Chains

ronoc88

I`ve had a regina on for a year now,its stretched so much that i had to buy the o/size chain adjusters.But,that said,its to expected because its the cheapest chain.Its still on my bike but i am going to try a renthal this time.

Before that i used an iris with no problems.

Doesn`t Dougie and Adam Raga use iris??? :shutup::o

http://www.dirtbikebook.com/acatalog/Brows...Chains_165.html

Yep,thought i`d read that somewhere.Cant be that crap then!!

Edited by dabomb

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been researching chains for my GG TXT 250 Pro, having just made my debut returning to the sport after 22 years(!) and decided I want the'proper' 520 trials chain from Regina (being approx. 250g lighter than an R1 or equivalent Regina RX3). This is where the problems start. It seems that all UK suppliers are being provided with Regina 'trials chain' with 'gold side plates' (EBORO), that is actually the most basic 520 chain primarily designed for road bikes up to 250cc, and according to Regina's own website suitable for trials bikes up to 125cc! Look on the trials tab here: http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/range.shtml The 'proper' (EBXL) chain which is recomended up to 350cc trial can be seen here: http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/pro...fessional.shtml This is not presently imported into the UK by anyone (I know, I asked Regina after wasting my time with a lot of suppliers trying to chase one down). The EBXL will be OEM on some bikes.

Sorry for rambling, but the point of this story is that we in the trials community can get the 'proper' Regina chain imported (I am not saying it's the only make out there, but having researched it, it's the one I want to try). This could help those of us that want less unsprung weight (a lot of the chains weight is on the back wheel while riding) helping to improve suspension performance (the rear wheel and other 'unsprung' weight has less inertia and therefore can move up to absorb bumps more easily and perhaps more importantly the spring can push the whell back down a bit quicker to regain contact with the all importnat grippy bits!! (Yes, I know the damper also controls that rate, but if you have a heavier chain than standard you need to consider your damper settings with that in mind). I'm not trashing the idea of a heavier or even o-ring or x-ring chains altogether. It's down to personal choice, what suits you and what you want to use it for.

So, here is a question. How many people out there would go for the the 'proper' chain like the EBXL if given the choice? I would think there would be a premium in price over the motocross chains (eg R1, Regina RX3 etc) that seem popular though. The EBXL uses similar materials for the pin for the aforementioned chains. I do not know about the rollers. The weight saving appears to be in the use of thinner side plates made of higher grade (alloy) steel allowing it to take more stress within it's smaller cross section (- Sorry, I'm a mechanical engineer if you didn't work that out already!) I'll look forward to seeing what opinions are out there....

Cheers,

Mark

Hi, I've been researching chains for my GG TXT 250 Pro, having just made my debut returning to the sport after 22 years(!) and decided I want the'proper' 520 trials chain from Regina (being approx. 250g lighter than an R1 or equivalent Regina RX3). This is where the problems start. It seems that all UK suppliers are being provided with Regina 'trials chain' with 'gold side plates' (EBORO), that is actually the most basic 520 chain primarily designed for road bikes up to 250cc, and according to Regina's own website suitable for trials bikes up to 125cc! Look on the trials tab here: http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/range.shtml The 'proper' (EBXL) chain which is recomended up to 350cc trial can be seen here: http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/pro...fessional.shtml This is not presently imported into the UK by anyone (I know, I asked Regina after wasting my time with a lot of suppliers trying to chase one down). The EBXL will be OEM on some bikes.

Sorry for rambling, but the point of this story is that we in the trials community can get the 'proper' Regina chain imported (I am not saying it's the only make out there, but having researched it, it's the one I want to try). This could help those of us that want less unsprung weight (a lot of the chains weight is on the back wheel while riding) helping to improve suspension performance (the rear wheel and other 'unsprung' weight has less inertia and therefore can move up to absorb bumps more easily and perhaps more importantly the spring can push the whell back down a bit quicker to regain contact with the all importnat grippy bits!! (Yes, I know the damper also controls that rate, but if you have a heavier chain than standard you need to consider your damper settings with that in mind). I'm not trashing the idea of a heavier or even o-ring or x-ring chains altogether. It's down to personal choice, what suits you and what you want to use it for.

So, here is a question. How many people out there would go for the the 'proper' chain like the EBXL if given the choice? I would think there would be a premium in price over the motocross chains (eg R1, Regina RX3 etc) that seem popular though. The EBXL uses similar materials for the pin for the aforementioned chains. I do not know about the rollers. The weight saving appears to be in the use of thinner side plates made of higher grade (alloy) steel allowing it to take more stress within it's smaller cross section (- Sorry, I'm a mechanical engineer if you didn't work that out already!) I'll look forward to seeing what opinions are out there....

Cheers,

Mark

The Regina EBXL is definately not the cheapest chain. As Mark stated it is a trials specific chain, lighter and stronger and they may use them on the Monts as well.

Funny thing as I did a bit of lookup on this as well a while back. Seems there WAS a US importer several years ago but that has gone, unless you want to get the OEM part number at a premium price, not sure what that would be?

I figure I can get two years out of one using nothing but the WD40! Cannot complain! :rotfl:

• 10 months later...

Hi All,

Has anyone got an update on this?

I've recently purchased two 520 135 EBXL chains from a supplier here in Australia. But I had to take one back because he was unable to supply any Half Links for these chains.

The importer, say they will import these Links if we can give them a part number for the Half Link....Does anyone know what this part number is?

I've check both my two 2006 Sherco Trials Bikes last night. And both have Regina chains (one with a Half Links) so I now know that Regina supply these to Sherco.

And both Chains have a plate thickness (1.6mm) which is unique to the 135 EBXL.

Any information would be appreciated?

Best of balance.

Neo

I wouldnt use an Iris if someone was giving me them free every ride, saw plenty of big offs a while back from bust Iris's. I remember the Surgeon making at 20 foot climb topped by a 4 foot rock step and the Iris snapping at the top, crash was terrible, cut arm and he even dropped his Foie Gras on the way down it was that bad.

Edited by The Addict

I wouldnt use an Iris if someone was giving me them free every ride, saw plenty of big offs a while back from bust Iris's. I remember the Surgeon making at 20 foot climb topped by a 4 foot rock step and the Iris snapping at the top, crash was terrible, cut arm and he even dropped his Foie Gras on the way down it was that bad.

Thank god I had some 420 Volcanic to clean up with. :thumbup:

Just to clarify....the 520 135 EBXL is a Regina, not an IRIS....sorry about any confusion caused.

So all Regina experts come forth :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo

Hi All,

Has anyone got an update on this?

I've recently purchased two 520 135 EBXL chains from a supplier here in Australia. But I had to take one back because he was unable to supply any Half Links for these chains.

The importer, say they will import these Links if we can give them a part number for the Half Link....Does anyone know what this part number is?

I've check both my two 2006 Sherco Trials Bikes last night. And both have Regina chains (one with a Half Links) so I now know that Regina supply these to Sherco.

And both Chains have a plate thickness (1.6mm) which is unique to the 135 EBXL.

Any information would be appreciated?

Best of balance.

Neo

I don't mess with half links any more. I use the large snail cams from trialcast that allow you to go back far enough to take a full link out of the chain.

Did mine last week in fact.

Just to clarify....the 520 135 EBXL is a Regina, not an IRIS....sorry about any confusion caused.

So all Regina experts come forth :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo

Yes, they were listid in the Regina website last I checked, yet I cannot yet find them other than the Sherco part number, and those do seem pricey!

Neo, my '07 did not have the half link, yet started out near half on the adjusters.

I changed to the slightly larger Jitsie snailcams just after, and they are still only halfway after two years of my use, although this year has seen light usage. They still seem to work well.

I wonder if the Monts are still on them, and at what price?