50 Cadet Oil In Exhaust

lew

Hi

My little un has got a new 50 cadet, he rode it today only for a short time and oil seems to be running from the joint of the silencer to the exhaust, onto the swing arm and onto the floor. Has anybody come across this before, is this a feature of this bike when new? could it be assembly oil or storage oil as there is little smoke.

Will pull exhaust off tomorrow and see if it is coming from the cylinder, but had to ask in case this is normal and will stop through use.

Any advise gratfully recieved

regards

Simon

Don't know if we can relate this to the Beta Rev50 as they're totally different machines but my lads bike did it for its entire life. I ran it on 80:1 same as my Sherco 290 and it used to flow out of the silencer/exhaust during the week. Worrying at first, but got used to it.

My only concern was that if oil was leaking out then maybe the join wasn't quite as airtight as it could be. I did consider drilling a hole in the bottom corner and welding a nut on with a drain screw through it, but never got round to it. Never seemed to do any harm anyway.

So I suppose if you don't get any Gasser specific answers it give you an idea at least that it seems fairly normal.

Edited by bikespace

Hi

My little un has got a new 50 cadet, he rode it today only for a short time and oil seems to be running from the joint of the silencer to the exhaust, onto the swing arm and onto the floor. Has anybody come across this before, is this a feature of this bike when new? could it be assembly oil or storage oil as there is little smoke.

Will pull exhaust off tomorrow and see if it is coming from the cylinder, but had to ask in case this is normal and will stop through use.

Any advise gratfully recieved

regards

Simon

Simon,

I'm not quite sure as to the "appropriate" premix ratio for a 50 as I checked my files on the GG 50's and, for instance, the 06' TXT Boy50 model owner's manual recommends a "1.5%" ratio, yet the 08' Cadet50 owner's manual recommends a "2.5%" ratio. I know that, generally speaking, the smaller the engine in the higher RPM sports, the more oil is needed (up to a point) in the premix for adequate lubrication as they can run hotter and have localized "hot spots". So 80:1 is a lean mixture for the 50, but I know a lot of riders who run that in their kid's 50's without any problems. As the engine is new, you might want to error on the side of being a little rich and after some ring break-in time the oiling problem might be reduced and I'd re-seal the exhaust joint with some hi-temp Silicone sealer in the meantime.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

My boy's got an 80 Rookie, this too drips oil from the bottom of the silencer onto the swing arm.

I think this is because he doesn't give it a big handfull of throttle, he potters around only using 3/4 revs thus it never gets blown

through just collects in the silencer, every now again I get on it and it burns blue smoke for about 5 mins then clears.

Nick.

Yep, agree with the above. My lads Gaser likes to spray oil too.

Have tried all sorts of ratios, currently running a 60:1.

To be honest the problem seems worst when he's pottering around in the back yard, but when the bike is given a good workout at a competition, the oil seems to blow through and is good for a while.

Suggest you just get him out there and wind 50 up!

Cheers - Boner.