Trials In The United Arab Emirates.

cota kid

• 11 months later...

After being here nearly a year I'm pleased to say that there is small bunch of trials riders out here, possibly only 8 but its a start and come the new year I will be looking to get my bike shipped out. The scope for riding here is amazing, the mountains and wadi's around Hatta being a perfect trials playground and what makes thing even better is you can pretty much go where you want to.

At the moment I am having a great time getting out into the desert on my KTM enduro. The off road scene is big out here for mx and enduro bikes, which can be found in abundance filling up at the various gas stations. The only restriction you have is the range of the bike. People tend to ride out to a gas station fill up and ride back, setting off early morning to avoid the mid day sun, which is still very strong even in December.

However the desert is a dangerous environment, you would never venture out there alone. A GPS and a 3 litre camel bak and a mobile phone are essential.

After being here nearly a year I'm pleased to say that there is small bunch of trials riders out here, possibly only 8 but its a start and come the new year I will be looking to get my bike shipped out. The scope for riding here is amazing, the mountains and wadi's around Hatta being a perfect trials playground and what makes thing even better is you can pretty much go where you want to.

At the moment I am having a great time getting out into the desert on my KTM enduro. The off road scene is big out here for mx and enduro bikes, which can be found in abundance filling up at the various gas stations. The only restriction you have is the range of the bike. People tend to ride out to a gas station fill up and ride back, setting off early morning to avoid the mid day sun, which is still very strong even in December.

However the desert is a dangerous environment, you would never venture out there alone. A GPS and a 3 litre camel bak and a mobile phone are essential.

Rubbish. Middlesborough or desert I know what scares me.

• 2 months later...

With the credit crunch and the current uncertainty regarding work I have decided against shipping the 4RT out here for the time been. However, the good news is tomorrow Saturday I am borrowing a Beta and I'm off out to Hatta for a play in the mountains. The terrain there looks awesome and no one complains.... :(

Edited by Cota Kid

We after over a year I eventually managed to get out on a trials bike, although technically we had crossed the border and were riding in the neighbouring country of Oman and not UAE. However there were not border posts out in the mountains and so a passport has not needed.

I was accompanied by Colin, more use to racing KTM quads and Chris, who has pretty much done most things on 2 wheels, except trials, his claim to fame is he has competed and finished the UAE Desert Challenge in every class, car, bike, quad, which he won and even truck. Chris had kindly lent me a Beta Rev 3 for the day.

So Camel Baks ready, an essential bit of kit we set off. The mountainous terrain was a mixture of rocky climbs and dry wadis, river beds. The real beauty was the chance to ride unrestricted wherever you wanted. A truly great piece of land that would cater for all abilites of rider. However even in February the temperature was 37 oC and so you tend to ride early and finish before noon to avoid the real mid day heat.

So after a good few hours on the bikes and no real dramas it was time to head off back to the comfort of the air conditioned pick up and set off back to Dubai. Hot and dusty, arms aching but above all content and looking forward to my next excursion.

Edited by Cota Kid

Sounds like pure heaven you lucky boy!

Remind me - are you allowed alchohol there and are the local girls pretty?

If the answer is Yes to both of those then guess who's saving up! :D

Remind me - are you allowed alchohol there and are the local girls pretty?

Even alcohol used in FUELS is outlawed by some of the crazy Imams, as Mohammad prohibited alcohol (google it....I'm not making this up.)

Speaking of the credit crunch, the Qur'an doesn't even allow INTEREST (google it), so alcohol is likely not allowed either.

And to answer the other part of your question, you can forget about finding love with the local women since "the greatest man of all time" (and often the local medieval laws) won't even allow us Infidels to marry Muslim women. No, I'm not making this up. See Qur'an 2:221 if you don't believe me. http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/en...an/002.qmt.html

Riding in the desert would be a great experience, however. We got snowed-out at a recent trial...not a problem in the UAE!....or we usually get "liquid sunshine."

Edited by Funtrials

Most Hotels have bars and alcohol can be purchased from certain shops if you have a licence. Plenty of beautiful women off all nationalities.

And only a few weeks ago it snowed in the mountains in the Emirate of Ras Al Kaimah.