The Edinburgh Post Has Landed!

stickinthemud

So the '.. regret to inform you letter ...' has arrived.

What do you have to do to get an entry?

1. Move overseas?

2. Ride a pre-unit?

3. Find an obscure make of machine to ride?

4. Have your daughter ride with you even if she is no good and hates it?

5. Find a friend in Scotland from which to post your entry?

6. Put your entry in the envelope with a former stars?

All of the above

I don't object to the likes of Mick Grant, Eric Boocock, Mick Wilkinson, Peter Gaunt etc and other well known names getting an entry. They have dedicated their lives to the sport and deserve it. It has to attract spectators and that's fine.

But it's the young riders (under 40/45) given an entry that I find hard to accept. They didn't compete in the 60s on these bikes.

If the event is about nostalgia which I believe it to be, then let those old enough and still capable of performing at a reasonable level ride the event instead!

Yours disgruntled

But it's the young riders (under 40/45) given an entry that I find hard to accept. They didn't compete in the 60s on these bikes.

If the event is about nostalgia which I believe it to be, then let those old enough and still capable of performing at a reasonable level ride the event instead!

Yours disgruntled

I don't think the age of a rider is relevant at all (Age Discrimination anyone?) :lol: I think it's good that younger riders are opting to ride old bikes as this must help to keep the events running in the future.

If the event was restricted to riders who rode back in the 60's ('65 at the latest) and say they were 15yrs old at the time then the minimum age to ride now would be 57. In ten years it would be 67, 77 in 20 etc. etc.

Oh, hang on - we might need to change the rules as all the old boys are dying off on us :thumbup:

Getting serious, it's plain that this isn't your first 'sorry' letter and you are obviously sick not to get an entry for 2008 but I honestly don't think a persons age should be an advantage or disadvantage...

So the '.. regret to inform you letter ...' has arrived.

What do you have to do to get an entry?

1. Move overseas?

2. Ride a pre-unit?

3. Find an obscure make of machine to ride?

4. Have your daughter ride with you even if she is no good and hates it?

6. Put your entry in the envelope with a former stars?

All of the above

I don't object to the likes of Mick Grant, Eric Boocock, Mick Wilkinson, Peter Gaunt etc and other well known names getting an entry. They have dedicated their lives to the sport and deserve it. It has to attract spectators and that's fine.

Yours disgruntled

Srange reading your post. I know people who have taken advantage of each of the above and even know some who are exploiting more than three of the above to get an entry.

At the end of the day though lets be honest we will ALL keep sending our entries in in the hope of gaining an entry even though the odds are so heavily weighted against us. At a rough guess the "normal" riders i.e. those who ride week in week out supporting the sport at grass root level are probably competing for less than 100 of the potential places.

Pretty poor odds i am sure you will agree but we keep doing it. Oh well cest la vie.

One last thing you say "I has to attract spectators" to tell the truth why does it have to attract spectators? A lot of people have said that to me but i've never really understood why.

Oh well as usual "theres always another year" eventually those names will be too old and wont get an entry :lol: err then again i'll also be too old by then to :thumbup:

well stick lad you make some valid points, move overseas or have an overseas address, (i know someone who does that), ride a pre unit ( nothing wrong with encouraging that) ride obscure bike( nothing wrong with that if the thing actually did exist and was ridden in Scotland pre 65) have your daughter ride with you ( well only a couple fall into this catagory and one daughter who rides with her dad will beat you and me any time so thats ok by me) post from scotland (nowt wrong with that it is the 'scottish trial') pop your entry in with a stars... well if you must

for the rest of us try observing a couple of years that ought to help or if you've missed out more than a couple of times why not drop them a line and ask why...

I agree that it should be over 40 only. Incidentally I'm amazingly still just under 40, despite looking 50 so it would rule me out too.

If a rider who is from the pre-65 era wants a ride and has a realistic chance of competing I think maybe they should get a bit of a leg up over younger riders.

I also think they should be hammering some of the prima donna's on the modern machines but maybe less said the better or it may change the topic entirely again.

Those riders who missed out should be given a place in the following year if they observe in this years event. I am sure that any number of riders would observe this year if it assured them of a start next year. Drop the organizing committee a line and see if they would do that.

What good would that do? There are Scots trials riders who do not get through the ballot! Being a Scotsman does not guarantee a ride at the Pre65 Scottish.

Sure I admit I am a Scotsman born and bred, I'm 50 years of age now (born 1957 when Johnny Brittain won the Scottish) and I admit that I certainly did not ride a 350 Matchless in the SSDT in the 1960's, I was still at primary school then!

Also, just a point... it's the bike that should be genuinely Pre-65 not the rider....

And finally, point to make on the great idea "to observe at the trial to ensure a ride in 2009", now let me see... the event is usually 100% over subscribed which means 180 unfortunate declined entries...30 sections per day need say 1 observer per section that's 30 observers per day... 180 declines willing to observe, that oversubscribes the observers by 600% ...

Question: do the organisers have an "observers ballot" this year as well then?

Just a thought! :thumbup:

Big John

Edited by Big John

Ok so my suggestions were all a bit tongue in cheek!

The result of just having received the regret letter.

Incidentally the letter says that 'over 320 entries' were received and is very polite and well written.

Doesn't take away the pain though.

I heard on the grapevine that a high proportion (about 90?) of the entry were on Cubs.

No-one wants to see a procession of Cubs so I can understand the machine having a bearing on who gets an entry.

The organising committee have a hell of a job to do and can't please everyone.

On the issue of volunteering to observe - I agree that anyone willing to observe deserves a ride the following year.

Wouldn't be easy to keep a record of who has - just another burden on the organisers.

Wouldn't mind observing one of the days but it's a long way to travel not see the sections on at least one day.

Perhaps the committee could let the riders know what guidelines they work to.

Rumours abound about what is needed -

Having to observe 2 yrs both days to ensure a ride?

Does observing on the SSDT count? I'd find that a better option.

If a rider missed out in the ballot for 2 yrs they should be ok the next year ?

(there was a question on the entry form to check how many times entrants had competed and when the last time was)

On the issue of age, I was questioning the lower age limit on the grounds that we older riders in our 50s will soon become physically less able to ride as the years pass whereas those under 40 still have many years riding long after we have hung up our boots.

This is the top trial on the Calendar along with the Manx after all.

We'll still be there however so fingers crossed for good weather for the 10 days of our Highland holiday (yes we do stay for the SSDT!).

Have a gud 'un

I'd rather bounce on the rocks than

Stickinthemud!

Postieman arrived this morning.

I'm in :huh:

Now i believe there really is a Santa :D

Now it's sunk in i'm pooing myself :D

Don't you mean you really believe there is a God? You are one of the lucky 180.

Get the toilet rolls in OTF, you will need them to cross Meall Na Cruide!! :P

Big John

"it's the bike that should be genuinely Pre-65 not the rider...."

Good point , and when you look around at alot of pre 65 events it don't half make you chuckle .

I Guess there would be no need for a ballot if this rule was followed a little more closely too ! have a look for yourselves at a 'modern' pre 65, but then again this subject opens up a whole other can of worms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postieman arrived this morning.

I'm in :huh:

Now i believe there really is a Santa :D

Now it's sunk in i'm pooing myself :D

Well done OTF - don't worry too much as it won't be anywhere near as bad as you think. The sections aren't killers by any stretch, just tricky enough to steal marks. Best get up to Bracken for a bit of rock practise.

I got the rejection letter so won't be seeing you up there. More or less expected it after 'going in the note book' last year, though whether that actually had anything to do with it I've no idea - but I'd guess so.

At least now I haven't got to worry about how to put fiddle front forks and yokes on that are acceptable but competitive which would have cost ridiculous money, instead that money can go towards a trip to Robregordo hopefully.

Disappointed at not getting an entry but every cloud has a silver lining...

"it's the bike that should be genuinely Pre-65 not the rider...."

I Guess there would be no need for a ballot if this rule was followed a little more closely too !

I suspect that if they did, there wouldn't be enough entries to make the trial viable.....

ooooop's woody , it's the Big Black Book for you now and as for going to spain to do a two day trial

in the warm spanish sun , cheap fuel , good hospitality, warm spanish sun ,no miges,warm spanish sun

no crazy rules , warm spanish sun, cheap food and wine, cheap accomadation,warm spanish sun, and

i hear the weathers good as well , HOW COULD YOU !!!

PS see you there !