Dead Rev3?

revfinn

Hope someone can help, new to this trials thing, but already enjoying it!

Problem is that my 2004 model 270 died on me today after falling off.

I tried to start it but no joy, after lots of kicking, i took the plug out , yep very wet. I carried out this routine several times (and i mean serveral times!) , i was getting a spark , so why shouldnt it start?

Finally it did start but coughed and splutterd and banged and shot fire out of the exhaust! It then died again.

When i got home i took out the plug, but couldnt get it to spark, have i done some serious damage? :kerstsmiley:

Any help very much appreciated, i'm off for a beer now and a then lie down :madnoel:

Hoped you might answer!

It was sparking before the fir breathing bit, but it isnt sparking now, how can i check the strator plate?

not to sure?

first i would try a new plug

my machanic should be along soon with some words of wisdom,

not to sure?

first i would try a new plug

my machanic should be along soon with some words of wisdom,

Easiest way would be a tester to see if its got power from the stator,

if it has it could be the cdi, the 04 was notorious for staters though,

but then again my 07 had flames out of the backbox, managed to get it

home and put a new plug in it and it was fine.

The first stator which went on my new '04 Rev3 just stopped working without any warning, the (free) replacement one lasted five trials before it began to misfire, loose power then eventually stopped - mid trial.

My lad also had an '04 200 which ran for three years no problems at all, but 200's have different stators/cdi's to the 250 and 270's.

Check the simple things first.

Kill switch didn't get gronked. The Beta kill switch is notoriously bad any way. Should be replaced with a Yamaha switch.

Carb didn't get knocked of the mounting.

New plug.

Throttle cable isn't pulled.

Spark plug cap screwed on tight and on the plug correctly.

Ignition wiring didn't get pinched in fall.

Cylinder full of fuel. Seen it, done it , got the burned tee shirt.

Note I wrote to self after Bultaco fire. Don't kick it over looking for spark with the plug out is you suspect there is fuel in the cylinder. Fortunately nephew had extinguisher handy.

A fall shouldn't break the electrics unless wire is pinched or the flywheel key is sheared off in which case it was a crash you wouldn't be too anxious to ride after anyway.

Just took the flywheel cover off and the flywheel nut was just about off! Sheered the woodruffe key, got both bits of the key out, hope its as simple as putting a new key in!

Havent had the bike long, only been out on the bike 4 or 5 times, think i better check it over a bit more closely before i take it out again!

Thanks for your help

whilst its off, still enquire about replacement stator from lapkins. also make sure your shaft and the collar on flywheel arent scored up, as these lock on the taper the more mint they are, the better they last, if its been wobbling about it could have been marked, so clean both faces (flywheel and shaft) apply small amount of valve grinding paste available from any motor factors (fine not course) and work flywheel back and forth with no key in, do this until there is a matt grey finish evenly in both surfaces, thouroughly clean with brake cleaner, insert new key, clean up bolt with wire brush apply medium loctite, install flywheel, nip up nut with windy gun, pop cover back on, open can of lager, drink can of lager, deep breath, fire bike up and annoy neighbours

Hoaky smokes Bulwinkle! Sounds like somebody had the flywheel off before you and didn't torque it back on properly. Glad you found it though. There was some discussion on here a while back about tightening the flywheel nut and that it should be done with a proper holding tool or an air wrench. Trying to tighten it holding the back wheel won't hold for very long.

There was a previous thread on the subject here. Curiously enough also on a 2004. Hmmm.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....c=15982&hl=