a little problem with my bike (whats up) when I was starting it it kickback and now I here this buzzing noise (o boy what else) the kick starter is now touching the oil cap ( what !!!) its is returning way past it normal postion. The main thing I'm worried about is that it it stuck ingaged and it its buzzing.

It still works fine , you can crank it over with the starter and starts fine runs good but it buzzes. So can anyone give us there help. Thanks

OH NOOOOO you Dalesman riders are always picking on the Montesas!

he he he

Thanks to this thread you may be able to tell him to replace a sheared off bolt and be done with a $2 repair. Hope that's the case. Then he can ferociously defend his brand and make us all smile.

I was asking about Woody Hole because he borrowed my bike in '92 at the US world round/TDN and I wanted to give him "mad props". While the Italian minder who borrowed my buddy's bike abused it terribly, we have a video of him throwing it down a waterfall, Woody returned my bike washed, lubed and obviously pampered. Even better was in the Duke video for the event on which he did the commentary he said, "The bike I had to ride was, quite nice to say the least." That made my day.

Oh yeah the OP first sentence seems a pretty general question about four strokes. Looks like a good fit for this forum.

Dan

Edited by Dan Williams

About the starter on the 4RT,My buddy just called me (NOV 23 07 @6PM) on the phone and he has a 05 4RT that has problems with the starter after a kickback which happened today just after having lunch. So this is what he told me Norm I'm having a little problem with my bike (whats up) when I was starting it it kickback and now I here this buzzing noise (o boy what else) the kick starter is now touching the oil cap ( what !!!) its is returning way past it normal postion. The main thing I'm worried about is that it it stuck ingaged and it its buzzing.

It still works fine , you can crank it over with the starter and starts fine runs good but it buzzes. So can anyone give us there help. Thanks

From what he's described, it sounds like (note sounds like - I'm not saying is) the problem I had. If the head of the bolt has sheared off or worse, the bolt has ripped out of its housing (like mine), then the kickstart stop plate is no longer held in place. It is L shaped so if you imagine it as a leg and a foot, where the ankle would be is where the locating bolt goes and where the toes are is a locating peg that a hole in the stopper fits over. So if the bolt is no longer in place, the stop plate floats free, which could be why the kickstart has gone too far forward. The kickstart mechanism will still work but if the only damage is the head of the bolt shearing off, there is the risk of further damage by continuing to use it. The kickstart ratchet will just use the crankcase as a stop and that is when things can get expensive as it will gradually smash it away.

Best get that clutch cover off quick and have a look

is it true you have start it, then go and have a cup of tea while it warms up, cos you cant ride them when cold?

Which bike...???

4RT no, you can ride them virtually straight off a cold start up.

Scorpa 4T takes some warming up for whatever reason (I've tried 2 and both the same) Don't know why as the YZ250F I was using in enduros warmed up very quickly

Well The Dalesman was my first bike which i still have, but i'm on the same team as the rest of the monte's . I'm the one that convinced my buddy to buy the 4RT becouse I love mine so much.

here is the word on his bike He pulled the side cover off and found the casting cracked and still intacked the bolt was ok,mybe bend I don't Know yet, now for the buzzing part the hole thing is bent foreward and is rubbing on a gear.

So today i'm driving out to his place (2Hour Drive) and hold his hand LOL and let him ride my bike for the day as i'll ride my old dalesman.

hey this bolt it's a stop right now mybe just take it out and then the starter can stop on the out side casing just a Idea?

I'll post when i get back seeya

Which bike...???

4RT no, you can ride them virtually straight off a cold start up.

Scorpa 4T takes some warming up for whatever reason (I've tried 2 and both the same) Don't know why as the YZ250F I was using in enduros warmed up very quickly

From what I've heard the Beta's are rather cold blooded and like a nice warm up. My friends '07 200 Scorpa liked a little warm up time too but what a lovely little bike that is. I got off my 270 Rev3 and putted around on the Scorpa and felt right at home. Could be an EFI vs carb thing.

From what I've heard the Beta's are rather cold blooded...

Not at all. At least in comparison to the Scorpa. I have owned both the SY175F and SY250F, both of which were VERY cold blooded. When starting, you would have to hold the handlebar mounted choke lever open for many minutes, and then SLOWLY start easing off on it, a little at a time, over several more minutes, until finally returning to the normal position. Bad part was that you had to be with the bike, interacting with the choke lever, the whole time. And all of that was just to get them to settle down to an idle. They still were not ready to ride.

My 08 Beta Rev 4-T is at the opposite end of the spectrum. You pull out the choke knob, start the bike, and then it immediatly wants to be off choke. There are two detent positions, on the choke. If you click it in one notch, it will warm up for a moment before wanting to be totally off choke. If you instead stay with the bike 30 seconds, to a minute, letting it warm, then it is happy to be taken off choke completely. It will then sit and idle by itself, warming up, while you gather your riding gear.

Several of my riding buddies have Montesa 4RT. And while the fuel injection does let them start up and settle to an idle very easy, none of them like to be ridden cold, any more than the Beta or Scorpa. Besides, ALL 4-Strokes should be allowed to warm up well, and get the oil moving, before being ridden. The ability to "ride them virtually straight off a cold start up" would not be a good thing, even if possible.

Edited by DGShannon

The ability to "ride them virtually straight off a cold start up" would not be a good thing, even if possible.

Just to qualify - I didn't mean point it up the nearest hillclimb and wind it onto full throttle. My 4RT could be put into gear and ridden straight away, gently, to get the oil circulating properly, just the same as letting it idle would. The Scorpa 4T I tried (250F) wouldn't do that, they would just die, needed to be warmed up in the manner you stated - way too long in my opinion.

No 4 stroke MX/Enduro bike I've had has ever needed so much time to warm up, they could all be ridden away a few seconds after starting them, as can my C15 trials bike, so it's nothing to do with carb vs. FI.

Edited by Woody