Trying To Make A Choice

frontroomautos

Hello All, I know that this question is somewhat subjective but I am hoping for some objective feedback. For obvious reasons I have posted here & not in either of the forums of either of the bikes I am looking for feedback on.

Basically, I am in for a new bike in the new year & have promised to update my old one by end Jan or Feb. Thats a long time to go, yes, but I have been stuck with this dilema in my head for months now & can not reach a conclusion despite having a go on each bike. I can not make my mind up on either the Scorpa or the Beta (250 2T's), so I am seeking from owners of both points of view or good & bad experiences of their bikes, which I am hoping will help me decide. I know some will just say, well its up to you or its a personal individual decision but I am hoping that feedback on different things like performance, ease of maintainance, availability of parts & reliability & quality of build will finally sway me into a decision. It will be interesting to here your replies even though I do realise it's probably all been asked before. I have considered 4 stroke but have been put of by the cost of rebuilding them, is this a bit of a myth about cost when it comes to a 4T? cheers in advance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All, I know that this question is somewhat subjective but I am hoping for some objective feedback. For obvious reasons I have posted here & not in either of the forums of either of the bikes I am looking for feedback on.

Basically, I am in for a new bike in the new year & have promised to update my old one by end Jan or Feb. Thats a long time to go, yes, but I have been stuck with this dilema in my head for months now & can not reach a conclusion despite having a go on each bike. I can not make my mind up on either the Scorpa or the Beta (250 2T's), so I am seeking from owners of both points of view or good & bad experiences of their bikes, which I am hoping will help me decide. I know some will just say, well its up to you or its a personal individual decision but I am hoping that feedback on different things like performance, ease of maintainance, availability of parts & reliability & quality of build will finally sway me into a decision. It will be interesting to here your replies even though I do realise it's probably all been asked before. I have considered 4 stroke but have been put of by the cost of rebuilding them, is this a bit of a myth about cost when it comes to a 4T? cheers in advance.

Frontroom

Purely from a personal point I would go for the Beta.

I bought an 03 Scorpa in late 03 and couldnt get on with it. Sold it Feb 04. Rode a Mont for a while and then just to make sure I bought an 04 Scorpa mid 05. Still couldnt quite get on with it but percivered for far too long. An injury to my right kneee wouldnt heal because of the long scorpa kickstart. So I swapped it for a 200 REV3.

That was the best thing I ever did. Results and enjoyment factor improved immediately. The only bike I would sell my Beta for now would be another REV3.

As you will guess from my user name I like Scorpas but I've had all sorts over the years.

After owning new Beta Techno's from '95 to '99, then a Sherco, a Gas Gas and a Scorpa. I bought a new 2004 Beta Rev3 and loved the way it handled. The mechanical build quality was spot on and it rode really well. After the Stator packed in twice, I chopped it in for another new Scorpa.

The Scorpa is heavier, doesn't cope with trick riding quite as well (not that I can do it very much) and is tricky to work on.

That said I prefer the Scorpa as it flatters my limited riding ability, especially in mud.

The build quality is equal to the Beta and they are not prone to stator porblems. (Apparently now cured on all later Beta's anyway.)

One other point, I never did quite get used to kick starting on the left hand side, but that's down to me being a funny old sod I expect :banana2:

So far great input, yes Scorpa 3 I know what you mean about the left hand kicker, I am used to right hand side but I suppose you get used to that. I like the Scorpas build quality & its finnish , it looks more robust but I don't know if it is any tougher, but I think I prefer the Betas styling. Christoff, how does the Beta 200 compare to the 250? is it allot more vibey& revy, I like the idea of the 270 for its smooth torquey motor but I'm not sure its necesary for me.

The lad had an '04 Rev3 200 when I had my 250 and I can honestly say that it would do 100% of the sections that I was ever faced with, even with me on it. In fact it would sometimes find grip where the 250 just would not.

Ok, it might hold you back a little if you rode experts and in events with big steps, but most of the time the 200 would actually be an advantage.

Plus, the lads 200 never ever went wrong, where as my 250 let me down three times in five trials (two stators and a broken kick start .. both common faults in 2004)

If you are in the Midlands, you are more than welcome to come and have a go on my Scorpa one weekend for an hour or two to see what you think. I'm afraid the lad sold his Beta to buy a mountain bike..... kids ehh?

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones
so I am seeking from owners of both points of view or good & bad experiences of their bikes, which I am hoping will help me decide.

So far my rev 3 has been brilliant - tales of the curburettor problem seem to be unfounded on the 08 - mine has spent a lot of time laid on it's side, never leaks fuel, and restarts first kick every time. It runs perfectly, and too date I've done nothing other than clean the air filter and to change the oil and spark plug regularly. I havn't seen the need to mess with the carb at all, as it runs so well. I have noted here before that the chain is a bit on the tight side - but that's easily dealt with, and I'm currently adjusting the rear spring setting for my weight, but the forks, brakes etc are 100%. As for mods, I'm getting a bolt on plate to protect the rear brake linkage from my big feet, mud guard raisers and a decent set of footpegs. Although it's my first trials bike for many, many years, I have to say the power, build quality and fun factor of the Beta are so much better than I'd anticipated. I expect that all of the other manufacturers have similar merits too, so just try a few and :banana2: have a great time.........

Thanks for the offer Scorpa 3, I would take you up on it gratefully but I am in the South East. The Scorpa has a Yam Engine so I know I can trust its reliability & build quality. Its looking good for the Scorpa on that count. The 08 Beta sounds very nice too but I should hope that an 08 bike has'nt needed to be pulled apart yet. I expect to ride a new bike for some time with nothing more than routine maintainance to do; thats the only thing which puts me off Beta, I hear people getting a new bike or newish bike and having to pull carbs off and mod them , buy stators or fan motors etc.. and that makes me think that they aint up to the standard of the Jap built stuff. I have been told bysomeone that they have been known to have clutch niggles: you dont need all that when you buy a new bike. I've heard nothing like this about Scorpas, even if they dont look as nice, but then the 08 bike looks very nice in detail.

Thanks and keep the comments comming. I'll pick up on this again tomorrow. Cheers

Ive had 4 Beta Rev3 and never had issues with them other than carb set up. You can throw drop do what you want to a Beta and they take a good beating and still look ok. My friend swapped his Beta for a Scorpa and it was flimsy compared to the Beta. It once fell over on the stand and the gear selector went thorough the fly wheel case which looked to be 1mm thick, also the tank was easy to mark making it look tatty, then a fellow rider holed his tank on a rock at

Edited by smalley250

Yes, the Scopra does have isssues too. As I mentioned earlier, they are harder to work on. Getting the carb off in the middle of a trial would give you a head ache for certain.

They are also prone to splitting the centre cilencer/collector box. Mine split when it was just two years old, however I paid a welder

It appears all makes have their strong & weaker points, as they both appear tough engines I suppose I should really go with which feels better to ride. I have had a little go on both some time ago now at a practice woods near me but not back to back & so it is hard to compare like that, also they were older bikes & this was a couple of years ago now so it's not really something to go by. My heart says Beta & my head only says Scorpa because of what I have heard regarding build quality, but then if what smalley250 said is a characteristic I suppose that blows that theory away; I do agree with what you say about the fuel tank looking tatty from my observations (I prefer the Beta design).

I had an 02 SY250 and.................

Reliability was very good only 1 carb problem in a year

Engine always felt a bit agricultural.............a fair bit of vibration and big and numb

Clutch was always a bit on and off but you could easily ride it using the motors smootness at low revs

Gear ratios across the moors were painfull with that big jump to 5th

The rear suspension was OK in sections but eihter too harsh or too bouncy over the moors.... I now suspect my shock was not quite right as others seem happy with thier bikes!

Ive never had a Beta but after a year on a Scorpa I am hesitant about changing from GasGas again! I like working on bikes!!! :banana2:

My facilities in the way of space are limited for working on bikes so when I have to its (well, look at my username lol); so I wont be buying GasGas lol. Fetling is as far as I like to go but engine work No, I like reliability. My garage has no electric or comforts you see & its detatched from my house, the frontroom is the garage but it aint as terrible as it all sounds.

You can't go wrong with either bike. Both are built well and both have issues. I've had both and they are both difficult to work on. Scorpa seems easier with the removable sub frame and gas tank. If you want an easy bike to work on, the Sherco was a dream, BUT, thats another can of worms. Yes, the shifter into and through the case has happened to me. I currently ride the Scorpa and love it. Also like the Beta. Two additional deciding factors... the exhaust, Scorpa is tucked in much better and less prone to damage (anyone want to comment on this?) and plastics, the Scorpas can be bent in half and not break, I know, I've done it several times!! Whereas the Beta, especially the front, breaks even from doing bigger drops.

Thanks, I'll let time pass up to the purchasing day & let my heart do the deciding if I cant make a logical decison before then. I like the Beta's styling which is a bit shallow but I think from what I've heard it can be the only deciding factor now, since both have issues of different kinds but both are buiilt to a similar standard in different ways. Are the engines equally as dependable though?