First Trials Event

boner

I'm taking my 7 year old lad to his (and my) first trials event on the 31st.

We've been to watch a few over the last year - but this is the first time that we are taking part. :madnoel:

I'd like a few pointers as to what I need to take along (other than the bike and rider) so that this first event goes as smoothly as possible for my son, which will no doubt revlove around me being sorted - and having everything I need to make it a pleasant first time out for the both of us.

ANY suggestions, as to what to take would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - matt.

Well beside the normal riding gear, We carry Waterproof's, Spare clothesand shoes to change into after the trial, Food usually chocolate, nutri grain bars, crisps and energy sweets. Drinks see what he likes We carry a Red bull like drink, 4 Powerade's and 2 litres of water. We also have some wipes and latex gloves. Don't forget you'll need a decent jacket, boots and waterproof's yourself.

Then for the bike, Spare fuel already mixed, Chain oil, WD-40 a mix of spanners, screwdrivers, hex spanners etc. Spare plug or two some ty-wraps and gaffer tape. Any thing else you'll pick up as you go. Which trials are you attending??

Telecat, thanks for that - couple of bits I wouldn't have thought about there...

We're off to the last Blackmore Vale Club competition.

I'm not expecting my boy to ride it all - just want to take him along and let him have a ride around, and see if he wants to try any of the simpler courses and get used to the event as a whole.

Thanks for the reply.

cheers - Matt.

Spare tube or tubes and flat repair outfit and the Pump! A few bandaids and a large helping of encouragement.

He will be nervous, he will be trying to impress you. Unless he is a budding world champ trials is experience and a learning curve. Don't try and clean everything, but do try and get through everything the differences between the 3's and 5's very quickly mount up. Relive the trial on the way home if he is in the mood ....... and a ton of praise for effort!

Have fun, a lot of it.

Tony

Boner

Good advice fom everyone here.

But very importantly staycool!! it is highly possible that your lad will for what ever reason fail stuff he would breeze through in practise and it is very easy to get frustrated for him /at him before you realise whats happening!!!

Dont worry because this effects all riders at times right up to British Championship level. I know this from several years of being a trials Dad and I think most experienced Dads would agree.

Keeping the lad in a good frame of mind is more important than some people realise so leave saying things that may cause an argument or upset him are best left for practice sessions. Even after several years I find this easier to say than do!!

Any way Hope you have fun and letus know how you get on

Thanks for all the input guys.

Just want to make sure that I have everything I need for the day, so that I don't get stressed before we get started - and that I have what I need if things go tits up!!!

My boy's quite a confident rider, but it's a new bike to him.

Whilst I intend to enter him for the competition, i don't want him to feel under pressure to "compete".

Having never ridden an event myself - is it OK for him to skip sections if he/we think they're too difficult - and perhaps ride other sections a few more times if he enjoys them?

Obviously i don't want us to get in the way of other competitors, or anoy anyone... do you think this will be OK?

cheers - matt.

at the end of the trial turn your number around and just go round the sections and practice, try all the sections though, you will be pleased with your self if you do, or atleast try to get your son to do most of them, you can stand in key spots to catch him if you think some areas are abit nasty. have a good day!!

also don;t forget money, for entry and club member ship.

dont make him do anything he does not like.its ok to talk to observer if lad dont like section ask if ok to miss and come back later and look again at section.when he gets round section even if easy lots of praise,if fails tell him its ok.and have a giggle together about falling of.dont moan at him.

Try and get there nice an early, at least an hour before the event is due to start.

Get signed on (easiest route)

Then while it's not too busy go and have a look at some of the sections on foot.

When the trial starts it can get a bit chaotic in the first few sections with everyone trying to look at them, so a little look in advance while it's still quiet will give both of you the chance see what you've let yourselves in for. When the trial starts he may not want his dad fussing about with him, while all the other young lads are in there on thier own, so a bit of advanced teamwork can help you both.

Back to the bike, fill it with fuel and let the back tyre down to between 1 & 2psi. Rucksack on with previously mentioned essentials and go and enjoy.

You're off on a fantastic journey, enjoy every minute.

Back to the bike, fill it with fuel and let the back tyre down to between 1 & 2psi. Rucksack on with previously mentioned essentials and go and enjoy.

You're off on a fantastic journey, enjoy every minute.

At last!! I see many young lads with tyres that look over inflated and have often wondered if they should be let right down!!!

So it's 1-2psi in the back - what should be in the front on a TXT50?

Do the bikes have to go through scruteneering before the event?

Thanks for all the comments guys, there's loads here that simply wouldn't have occured to me until it was too late.

Have made a huge list - and ticking items off one by one!

Cheers - Matt.